Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion Come chat about other cars.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
Key senator calls for GM head to step down

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...p/267666?cid=5
Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
While it may be true that automaker execs have had their heads in the sand, where are the senators calling for the heads of the executives from the banking and investment industry? These guys are such hypocrites it makes me sick.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
While it may be true that automaker execs have had their heads in the sand, where are the senators calling for the heads of the executives from the banking and investment industry? These guys are such hypocrites it makes me sick.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
how about the head of the senate steps down...

when do you ever see government cut costs! NEVER!!

the nerve of these morons...they are the reason the car companies can't make cars americans want

c.a.f.e stupid regulations....not to mention the unions and their contributions to these politicians

this whole thing is like a big joke and we're in the movie idiocracy...this is what it has to be right

this whole thing is a joke and ashton kutcher is going to pop out and say " you got punked!" right??

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 12-07-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: No party politics.
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
I would agree 100%
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Wagoner I'm on the fence about. He's done good and he's also made his fair share of mistakes. I can see both arguments.

Nardeli hasn't had time to prove himself at Chrysler yet, and the sad state of Chrysler has essentially be inherited, but I don't hold out high hopes there. There is some good strength in the team under him. He just seems out of place.

Mulally must stay. He's done a fantastic job at Ford and I think he actually deserves a raise.

Agreed with the government leadership needing to go. Now there's a group that's out of touch with good business principles.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Fandango
(In Z/28 Therapy)

Drives: 67, SS - RS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Fandango
Anyone remember the Saving GM on MSNBC? GM's CEO made 25 million and the Company lost 19 million last year. I agree that if GM's CEO goes, All the Wall Street CEO's should go away too.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandango View Post
Anyone remember the Saving GM on MSNBC? GM's CEO made 25 million and the Company lost 19 million last year. I agree that if GM's CEO goes, All the Wall Street CEO's should go away too.
+1
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Regardless of what happens, I know for a fact that GM has to restructure.....Even if it means to shed brands. I mean, I know for sure Saturn has to go......
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"

Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Restructuring from the top is the first step, then lowering labour cost, HAS to be next, if we expect to compete in this market. The imports sales declines are a lot less, than the domestic, and their still opening new plants, especially in Ontario.
Don't get me wrong, I fully support the domestic companies, but we really have to ask ourselves...IS LABOUR REALLY WORTH, THE SO CALLED
$30/hr. especially when the imports are doing it for less?

A comment was recently placed on a Canadian news network website, about the job losses in Ontario. Don't shoot the messanger, as many of you like to do.
This lady commented that when she was let go by GM, she knew the day was coming. It was because SHE knew, deep in her heart that her job was not really worth $30/hr that she was getting and something had to give.

Take this info for what it's worth, but I didn't make this up.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
I can't change the size of this, but this is a very big
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
BigRigMike

Drives: 2010 Ford Fusion
Quote:

Why would we want to fire them? The managers at AIG were so good that they are getting a bonus just to stay.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...yZo&refer=home
BigRigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
OH, I don't wanna hear it. My life will have nothing to do with AIG!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
No politics or this thread is bye-bye - please.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
kanakattack

Drives: wife's xterra
Straight from the source.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081208/us_nm/us_gm_ad
kanakattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
While I do not support the call for removal of the Big 3 CEOs by Congress (who are just plain idiots, IMHO), who would you get to replace them?

No Business person of any caliber would pursue or want to step into any of these companies and have to deal with Congress, labor, fiscal, economic, sales, image, and the host of other problems.

No CEO would want his legacy to be, "I saved GM but had to cut 25,000 workers, slash pay, shutdown manufacturering divisions, and eliminate our dealer network".

I think the best decision would be to maintain current leadership and allow them to prove once again why they are in the positions they are in. These individuals did not get to where they are by being morons. Maybe they've just had their heads up their ass for a while but I'm pretty sure they have been extracted as of recent!!

Remember too that a "known evil" is sometimes better than the "unknown".
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
His response should be...sure Senator Dodd. I will step down for my failures (at least the ones your perceive) at GM, as soon as you step down for your failure to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac which ultimately led to many of the problems we are seeing today.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #19
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Wagoner makes like...2 million - I'm sure there've been bonuses, etc...but check out Forbes (I think)...they have a listing and ranking of various CEOs...Wagoners among the lowest paid in the Industry. Anyways, he's now making $1 with whatever stocks he hasn't forfieted. Wagoner's brilliant; and imho -- he MUST stay...

Wagoner was responsible for bringing in Lutz (who completely overhauled design and quality), he was the guy who got GM into expanding markets like China. All the current restructuring efforts took place under him, too. Ask anybody within the company what those efforts are; HUGE. And...btw - there would be no ZR1 without him...

There are, of course, mistakes that have been made. And I'd be naive to think that someone couldn't do Wagoner's job better. But if Dodd thinks he knows diddly about the Auto Industry to make an educated call for Wagoner's resignation...he's a fool. GM may be dead already if it wasn't for Wagoner...

EDIT:

Then there's this:
http://jalopnik.com/5103989/the-case...o-rick-wagoner
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Wagoner makes like...2 million - I'm sure there've been bonuses, etc...but check out Forbes (I think)...they have a listing and ranking of various CEOs...Wagoners among the lowest paid in the Industry. Anyways, he's now making $1 with whatever stocks he hasn't forfieted. Wagoner's brilliant; and imho -- he MUST stay...

Wagoner was responsible for bringing in Lutz (who completely overhauled design and quality), he was the guy who got GM into expanding markets like China. All the current restructuring efforts took place under him, too. Ask anybody within the company what those efforts are; HUGE. And...btw - there would be no ZR1 without him...

There are, of course, mistakes that have been made. And I'd be naive to think that someone couldn't do Wagoner's job better. But if Dodd thinks he knows diddly about the Auto Industry to make an educated call for Wagoner's resignation...he's a fool. GM may be dead already if it wasn't for Wagoner...

EDIT:

Then there's this:
http://jalopnik.com/5103989/the-case...o-rick-wagoner
No one called for a change in leadership after Pearl Harbor. To some extent or another this is an embarrassing failure of the whole American auto industry, and it can't be blamed on 3 CEOs and their entire staffs. Recklessly changing leadership like that will only lead to more mistakes and more problems. The people running the companies would be inexperienced or simply wrong for their positions. Leaders, while usually flawed in so many ways, are necessary to make things happen. GM has a good leader, and asking Wagoner to leave is pretty much handing the industry to Japan.

Those calling for the end of the American car industry are borderline traitors to their country's success and would gladly sabotage its future for their own personal gain.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
No one called for a change in leadership after Pearl Harbor. To some extent or another this is an embarrassing failure of the whole American auto industry, and it can't be blamed on 3 CEOs and their entire staffs. Recklessly changing leadership like that will only lead to more mistakes and more problems. The people running the companies would be inexperienced or simply wrong for their positions. Leaders, while usually flawed in so many ways, are necessary to make things happen. GM has a good leader, and asking Wagoner to leave is pretty much handing the industry to Japan.

Those calling for the end of the American car industry are borderline traitors to their country's success and would gladly sabotage its future for their own personal gain.
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
hmmm i see both sides....

Wagoner has done a good job amping the quality of the cars that are now produced and the designs and what not...

but also he didn't act quickly by cutting down production of suvs/trucks
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #24
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra

Wagoner has done a good job amping the quality of the cars that are now produced and the designs and what not...

Old 12-09-2008, 03:58 AM   #25
swifttal
Man, this guy's a d!*k

Drives: '91 Z-28, '94 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm79 View Post

But he did introduce a first-ever market of Hybrid SUVs - been post whoring this video tonight, sorry if you've already seen it. Great interview from Bob Lutz talking about GM quality (both products and management) Check it out

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28110296
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote