Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Revenant

Drives: '11 1SS LS3 and '90 240sx hatch.
Need to be edjucated on exhaust systems...

I understand(through comparisons) that long tube headers provide stronger performance then shortys. What I don't understand(and I tried wikipedia) is the mid pipes/x-pipe area.

Are there comparisions on which is preferable?
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
When you buy LT you basically get rid of mid-pipes.

When you buy shorties you either use the factory mid-pipes or you have to buy some high-flow mid pipes.

Here is a shorty with the factory mid-pipe vs a Long Tube that replacece both the factory manifold and mid-pipe. There is still a small section that goes on to the end of the LT that will either have a HF cat or just a straight pippe (no cat).....but you get the idea.

After the shorty/mid-pipe or LT header you'll have your cat-back exhaust. The cat-back is where the X-pipe (or H-pipe) would be. So you're talking about a few different things.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Revenant

Very cool, so if I get long tube, they replace x-pipes?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
caverman

Here is a pic of the factory cat-back on the LS3. This would connect up to the mid-pipe or the the end of the LT.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 09-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Very cool, so if I get long tube, they replace x-pipes?
Ok....hopefully this won't get confusing.

Technically....No. Long Tubes don't replace the H-pipe (the factory cat-back has an H-pipe, not an x-pipe).

Now, some Mfgs like ARH will sell a system that is the Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, and about 70% of the cat-back. You would then use the last section of your factory exhaust as your mufflers or you could also buy an axel-back system for your mufflers.

ARH, and most Mfgs, also sell jsut the LT headers and either HF cats or No cats connection pipes. That would hook up directly to your factory cat-back or an aftermarket cat-back that you might buy.

The x-pipe is part of the cat-back section of your exhaust. The cat-back hooks up right after the cats (thus called a cat-back). The LT are in front of the cat-back.

You'll effectively need LT headers and a cat-back to make a complete exhaust. The cat-back can either be the factory one or an aftermarket on like Magnaflow, ARH, Borla, MBRP, etc.
Build Journal
Old 09-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Revenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok....hopefully this won't get confusing.

Technically....No. Long Tubes don't replace the H-pipe (the factory cat-back has an H-pipe, not an x-pipe).

Now, some Mfgs like ARH will sell a system that is the Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, and about 70% of the cat-back. You would then use the last section of your factory exhaust as your mufflers or you could also buy an axel-back system for your mufflers.

ARH, and most Mfgs, also sell jsut the LT headers and either HF cats or No cats connection pipes. That would hook up directly to your factory cat-back or an aftermarket cat-back that you might buy.

The x-pipe is part of the cat-back section of your exhaust. The cat-back hooks up right after the cats (thus called a cat-back). The LT are in front of the cat-back.

You'll effectively need LT headers and a cat-back to make a complete exhaust. The cat-back can either be the factory one or an aftermarket on like Magnaflow, ARH, Borla, MBRP, etc.
Ah ok, I would like to also replace the factory mufflers. I read that saves you a lot of weight.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
caverman

Quote:
Ah ok, I would like to also replace the factory mufflers. I read that saves you a lot of weight.
Yes....they are heavy (and IMO ugly) but don't expect to get so much weight savings that you would feel it. You're going to feel the power of the headers and HF cats over anything.

Look around at all the systems to determine your options. If you plan on doing everything at once they you might consider buying a complete system. KOOKS, LG Motorsports, ARH, Texas Speed....those are a few that sell complete systems.

Once you decide on a system check with the vendors on this forum. You can usually find a good deal from one of them.

Don't forget to budget for a tune.
Build Journal
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
noob2ss

Drives: 112SSRS
Would the long tubes bolt right on to the factory exhaust? Or would there need to be cuts or something added?

I wanna do it piece by piece to spread the money out
noob2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Revenant

Thanks for knowledge and help caverman.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2ss View Post
Would the long tubes bolt right on to the factory exhaust? Or would there need to be cuts or something added?

I wanna do it piece by piece to spread the money out
You can buy headers that bolt to your factory cat-back. You should also budget about $400 for either a hand-held tuner or to have your car dyno tuned.

None of it's cheap....but worth it in the end.

Quote:
Thanks for knowledge and help caverman.
No prob.....I've been researching for a long time and just pulled the trigger myself. I ended up with KOOKS, the 3" Magnaflow cat-back, and tuned by ADM Performance.

I love the sound....especially at startup. The headers give it this ever so slight rasp sound to it. Sounds awesome.

I've done alot research on the different systems so if you find one you like PM me and I'll let you know what I've heard about it and the best place I found to buy it.
Build Journal
Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
noob2ss

Drives: 112SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
You can buy headers that bolt to your factory cat-back. You should also budget about $400 for either a hand-held tuner or to have your car dyno tuned.

None of it's cheap....but worth it in the end.

I'm going to avoid a tune if possible, I dont want to void the warranty
noob2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
SSilver5gen

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Couldn't explain it better myself. Awesome explanation I was going to chime in and help out but it's in needed now. Any thoughts on the bbk headers with cats??
SSilver5gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob2ss View Post
I'm going to avoid a tune if possible, I dont want to void the warranty
I wouldn't bother with headers if you aren't going to tune. Kind of like cereal with no milk...
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote