Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Slake
eeeeeeeeee

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS LS3
Arrow Shifter friction/noise

I've taken the car in to have this looked at, and they said there is nothing wrong with it.

Upon calling them back again, and explaining that there is no way this is normal, they then told me that she have to drop the tranny to fix it.

Basically when it's in neutral, when moved left and right (not into any gears) there is a squeaky noise heard underneath the vehicle, and there is a large amount of friction. This does not interfere with me getting into any gears.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it worth dropping a tranny to fix?

Thanks,
Slake
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Slake
eeeeeeeeee

bump
Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
There could be any number of problems internally with either the transmission, shifter, or shift linkage that could be causing increased friction and squeaking. The service manual would not show the detailed internal components of these assemblies and thus the dealer would not be able to fix the internal stuff with individual components, but rather change out the complete assemblies (shifter assembly, shift linkage assembly, and finally the transmission) until they solved the problem. This is why they would have to drop the tranny - to basically get to these full assemblies. It could be something as simple as a pinched dust boot in the shifter (which would explain the friction and squeaking) or at it's worst, it could mean getting into the transmission.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Slake
eeeeeeeeee

Thanks for your time and answer. Do you think it is worth it to get them to drop the transmission? I'm debating on leaving it. Once they open the box who knows what will come out of it down the road.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Personally, I don't like anybody other than myself working on my vehicles - but that's just me. You could ask them to do a visual inspection without dropping the trans, just to make sure the dust boots are in place. You could also do it yourself. It's pretty simple if you can lift the vehicle and get under it. Just have someone on top row through the gears while you're underneath. You'll easily be able to tell where the noise is coming from (shifter, linkage, or trans). If it's in the trans... take it to the dealer. If it's elsewhere that's an easy DIY.
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Slake
eeeeeeeeee

Thanks so much Kenji. I'll do this.