Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Silent...
 
Silent...'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
Dealer tweaked alignment, but wants it back?

My '12 Camaro 2LT was pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel was straight, even when riding on a road that was slightly higher in the center than on the sides, as typically with many roads. The car only has 2400 miles. So the dealer took it in under warranty. GM will do an alignment under warranty up until 7,000mi I was told. So they found the rear was out slightly and adjusted it. However, they want it back for another technician to take a look at it (he wasn't in on Saturday) because the alignment tech thought it was still pulling when slight bumps were encountered. This is that I interpreted from my conversation with the service manager. I know, I should have spoken directly to the alignment tech. What troubles me is that the service management said something about his alignment tech that maybe he was just a little jittery today. Yes, I'm confused as well. LOL

So I just wanted to run this situation by our Camaro5 members before I decide to let them have it back. I will be able to drive it later on to see how the alignment is now. Yesterday when I picked it up, it was very windy.
__________________
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels;
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MRT V2.0; and VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
My '12 Camaro 2LT was pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel was straight, even when riding on a road that was slightly higher in the center than on the sides, as typically with many roads. The car only has 2400 miles. So the dealer took it in under warranty. GM will do an alignment under warranty up until 7,000mi I was told. So they found the rear was out slightly and adjusted it. However, they want it back for another technician to take a look at it (he wasn't in on Saturday) because the alignment tech thought it was still pulling when slight bumps were encountered. This is that I interpreted from my conversation with the service manager. I know, I should have spoken directly to the alignment tech. What troubles me is that the service management said something about his alignment tech that maybe he was just a little jittery today. Yes, I'm confused as well. LOL

So I just wanted to run this situation by our Camaro5 members before I decide to let them have it back. I will be able to drive it later on to see how the alignment is now. Yesterday when I picked it up, it was very windy.
Any chance you can post your alignment sheet from Saturday?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Silent...
 
Silent...'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Any chance you can post your alignment sheet from Saturday?
They did not have me sign or give me any paperwork since they considered that the job was not complete.
__________________
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels;
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MRT V2.0; and VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Take it back and make certain you get a before and after wheel alignment print out. We'll be able to speak to the issue with a good degree of accuracy at that time.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Bump for an update.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Ventmaster

 
Ventmaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,552
Sounds like dealerspeak for "We don't have anybody here on Sat that really knows how to use this thing."

Take it back for the 'Monday thru Friday guy' to make it right, and take Pete's Street/Performance alignment figures for him to go by!

I did mine and it really makes a difference.
__________________
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Silent...
 
Silent...'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I asked again about what they perceive the issue is. I was told that the alignment tech just thought that something with the suspension may need a look over because he thought is was veering off too much on small bumps/imperfections in the road. I drove it last night on a good highway 50-70 mph ranges and it felt good and steady, tracked straight w/ what I believe is reasonable corrections for the crown of the road whether it be the left or right of a 4 lane highway.
__________________
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels;
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MRT V2.0; and VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: yummy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,369
Maybe the tech thought he may have left something loose or missed something after it was out the door ,and they didn't want to alarm you to that fact. So, they made up some other BS story.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
Dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I asked again about what they perceive the issue is. I was told that the alignment tech just thought that something with the suspension may need a look over because he thought is was veering off too much on small bumps/imperfections in the road. I drove it last night on a good highway 50-70 mph ranges and it felt good and steady, tracked straight w/ what I believe is reasonable corrections for the crown of the road whether it be the left or right of a 4 lane highway.
Don't forget to get and post the before and after alignment specs.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Silent...
 
Silent...'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
Spec Sheet
Attached Images
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (35.8 KB, 46 views)
__________________
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels;
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MRT V2.0; and VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent... View Post
Spec Sheet
Does your car feel any different? Better? Worse? The same?
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Silent...
 
Silent...'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS White Born: 11/10/11
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 108
I drove it one time after the Saturday alighment, that was Tuesday evening, and it felt good and tracked straight. On Wednesday, the suspension tech basically just checked torques etc on the suspension and underbody and all was ok.
__________________
*Grey Hockey Stripes; Heritage Grill; GM GFX - Unpainted Argent Gray; GM Dovetail Spoiler; Rivercity Creations custom painted rear bowtie, RS & Taillight Bezels;
*RX Catch Can;CAI; MRT V2.0; and VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB
Silent... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,143
The specs on your alignment sheet are all within the GM specs. At Pedders we would consider your alignment sloppy. There is a much better driving car hiding behind your green range close enough for government work close enough alignment . If you are willing to pay for an alignment I would say it would be worth every dollar spent. This is how I think your Camaro should be aligned.

Front Caster: No adjustment from the factory
Front Camber: -.75
Front Toe: ZERO
Rear Camber: ZERO
Rear Toe: IN .10

Your steering will be more on center and feel more precise. We will have reduced some of the factory understeer and have a Camaro that drives as good as yours looks.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my car back! Great dealer service! CrzyGamr2 Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences 15 03-25-2011 10:47 AM
My local chevy dealer will not give me back my deposit! bmorecam Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 21 03-02-2011 11:00 PM
Car being taken back by dealer??? What?? 1BADLS3 Off-topic Discussions 15 02-28-2011 06:27 PM
Dealer wrote back that he wants $1000 down & $2500 over sticker elvism Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 32 12-17-2009 08:28 AM
Some Dealer Info..... KarlChev Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 82 04-23-2009 08:16 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.