Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
VictoryRed08

Drives: 08 Cobalt LT2,
Winterizing the Camaro

I'm sure some of you just cringed at that title. But not everyone can afford to buy a beater car for the winter and keep our camaros in a warm garage.

So what will you do (assuming you get all the "fun" snow and salt we have) to winterize your camaro. Since it's RWD i'd recommend throwing a sandbag or 2 in the trunk, put them to the back and as close to the rear axle.

Also, undercoat that car, get everything oiling up real good (the place i go to actually provides a lifetime rust-proof warranty as long as i go back every year to get it done). And of course a decent set of winter tires (at the very least on the back 2 wheels).

Anything else?
VictoryRed08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
Belo

Drives: 98 Heavily Modded Pontiac GTP
Swap my summers with winter tires. Buy some winter blades and take it easy. Nothing more needed.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
IDK, mine will be driven in the winter as well, and If I remember right my old camaro didn't drive worth a damn in snow, I guess I would definitely get a set of winter treads. Here in indiana, undercoating is a must. Gonna probably throw a sub box in the car, that will add some weight. Depending on the size of the trunk is what i put in for more weight, but it won't be sand tubes, makes a mess. IDK i will figure something out.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Definitely good winter wiper blades are a must. A fold up shovel in the trunk might also be a good idea. Just in case.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Sorta

Do you guys think they will make a custom fit rubber floor mat with a 1" lip on it like they make for the tahoes, so i can just throw whatever in the back of my car, and not worry about a mess.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Sorta

Do you guys think they will make a custom fit rubber floor mat with a 1" lip on it like they make for the tahoes, so i can just throw whatever in the back of my car, and not worry about a mess.
Along those lines, I would get those similar floormats for the front as well. I have them on all my vehicles and they save the carpet a TON!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Sorta

Save this link - http://www.weathertech.com/

They will have something available that fits what you are looking for.
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Thank You Rolnslo.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Belo

Also off topic, I wonder how much weather tech spends on magazine adds. Every mother trend and c&d have a 5 page spread in them.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and I am not gonna winter drive this baby. (I also work at a Potash mine, so that would further advance the rusting.) Didn't even order a block heater.
But on my normal driver I have winter tires on all 4 corners and would reccomend it to everyone. Not just on the back. What good does it do to have the 'go' wheels sticking when the 'steer' wheels are sliding you towards a wall?
And yeah I have some of those weathertech mats and they get the thumbs up from me.
P.S. Don't forget a winter kit type thing, like one of those mini shovels, blanket and warm clothes, first aid kit and a flashlight and whatnot, in case something happens when it is -45 Celcius outside not counting the wind (YAY Canadian winters)
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Sorta

Yeah i totally want one of those for the trunk as I will be grocery shopping in this thing. (Or hauling beer!)
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Took a turn too hard last month. One of the beer cans in the back of my car got punctured. My car is just now smelling like normal. I needed one of these mats.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
When I drove the SS for a winter, I carried a bag of sand in the rear, (good for traction too if you get stuck). Keep the tank FULL.

Also, if you have to drive it during the winter, GET A GOOD COAT OF WAX ON THE CAR ASAP! And ALWAYS leave several car lengths between you and the car in front of you...not only to prevent hitting them, but to avoid them kicking up road grime and marring your paint.

Interior; winter mats, seat covers.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Kiss her goodnight for a few months, pull the cover over her, and shut the garage door...

Seriously though, any special considerations when your simply storing her over the winter?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i dont get snow in charleston.....lol

as far as storage, sta-bil in the gas tank, jack the car and spin the wheels around half way thru storage, change oil before first fireup after winter.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Now that I don't have to drive the SS during the winter, I;

1. Wash, detail, and Zaino
2. Full tank (I've never used Stabil in the gas)
3. Change oil and filter (Mobil 1)
4. Park on 4, 2X6 pieces of wood (todays tires don't really require this to avoid flatspots - I'm just anal. But I do increase the air pressure a little)
5. Trickle charger on battery
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Belo

I already have to put my R6 in the garage for the winter. I couldn't bare being without both my toys...
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #18
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Okay, I'm originally a Southern-boy so forgive my snow-driving ignorance, but I quite nearly died Saturday night after hitting ice at about 50mph and spinning across 3 lanes of traffic (all traveling that fast) in my 'stang. Do chains for tires help at all? How should you modify your driving if you do find yourself in icy conditions? I started upshifting and staying at really low revs and that seemed to help, but does anyone have any other suggestions? It was my first time driving on ice and was pretty scary.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM   #19
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Okay, I'm originally a Southern-boy so forgive my snow-driving ignorance, but I quite nearly died Saturday night after hitting ice at about 50mph and spinning across 3 lanes of traffic (all traveling that fast) in my 'stang. Do chains for tires help at all? How should you modify your driving if you do find yourself in icy conditions? I started upshifting and staying at really low revs and that seemed to help, but does anyone have any other suggestions? It was my first time driving on ice and was pretty scary.
chains are a no go unless you are in alaska or upstate new york or a place where they get a TON of snow and on ice will do nothing.

here in maryland we dont get a ton of snow. a major snow storm (1 foot+) every 5 years, and the rest is hit or miss. mostly just slow down, also i believe the camaro has a built in traction control of some sort (someone correct me if im wrong) where as the base mustang doesnt so that might have been part of your problem.

Finally if you are on ice you are screwed no matter what, however the half an inch to inch of snow we got on Saturday shouldnt have been a problem normally.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #20
Belo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatter99 View Post
Honestly, go to a icey, snowy EMPTY parking lot. Mess around and get the feel for your car in these conditions.

Give yourself more room to stop. Gradually change lanes, and only if necessary and there isn't "mush" inbetween the tire tracks. Follow other cars paths.

There isn't much you can do about black ice except try and control a car that is uncontrollable.

Snow tires will really help, but not as much as an AWD car.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
VICTORY RED 1SS
booyaah

Drives: VICTORY RED 1SS
I'm wondering how anyone who could afford a new Camaro could "not" afford a winter beater.
Seriously.
I can find lots of trucks and cars for 300 to 600 dollars that run good, are safe, have heat, pass inspection, and look decent enough to park in the driveway without pissing off the neighbors.

I know some people will disagree purely on principle, people who want to drive it all year just because its only a car and doesn't need special treatment, and thats their choice.

But no one that can afford to be buying a new car can use the excuse they can't afford a winter beater...
VICTORY RED 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #22
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Anyone looking for the 'sand in gas-tank' discusison, it can be found here Continued offtopic discussions

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #23
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Anyone looking for the 'sand in gas-tank' discusison, it can be found here Continued offtopic discussions
sorry.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
sorry.
I'm as guilty as you. no worries

Winterizing the Camaro

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #25
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
Winterizing and storage of your New Camaro G5

Ok first thread I started and maybe my last.

But I am wondering if anyone knows a good website and or has had good experiences storing cars for long periods of time. (Months before taking on the road again.)

So I start this thread to get the does and don'ts.

I live and Michigan and this car is going to be my collector. Storing in winters etc. My last car (SSR) Never saw rain....I was a little anal I know. It had 5000 miles in 3 years and it was showroom condition when I sold it. All I did was pull it the garage come October. I know that is not the right thing to do or maybe it is. I only had that car for 3 years I want to pass this car on to my boys in 25.

With that said
Any advise.
Body - cover I know is key
Wheels/tires
Powertrain
interior
so forth and so on.

I know this year is not an issue but I know come next October my new SS goes in the Garage after

Thanks in advance to all that offer input.