Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
ctk1
Camarofanatic

Drives: 1969 SS, 1998 RS, 2010 VR 2SS/RS
Removing the Cats?

Shortly after I get my 2SS I plan on removing the stock mufflers and adding Corsa black case (aggressive) mufflers. I know that the cat really restricts the exhaust flow, and kills the sound. My question for you guys experienced with computer controlled engines is...If I remove the cats completely, it will obviously make it loud which is what I'm going for, but will it set off any lights on the dash or make the car run lousy because the computer will be getting strange information?
ctk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
I think the sounds is better with cats on. It give them a better sounds but not a louder sound level. I would keep my cats or maybe get some high flow cats!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
cats generally do not quite down an exhaust system, they can however take out the annoying rasp associated with some high flow straight through systems. Removing the cats and o2 sensors will set a code, you can either install high flow cats, o2 sims, have ur original pcm tuned for no cats. I would put on a set of long tubes with high flow cats, and have the pcm tuned accordingly.
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Do it right and put on high flow cats. You are sure to trigger codes (lights) and that might even have an effect on the way it drives....who knows right now.

Best bet is to jump on a vette forum and ask those who deal w/ the LS3's on a daily basis.....or just call CamaroSpike!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
I used to run two cats and no mufflers on my Monte Carlo, it sounded good and loud. I will be pulling the mufflers on my Camaro to hear what it sounds like, if not good than I will remove the cats and remove from the programming.

The cats do quite the exaust a little.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
From DC Surely your info is here.
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=removing+cats

Even better

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...=removing+cats
Old 12-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk1 View Post
Shortly after I get my 2SS I plan on removing the stock mufflers and adding Corsa black case (aggressive) mufflers. I know that the cat really restricts the exhaust flow, and kills the sound. My question for you guys experienced with computer controlled engines is...If I remove the cats completely, it will obviously make it loud which is what I'm going for, but will it set off any lights on the dash or make the car run lousy because the computer will be getting strange information?
Yes. Either way, you're going to need a tune, so you're better off getting a set of longtubes with catless midpipes if you want to see power. All you're going to do is piss off the PCM if you just cut the cats out without a tune. There's a downstream o2 that will detect it, most people tune them out.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Why? Is 5 rwhp really worth the effort of the custom exhast flanges and pipes, as well as the money to keep the ECU from being pissed about it? And don't say "the sound" because we have no idea what the car sounds like from the factory yet (though initial reports are damn good) and we definitely don't know what the car will sound like once you start modifying the exhaust. MOST cars sound like a can of rattled ass without the cats in place.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #9
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
My buddy has a new Mustang GT and he put in a muffler delete pipe and it sounds fantastic. Not too loud and very deep.

Removing cats will definitely throw a code unless you trick the O2 sensors.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
Why? Is 5 rwhp really worth the effort of the custom exhast flanges and pipes, as well as the money to keep the ECU from being pissed about it? And don't say "the sound" because we have no idea what the car sounds like from the factory yet (though initial reports are damn good) and we definitely don't know what the car will sound like once you start modifying the exhaust. MOST cars sound like a can of rattled ass without the cats in place.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
My buddy has a new Mustang GT and he put in a muffler delete pipe and it sounds fantastic. Not too loud and very deep.

Removing cats will definitely throw a code unless you trick the O2 sensors.
Mustangs always have, and probably alwasy will, sound better than F-bodys. It's just the way it is. You can not compare the two, one is about show and the other is about go.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
From the initial looks of the exhaust as I've seen it to now, I don't think cutting them off will do much except make you spend money on deleting PCM codes, pipes, and getting a lot of drone inside the car. If noise is your thing, cool, have at it, but gutting them is probably not going to do much for you. I never had much of a difference in performance when I was running a catd' Y-pipe and off-road Y-pipe with some mid-length headers on my car. The codes were deleted, and my trap speeds never reflected a gain either way. The sound didn't change as much until I went to LTs, and I still get a little rasp with the little pup cats' I use now. The catback was the same and cutout was always open.

It's your car, so do as you like
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99b4c View Post
I used to run two cats and no mufflers on my Monte Carlo, it sounded good and loud. I will be pulling the mufflers on my Camaro to hear what it sounds like, if not good than I will remove the cats and remove from the programming.

The cats do quite the exaust a little.
I'm thinking about doing electronically controlled cutouts... I at least want the option to not wake up the neighbors when i come home at 4 in the morning.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
I'm thinking about doing electronically controlled cutouts... I at least want the option to not wake up the neighbors when i come home at 4 in the morning.
I like your style, more power at the flip of a switch.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
If you go with electronic cutouts, do the ones from QTP.....I have them on my Chevelle and they work great. As soon as I pull out of the subdivision, hit the switch, and away we go !
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
There are those who would like to see all cars have a computer control that will not let the vehicle even start if all the factory installed and OEM emission controls are not installed and operating properly.

No joke.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
it shouldnt throw any codes. the o2 sensor still gets plugged into the new spot on the y or x pipe. its not really going to make it that much louder unless you use resonator mufflers instead of a regular muffler. the cats are for emmisions not sound.

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
Quote:
Mustangs always have, and probably alwasy will, sound better than F-bodys. It's just the way it is. You can not compare the two, one is about show and the other is about go.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here, I think the new mustangs have nice sounding exhaust but before 05 they have this high pitched sound to them that to me is not so great. As for F-bodys, LT1's have the greatest sound you can hear besides a full blown race engine at the drag strip.

As for removing cats, my dad removed/gutted his on his 96 Z28 and now gets almost the same gas mileage in the city as on the highway. My cavalier also gets better city mileage without it. Cutouts will be in the future for me in my Camaro.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
If you go with electronic cutouts, do the ones from QTP.....I have them on my Chevelle and they work great. As soon as I pull out of the subdivision, hit the switch, and away we go !
You have a '69 Chevelle??
I love you! haha

do you have any videos on youtube or anything of the cutouts in action? That sounds pretty much ideal for me since I leave pretty early in the morning.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #20
linkwpc
The punching cat

Drives: '10 Camaro SS Black W/Hugger&W/IOI
Quote:
+1 I think so too. The mufflers are in middle unlike the older camaros 94+ and the new camaro. Mufflers in the middle will always sound better then mufflers in the back. But the 05 mustang do not sound that good. They are just ok... I'm hoping the camaro will sound lots better then 05 mustang!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #21
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
The Ford has a different firing order than the LSX motor's. Has driven Corvette guys crazy for years. Still does, but the NPP exhaust is close.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
You have a '69 Chevelle??
I love you! haha

do you have any videos on youtube or anything of the cutouts in action? That sounds pretty much ideal for me since I leave pretty early in the morning.
No video of my actual car, but I am pretty sure QTP had a video on their website. There also may be one on You-tube as well.
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
JJ#48Racing
Fear the Hawg!

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Removing the cats will make it significantly louder, but the rest of your exhaust will determine if it sounds good or not. And removing cats will also set off codes which will have to be tuned out. The best way and most environmentally responsible is to use "high flow" cats. This being said from someone who currently runs no cats on his 4th gen, lol.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
The Ford has a different firing order than the LSX motor's. Has driven Corvette guys crazy for years. Still does, but the NPP exhaust is close.
Myth. The cylinders are just numbered differently, so the only difference is the actual numbers.

The Ford Modular Motor is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 with the cylinders numbered like this. Now, try starting at 5 instead of 1. 5-4-8-1-3-7-2-6

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

The LS1 firing order is 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 with the cylinders numbered as follows.

8 7
6 5
4 3
2 1

If you start at 5 on the Mod Motor, you'll see the actual firing patterns are identical.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #25
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Why can't the numbers always be the same and just the order changes, why do they have to be different.