Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Midnight Maro

Drives: '99 Maro SC V6, '10 Maro SS/RS
Law Enforcement Members - Help me understand the law!

So I was driving home today and I pull up to six Georgia State cops standing on the side of the road stopping everyone. An elder State Trooper asks for my license which is from Illinois. I'm on temporary assignment in Georgia at the moment. He then goes on to tell me that my tint is illegal in Georgia because the max in Georgia is 32%. (my tint is 35%, which is less tinted right??) I told the officer that I believe the tint is 35% and not illegal and he gives me the rant about him doing this Job for 15 years and he can tell if its darker or not. I wasn't trying to be rude to the cop or tell him that his eye sight is getting worse, but I tried to explain if it is darker than the limit then I didn't know it was because I ordered 35% when I got it done. He then makes me pull over to the side of the road and pulls out his window meter and it reads 33%. He then tells goes on me that the tint strip I have on my front window is illegal because it is 10 inches thick and the limit in Georgia is 6 inches. (I measured when I got home and it is 4.5 inches in the center and 7 inches on the edge due to the curve of the window.) Besides this cop being a complete jerk to me, what was going on here.

I guess my real question is, if my car is registered in Illinois, my license is from Illinois and I don't live in Georgia. Can I get a ticket for not meeting the Georgia tinting laws even though they meet the requirement for Illinois?

He let me go without a warning or a ticket, but I'm starting to think that it was because he didn't have a case and was just giving me hell because he was jealous I'm crusing in my '10 Camaro.

Thoughts? Responses? I'm really curious here.

1/4: 13.330 @ 105.52 MPH - bone stock
Midnight Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Lava
LSU Tigers!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I think he was a little bit a jerk, and you might have been a little to talkative. Yes Sir is always a good answer unless he starts with writting a citation. Then stating your case would have been a little more acceptable. As far as your tint being a little darker than the 35% you ordered, that is due to the factory glass having a slight tint to it already for UV. Either way you were more than likely only going to get a warning. Your an Illinois resident, that is the state you reside so his states rules on tint do not apply and he knew that. Take it from me if he wanted I'm sure he could have found something to write a citation for.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
If you are following your states laws you are fine. If he tickets you, any common sense judge would throw that ticket right in the toilet. You can't realistically think that a person following their own state laws would have to remove his tint to enter Georgia.
What a crock of crap. Besides, at 33% you were still within the law in Georgia. He knew he had nothing, that's why he did nothing.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Whats was going on in the area?

We just had a GAF this weekend [beer fest] and near the place cops just did traffic, 2-3 miles out in a radius they were just grabbin folks at random. And you could of been in a drag net.

I just miseed it myself friday night, a cop pulled across the road and into the left lane in front of me and just started to go real slow, like he wanted over but no signal. I just slowed down more, dude in the right lane pulls on by and WHAM lights glaore, as he was fishing for someone dumb enough to pass to pull over.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
This thread has Fail written all over it...
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This thread has Fail written all over it...
Haha.

Well i am a LEO in Massachusetts and to me it just sounds like you met a trooper who was having a ruff day. Normally we/they are not like that, the only reason we could get that way is if like he said, we were getting lip from the operator. As far as you living in IL. as long as you abide by your states laws you are fine in any other state, UNLESS you are residing in georgia for school and that they can prove you have been staying there for more than 30 days then you must abide by georgia laws. Its weird but by your story it seems like you are in the clear and should not worry about it.

As far as the 6 troopers all together, here in massachusetts the past 2 weeks and the next week all departments and state have whats called a "highway traffic safty grant" also called here as "Click it or Ticket" this grant is funded by the government and allows police to work after shift in groups randomly stopping vehicles for sobriety checks and or vehicle inspection check points. This is most likely what you encountered.

Hope this info helps
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Midnight Maro

Genz, I wasn't aware of anything going on in the area and it was a Sunday. I was just thinking the tickets quotas must have been a little low for the month so they were trying to make up for in it in the last couple days. :-)

Thanks guys for your input. I'm not big on breaking the law, no matter how silly they may be, I was trying to decide if I should remove my tint while I'm down here if its going to get me un-needed attention, but since they have no case, I'll leave it alone.

And Lava, I'm sure you're right about the talkative point, but if someone acuses me, I automatically go into defend mode, especially with how much a jerk this guy was being. So much for the Georgia southern hospitality. lol

Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Midnight Maro

Thanks TRC. That's probably what was going on. Good thing I alwasy buckle up!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
CHVY-2SS

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
You were exactly right. He didn't write you a ticket because he didn't have a leg to stand on. Where ever your vehicle is registered is the states law you need follow. Atleast where window tint is concerned.
CHVY-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Haha.

Well i am a LEO in Massachusetts and to me it just sounds like you met a trooper who was having a ruff day. Normally we/they are not like that, the only reason we could get that way is if like he said, we were getting lip from the operator. As far as you living in IL. as long as you abide by your states laws you are fine in any other state, UNLESS you are residing in georgia for school and that they can prove you have been staying there for more than 30 days then you must abide by georgia laws. Its weird but by your story it seems like you are in the clear and should not worry about it.

As far as the 6 troopers all together, here in massachusetts the past 2 weeks and the next week all departments and state have whats called a "highway traffic safty grant" also called here as "Click it or Ticket" this grant is funded by the government and allows police to work after shift in groups randomly stopping vehicles for sobriety checks and or vehicle inspection check points. This is most likely what you encountered.

Hope this info helps
Nice logical answer. Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
raqball
The little LS that could

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Sounds to me like the officer was just being a jack ass to be honest...

Every state is different... Some states say issue a warning to out of state drivers, some states say out of state plates are exempt, and some states allow ticketing...

In Georgia, it's a ticket if your tint does not meet Georgia tint laws even if you have out of state plates...

Quote:
Georgia's window tinting law was struck down as unconstitutional last year because the provisions applied only to vehicles registered in Georgia. "House Bill 20 corrected the language so the law applies to all vehicles, whether registered in Georgia or another state,"
---Bel RX45 with laser shifters
---4 gauge cluster pack
---VIO 1.5 in car camera system with DVR
---CoStar / BlueStar
---MPD Spolier (awaiting delivery)
---Taillight lenses, bezels, side markers, and reverse lights all blacked out
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Sounds to me like the officer was just being a jack ass to be honest...

Every state is different... Some states say issues a warning to out of state drivers and others allow ticketing...

In Georgia, it's a ticket even if you have out of state plates...
WOW! I would fight that to the end just on principle.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Look at your windshield, by standard to be sold in the US there will be some guide marks on each end of the upper portion of the windshield. I think they are at 6". This is what they look for as far as illegal size of the strip. Most states enforce this as well. The officer is trained to look for the marks when a tint strip is across the windshield top.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
raqball
The little LS that could

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
WOW! I would fight that to the end just on principle.
I agree.... It still will boil down to officer discretion... Most rational officers still would not issue a ticket to an out of state vehicle, but they could...

What happened here was a Georgia resident who was ticketed for tint, sued the State because the law was unconstitutional as it discriminated against Georgia residents by allowing out of state drivers to have darker tint...

They fixed the law because of this and made all vehicles on Georgia's roadways subject to Georgia tint laws...
---Bel RX45 with laser shifters
---4 gauge cluster pack
---VIO 1.5 in car camera system with DVR
---CoStar / BlueStar
---MPD Spolier (awaiting delivery)
---Taillight lenses, bezels, side markers, and reverse lights all blacked out
raqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
Hey here is a list of tint laws that i have for each state if you guys want to check this out.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #16
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
the law is something we follow, or try to. now u understand law.
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #17
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
I think it pathetic on cop part and glad you made the limit probably got him really mad
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote