Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
Magnaflow Cat back or Axel back?????

have a 2011 SS and I am trying to decide if am going with a Cat back or Axel back street ser. system. A few questions? Whats the advantage of one over the other. I am trying to get a better sound from my vehicle and dont want to make a mistake and get the wrong one. Any feedback you can give will be great. Also does anyone have a sound clip?
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
All the sound and video clips you want ....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21289
Old 08-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I just added the Street Catback this past weekend! I love it...sounds much deeper than stock. As for how it sounds compared to the Axleback, I wouldn't know, but since the Catback replaces the resonator I would think it would have to sound better. The resonator on the L99 is a monster! I was leaning heavily towards the Axle back until I saw the Price difference from Jordan (magnaflowplus.com). I decided the delta was worth it, and with the Catback you don't have to cut the factory pipes, just take the whole thing off!

Steve
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
well with the catback you get an x-pipe, and you are deleting the resonators. basically you are changing everything from the cats back.
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgseward View Post
I just added the Street Catback this past weekend! I love it...sounds much deeper than stock. As for how it sounds compared to the Axleback, I wouldn't know, but since the Catback replaces the resonator I would think it would have to sound better. The resonator on the L99 is a monster! I was leaning heavily towards the Axle back until I saw the Price difference from Jordan (magnaflowplus.com). I decided the delta was worth it, and with the Catback you don't have to cut the factory pipes, just take the whole thing off!

Steve
Jordan @ JDP motorsports had the cheapest price anywhere for my comp cat-back. I love the sound. It's not too loud unless you get into the gas pretty good. Nice deep tone and very minimal drone. I love it!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
for your 2011 I would get a cat back. You will be getting rid of the heavy factory exhaust and replacing it with stainless steel, mandrel bent tubing and high flow mufflers. You will get the sound and performance you were looking for.

An axle back will just provide you with a different sound. However you will still be taking weight off of your camaro because the factory mufflers are heavy
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
fisherssmoke

Drives: Black SS
Showed up today, cant wait. #16580 from Planet Magnaflow. Ordered tues night here today. I will do a sound clip, I too am curious to here the sound with the Maggie. I think the other clips are stock SS's
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
winston2ss
YDLYLB

Drives: Cgm 2ssrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherssmoke View Post
Showed up today, cant wait. #16580 from Planet Magnaflow. Ordered tues night here today. I will do a sound clip, I too am curious to here the sound with the Maggie. I think the other clips are stock SS's
That's the one I got. I love it. Hope you like it too. Also the 5" tips look really cool.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknight11 View Post
have a 2011 SS and I am trying to decide if am going with a Cat back or Axel back street ser. system. A few questions? Whats the advantage of one over the other. I am trying to get a better sound from my vehicle and dont want to make a mistake and get the wrong one. Any feedback you can give will be great. Also does anyone have a sound clip?
Do it all at once and go for this set-up, will not find a better deal anywhere and will not be dissapointed.

Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Catted Connections, and Magnaflow Catback Power Package - 2010 Camaro SS 6.2L V8

http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-1-78-...lo-p-2947.html
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknight11 View Post
If all you are looking for is better sound the axle back is all you need. If you are looking to extract every last bit of power form your engine then go with the cat back.