Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
fastfret7

Drives: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP
Question Would you still get the Camaro if...

I have a friend that works for a Dodge dealership and he told me that I could get a SRT Challenger off their lot for only 39K and the other day I saw in the paper a new Corvette for 40K. So, my question is "would you still get the Camaro" and "will it have the same resale value as a corvette or a Challenger SRT"? Just keeping the forums going

In my garage:
2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP in Infa-red 1 of 101
1970 EL Camino 454 SS w/ 4 speed muncie Red w/ Blk stripes
2010 2SS/RS Camaro w/hurst 6 spd in black on black w/red rally stripes

fastfret7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I'd still get the Camaro... It's still less money and in my opinion a better looking car than the challenger... and the Corvettes don't have a back seat and really suck to get in and out of.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
same as a challenger.. much lower than a corvette.(rasale value wise)

i would get the corvette if that was what i needed. but i need more than two seats so you can guess what i would go with
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up good question

Yes I will still buy one I still have to save more money, so it will be around November or Dec 09. Corvette is cool and the chally is nice but there can only be one CAMARO

Last edited by Camaro68; 12-07-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: info
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
IMO it depends on what you want.

I like the Camaro more than both the Challenger and Corvette. They could be priced LESS than the Camaro and I'd still opt for the Camaro.

We already know an SS Camaro can outperform the RT and probably SRT Challenger, so unless you find the Challenger better looking I can't see a reason to take it over the Camaro.

I've never been a Corvette fan. Camaro has always been the better looking of the 2 to me. And I still hate the exposed headlights on the Corvette now, so...

Ultimately Appearance is more important than Performance imo. It's just icing on the cake that the Camaro is great in both departments. LOL
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i ain't got a clue on resale value, but i don't plan on selling it either. as far as choosing, the chally's a good car & all, but it's too heavy and the interior looks plain & cheap. the corvette would be a thinker. if i want a new car, i'd go with the camaro - almost vette performance for about $10k less + back seats + excellent body = awesomeness. if i could get a late-model C5 Z06 for $30k or less (really low miles, excellent in & out), insurance wouldn't be un-Godly (doubtful), & i could manage without rear seats again, i might think about it.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
I think I'd take the difference between the Challenger and whatever Camaro I decide to get's price is, buy the Camaro, and invest the rest in GM stock.

That's just me.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: THRSS #2 / CGM#1
My passion lies with the Camaro...plain and simple. I like the Chally, but would never break for one just because it's almost the same price range. It's a totally different car. The vette? Well, I LOVE vettes...but again, passion is with the Camaro. I'm not against buying a vette...but I WANT A CAMARO!
The build of THRSS #2
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 AM   #9
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
If your posting this than part of you must interested in the other cars...

Either way you cant go wrong, just pick the one that best suits you!
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
you can go wrong buying the sloppy drives like a boat challenger....
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
you can go wrong buying the sloppy drives like a boat challenger....
The challenger recorded a higher slalom time and better handling marks than the mustang bullitt with its sport setup. It may look like one, but it doesnt handle like a boat. It's 4.6 0-60 time and higher resale value, (less units produced) make the chally a very appealing option to many who preffer its styling.

No one is going to suggest the challenger be a track car, but how many people are really going to use their cars to the fullest extent of their handling capabilities?

Like i said in my original post... "pick the one that best suits you", if that be Handling / speed, go corvette, if he wants a cruiser with muscle, go chally, and if you want the Maro, go for it.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #12
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
The challenger recorded a higher slalom time and better handling marks than the mustang bullitt with its sport setup. It may look like one, but it doesnt handle like a boat. It's 4.6 0-60 time and higher resale value, (less units produced) make the chally a very appealing option to many who preffer its styling.

No one is going to suggest the challenger be a track car, but how many people are really going to use their cars to the fullest extent of their handling capabilities?

Like i said in my original post... "pick the one that best suits you", if that be Handling / speed, go corvette, if he wants a cruiser with muscle, go chally, and if you want the Maro, go for it.

just because one of the two is less crappy doesnt mean its any less of a mistake.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #13
Boba Vette

Drives: 68 GTO, 85 TA, 94 TA, 99 TA,10 Gen5
I've seen a few Challengers in person and the only one that made me say, "cool," was a charcoal one. Seeing the Camaro Black in person made me and my wife say, "holy shit!" So, Challenger = nope.

As for Vette vs. Camaro. Well, if it weren't for the fact that I just had twins, I'd get a cyber grey C6 in a heartbeat! But, I need a backseat, so there goes that.

I've never been a Camaro fan, always owned Pontiacs. As I said before, seeing the Camaro Black in person has converted me. That and Bumblebee in Transformers!
Boba Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #14
roadtripper

Drives: 2006 GTO, 1974 Javelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfret7 View Post
I have a friend that works for a Dodge dealership and he told me that I could get a SRT Challenger off their lot for only 39K and the other day I saw in the paper a new Corvette for 40K. So, my question is "would you still get the Camaro" and "will it have the same resale value as a corvette or a Challenger SRT"? Just keeping the forums going
Yes, I would still get Camaro. I plan on keeping the Camaro - so I don't care too much about resale value. The Challenger SRT would make a good car for the wife however.
roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 AM   #15
oldbowtie

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2013 Regal GS
Number One, I'm a GM guy so the Challenger isn't even a option. The 'vette is tempting, but, as someone has already stated,..."no back seat". I've posted before that the Camaro was the first choice for both my wife and I.

Former Rides:

1966 Chevelle (1971 to 2007)
1970 Chevelle (1974 to 1991)

Next, long awaited, ride: 2SS/RS Red Jewel Tint 20" Polished Wheels
oldbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #16
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
There is not much room in the SRT Challenger back seat, unless you were a small child. I am thinking that the Camaro might be the same. I don't have to worry about transporting any kids....I want the GM produced Camaro. It is new in design and a rare car for these times. I love my Vettes too!!

Waiting on the hearings for the new GM products.....my ordered new Camaro hanging in the balance, makes for a stronger desire. I am going to do my part to improve the economy and buy this beauty!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #17
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
There is not much room in the SRT Challenger back seat, unless you were a small child. I am thinking that the Camaro might be the same. I don't have to worry about transporting any kids....I want the GM produced Camaro. It is new in design and a rare car for these times. I love my Vettes too!!

Waiting on the hearings for the new GM products.....my ordered new Camaro hanging in the balance, makes for a stronger desire. I am going to do my part to improve the economy and buy this beauty!!
There is a lot of room in an SRT8 Challenger backseat?? What are you talking about...?

Even if I could get an SRT8 at MSRP, I would still get a Camaro SS.. I like the looks of it better...And yes I like the Challengers looks as well...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
Superman, I have sat in the SRT there is no room in the back seat when I adjust the front seat to fit me. The back of the front seat is about 3 inches from the rear seat. You would need to be vertically challenged or a child to sit with any comfort in the SRT rear seat!!!

For comfort in the SRT the front seat would have to be all the way forward. I don't care about the SRT anyway!!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #19
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
If all 3 cars was the same price I would still buy the Camaro. The Challenger is just too big and bulky for my tastes plus it's ugly. The "no backseat" in the Vette doesn't bother me. I don't need a backseat and everything I keep back there (windshield shade and ice scraper) I could put under the seat or behind it. My problem with the Vette is that it's too low for where I live and for where I go. I would be tearing up the front bumper cover once a month going into and out off some parking lots.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #20
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Yeah, I'll be getting the RS fully loaded, which is still pretty much out of my price range, let allone 40000 dollars for a car.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #21
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
When they eventually go bankrupt you can get one for 20k so hold on a few months.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #22
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
just because one of the two is less crappy doesnt mean its any less of a mistake.
and just because you think its crappy, doesnt mean it is
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
383ss

Drives: 1985 IROC, 2011 Camaro
does referring to the challenger as a 'chally' make anyone else cringe? it sound totally homo.

I have driven a challenger RT and was rather unimpressed with its handling and power and the interior looked like ass.
383ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #24
OldTimer

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 MG9
I have never waited this long for a car, ever. I am not about to give up now that we are on the final stretch. I still remember seeing the Bumblebee concept in the transformers movie for the very first time and saying, " I am getting me one of those!" It seems to be getting harder to wait the closer we get to the start of production. I have to admitt too, all the negative talk about GM and the American car companies has given me new resolve to see to it I buy American.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #25
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 383ss View Post
does referring to the challenger as a 'chally' make anyone else cringe? it sound totally homo.

I have driven a challenger RT and was rather unimpressed with its handling and power and the interior looked like ass.
okay, so 'challenger' from now on... cause i ain't no homo!