Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
naga
Always be positive!!!

Drives: IMB 1ss/ MT
Question How many quartz for LS3 Tarnsmission

Hey guys how many quartz does the ls3 transmission take??

Borla ATAK catback/ K&N CAI/ Diablo Tune for now
naga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
4 Quarts will fill it.

Are you going to use the Mobil 1 Dex3 based ATF? I did and it really works well. Quite a noticeable improvement in the synchro action. It is worth tracking it down.

If you do not have it already - get a funnel and 4 feet of rubber hose to easily refill the tranny from the engine compartment area. Super easy.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
quartz, wow.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
never heard of a quartz Tarnsmission
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
4 Quarts will fill it.

Are you going to use the Mobil 1 Dex3 based ATF? I did and it really works well. Quite a noticeable improvement in the synchro action. It is worth tracking it down.

If you do not have it already - get a funnel and 4 feet of rubber hose to easily refill the tranny from the engine compartment area. Super easy.

-Mark.
Is this the same as Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? Also, do you have any pics of where the fill plug is located and the drain? Thanks!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
naga
Always be positive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
quartz, wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
never heard of a quartz Tarnsmission
My bad typing error, I meant quarts!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
naga
Always be positive!!!

Quote:
4 Quarts will fill it.

-Mark.
thanks SSMIKE, i thought of going with RP Synchromax... since I have RP on my engin and rear diff.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
4 Quarts will fill it.

-Mark.
forget the "search"... look at your owner's manual.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Is this the same as Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? Also, do you have any pics of where the fill plug is located and the drain? Thanks!
Yup, it is the older version of the synthetic ATF. They have 2 synthetic ATF formulas on the shelf so watch for that.

You will not have any difficulty figuring out which one is the drain and which one is the fill once you get under there and look. The drain is on the bottom and fill is higher up on the drivers side.

-Mark.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
forget the "search"... look at your owner's manual.
The owners manual will tell you to use the special GM spec manual tranny fluid that was in there from the factory. I do not think there is an aftermarket version that would "technically" meet the spec. You can use GM fluid if you want but I tried the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF because of the reports of improved synchronizer action by others that have used it. The M1 fluid makes the gear shift smoother than the factory fill fluid especially when the tranny is cold. It helps get rid of the "notchy" gear change feeling. I do not want to switch back.

The M1 stuff is stinky but worth the pain. GM factory fluid does not have a strong smell. It just looks like any other red ATF. You make the call.

-Mark.

Last edited by Stingr69; 08-26-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Quote:
Yup, it is the older version of the synthetic ATF. They have 2 synthetic ATF formulas on the shelf so watch for that.

You will not have any difficulty figuring out which one is the drain and which one is the fill once you get under there and look. The drain is on the bottom and fill is higher up on the drivers side.

-Mark.
Thanks Mark! I just bought Mobil 1 syn ATF and it says for '05 and older GM cars. Is this the right stuff?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Thanks Mark! I just bought Mobil 1 syn ATF and it says for '05 and older GM cars. Is this the right stuff?
Sounds good! Let us know how you like it.

-Mark.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by naga View Post
My bad typing error, I meant quarts!!!

lol, PHEW!!!!!
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote