Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
LineofPerfection
 
LineofPerfection's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro "Big Blue"
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Versailles, Kentucky
Posts: 275
4000 miles and in need of a new rearend

I took my car to the dealer for a clunking / backlash problem in the rearend. Any time I change gears at a slower speed you can really feel and hear the backlash. My car only has 4,200 miles on it and the dealer sais that the pinion bearing needed to be replaced along with the ring and pinion, bearings and seals. The opted to put a new rearend in it. I am happy for that. Has any one else had this problem? They are also replacing the radio because it has blurry spots on the display screen from the inside(looks like finferprints).
__________________
Big Blue

LineofPerfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
SSLarry

 
Drives: 2SS LS3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southeast Florida
Posts: 1,408
Thats exactly the kind of thing they wouldn't replace under warranty if you had any forced induction. Yours failed because of a manufacturing defect, but if you had a blower, they would claim it was over stressed due to increased power.

This is the kind of thing that is keeping me from getting a Maggie.
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
LineofPerfection
 
LineofPerfection's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro "Big Blue"
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Versailles, Kentucky
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineofPerfection View Post
I took my car to the dealer for a clunking / backlash problem in the rearend. Any time I change gears at a slower speed you can really feel and hear the backlash. My car only has 4,200 miles on it and the dealer sais that the pinion bearing needed to be replaced along with the ring and pinion, bearings and seals. The opted to put a new rearend in it. I am happy for that. Has any one else had this problem? They are also replacing the radio because it has blurry spots on the display screen from the inside(looks like finferprints).
Dealership replaced rearend now after about another 500 miles the problem/noise has returned. It has been sitting at the dealership all week waiting on an engineer to look at it and make some kind of determination of the problem. On a side note the serviced department "curbed" my front right wheel but will not own up to it. When I found the damage it had yellow paint on it, funny so does the lift in the shop !!
__________________
Big Blue

LineofPerfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Skyblu

 
Skyblu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 995
Just curious, before they replaced it was yours making a roaring noise especially when you turned at slow speeds? Mine does that and the first time they replaced fluid and added limited slip additive and worked for about 2500 miles it's doing it again but they claim they can't hear the noise this time so I have to wait till it gets louder. I know another guy on here has the same issues as mine just wondering about yours?
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
LineofPerfection
 
LineofPerfection's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro "Big Blue"
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Versailles, Kentucky
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
Just curious, before they replaced it was yours making a roaring noise especially when you turned at slow speeds? Mine does that and the first time they replaced fluid and added limited slip additive and worked for about 2500 miles it's doing it again but they claim they can't hear the noise this time so I have to wait till it gets louder. I know another guy on here has the same issues as mine just wondering about yours?
Mine doesn't have a roaring noise it has a lot of backlash and backlash clunk. The dealership called today and said that the GM rep aknowledged a problem and said other people had the same noise and complaint but at this time they had no remedy and said it wasn't an issue at this time. My dealership told me to call GM direct and complain. On another note they replaced the wheel that they damaged off another new car, unfortunately the new car is an RS and mine is just A SS therefore the wheel is midnight silver instead of just silver. Now they are ordering me another wheel. Can you believe they took a damaged wheel and used tire (5,000 miles) and put it on a brand new Camaro to sell? CRAZY !!!
__________________
Big Blue

LineofPerfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Skyblu

 
Skyblu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 995
Thanks for the info, but I do believe about the tire and rim because the same thing happend to me at a dealer after getting my tires balanced they damaged my rim I told them I wanted it replaced and they did in the same day, so I assume they did the same thing except they did put my tire on a new rim I had about 9000 miles on mine when it happend.
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
My 5th

 
My 5th's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineofPerfection View Post
Mine doesn't have a roaring noise it has a lot of backlash and backlash clunk. The dealership called today and said that the GM rep aknowledged a problem and said other people had the same noise and complaint but at this time they had no remedy and said it wasn't an issue at this time. My dealership told me to call GM direct and complain. On another note they replaced the wheel that they damaged off another new car, unfortunately the new car is an RS and mine is just A SS therefore the wheel is midnight silver instead of just silver. Now they are ordering me another wheel. Can you believe they took a damaged wheel and used tire (5,000 miles) and put it on a brand new Camaro to sell? CRAZY !!!
I just had the differential oil changed and I'm hearing a kind of growling sound when turning. The noise is louder when the turn is tighter. Is it possible that going into an open parking lot and making a bunch of tight turns will work the oil into the differential clutches and make the gowling go away? I also have noticed more backlash noise as well. I recently had the Pedders bushings kit installed along with the Xa coilovers, and thought maybe the clunking sound was more prominent because of the bushings, but maybe I'm getting too much back lash in the ring and pinion.
__________________
Mods: Ridetech coilovers, prothane bushings, braided brake lines, Pfadt ZL1 style sways, Hawk ceramic pads, Spohn trailing arms, Kooks 1 7/8 LT's, HF cats, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, MBRP rec tips, Cold Air Inductions black CAI, MGW short-throw shifter w/retro shift ball, Showstopper Engine Bling, Forgeline MD3P's 9.5 & 11", Conti DWS 275's & 315's. JDP harness and DRL's. Seibon carbon fiber GFX, Anvil carbon fiber rear spoiler. Oracle ghosted LED side marker lights.

Proud previous owner of: 1968 327 Camaro, 1972 Camaro SS 350, 1978 Z28, 1979 Z28. 2010 SS is My 5th Camaro
My 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
kaos_ss
 
kaos_ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 115
Curious??

I was just wondering if you called GM...and did you get any positive results. I'm in the same boat. My car doesn't shift properly (auto) and after attempting to repair it the dealer said GM knows there is a problem but doesn't have a solution to it at this time. I was so upset because it isn't just a noise but a performance issue.

So after calling and complaining for what seems like an eternity I didn't accomplish anything. Just wanted to see if you had better luck...


Quote:
Originally Posted by LineofPerfection View Post
Mine doesn't have a roaring noise it has a lot of backlash and backlash clunk. The dealership called today and said that the GM rep aknowledged a problem and said other people had the same noise and complaint but at this time they had no remedy and said it wasn't an issue at this time. My dealership told me to call GM direct and complain. On another note they replaced the wheel that they damaged off another new car, unfortunately the new car is an RS and mine is just A SS therefore the wheel is midnight silver instead of just silver. Now they are ordering me another wheel. Can you believe they took a damaged wheel and used tire (5,000 miles) and put it on a brand new Camaro to sell? CRAZY !!!
kaos_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
Iomss
 
Drives: IOM SS2
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1
My car 2SS is having th e same problem with 3900 miles on it today the dealer changed the fluid and pit in the additive and told me to give it a week because it's still making the same noise so I'll soon see with some added mile.
Iomss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!
 
Rage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,980
What is this backlash noise you are describing? Clunking, whirring, popping? Sorry, never heard of backlash.
__________________
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Jeanius


 
Jeanius's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Golden State
Posts: 2,457
I just had my driveshaft replaced due to a clunking noise coming from the center console, are you positive the noise is coming from the rear end?
__________________
2SS LS3 M6 - MGW - Dynatech LT's HF Cats - Magnaflow Street CB - ADM Race CAI - Pedders Xa Coilovers - Pfadt Sways
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
SSLarry

 
Drives: 2SS LS3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southeast Florida
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
Thats exactly the kind of thing they wouldn't replace under warranty if you had any forced induction. Yours failed because of a manufacturing defect, but if you had a blower, they would claim it was over stressed due to increased power.

This is the kind of thing that is keeping me from getting a Maggie.

You can get a power train warranty through Magnacharger for $250 or so for up 36,000 miles. Edelbrock offers up even better warranties.
__________________

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Skyblu

 
Skyblu's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I just had the differential oil changed and I'm hearing a kind of growling sound when turning. The noise is louder when the turn is tighter. Is it possible that going into an open parking lot and making a bunch of tight turns will work the oil into the differential clutches and make the gowling go away? I also have noticed more backlash noise as well. I recently had the Pedders bushings kit installed along with the Xa coilovers, and thought maybe the clunking sound was more prominent because of the bushings, but maybe I'm getting too much back lash in the ring and pinion.
I goes away for awhile but mine does the same thing and after they replaced the fluid it is now making the same noise and I had taken it back but they claimed could not hear it, so I waited till it got louder and will be taking it back again, It is very loud now so they should be able to hear and fix it right this time!
Skyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.