Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
jachevy28
Camaro. Is. Life.

Drives: 2010 2SS
Frustrating rear end rattle?

Shot in the dark for thoughts...a few weeks ago I started getting a light rattle in the far rear of the vehicle, sort of sounds like a thin piece of metal bouncing around in a coffee can. It`s worse when the car is warmed up, and it only occurs under light (not full throttle) acceleration. It`s loudest about 45 mph in 3rd gear at half throttle, but also audible in 1st and 2nd...dies down a bit the higher the gear after that. Does not occur under deceleration, going over bumps, idle, neutral, etc.

The dealer checked for anything loose under there and didn`t find anything...said it must be the aftermarket exhaust (my first thought). I replaced the mufflers on the exhaust, checked clearances, heat shields, etc. and that didn`t do it...so, what would a differential or rear gear rattle sound like? Would the above description fit? Would there be any other symptoms, because everything else eems normal.

Kinda at my wits end trying to figure out where it`s coming from.

www.cardomain.com/ride/3359406

ADDITIONS:
MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust
DIY Painted Engine Cover

DELIVERED: 6/15/09
jachevy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Man, those are tough. My first thought was the baffles in the stock mufflers as there was a TSB on those, but you have replaced them.

I would get a really close inspection of the heat shields. Their mounting bolts can be tight but they can still vibrate and if too close to something, make contact and noise. There are heat shields in the engine compartment near the manifolds that caused noises for some I remember reading...

A rear end noise/gear noise would be more of a whine or howling than what you describe.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
chevyconvert

Drives: 2011 Silverado, 2011 2SS/RS Conv
I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for several things along with a noise similar to the one that you have posted. I will let you know what is found.
chevyconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
I had a magnaflow catback installed and had a slight rattle at certain RPMs. I brought it back to the shop and the mechanic said he redid one of the welds and it was fine.

1100 - 4/7/09
3000 - 5/27/09
6000 - 7/17/09 - AND
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
No rear end rattle, but I do get annoying scraping sound come Fridays, without fail.
I was concerned until someone pointed out that it was Friday it was probably just my a$$ dragging the ground.

...sorry, couldn't pass up a chance to be funny.
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
chevyconvert

Drives: 2011 Silverado, 2011 2SS/RS Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyconvert View Post
I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for several things along with a noise similar to the one that you have posted. I will let you know what is found.
I took the car in today and they reprogrammed the radio, so now my back up sensors and blinker chime works without the radio being on. As far as the rattling/dragging noise goes they stated that it is normal for manual cars.

Yep, same old bullshit, but atleast they have my complaint of the noise in their system now and if something comes up in the future I will have something to fall back on (maybe).
chevyconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
jachevy28
Camaro. Is. Life.

Drives: 2010 2SS
In the case of if you want things done right, do it yourself.....I assumed when I asked the dealer to look at the heat shield, they actually did that...guess not

After getting under there and messing with things, I think the driveshaft was hitting the heat shield, or at least so close it was making it vibrate in tune with it. I've tugged on the heat shield in a bunch of places and it appears to have helped it....the rattle is still there every now and then, but I think I'm on the right track.

www.cardomain.com/ride/3359406

ADDITIONS:
MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust
DIY Painted Engine Cover

DELIVERED: 6/15/09
jachevy28 is offline   Reply With Quote