Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
Still no SC for V6 eh?

Yeah, I'm looking high and low for Superchargers on the V6. I guess no options yet eh? Anyone hear any rumors?

So many dead supercharger teasing threads... it's about time a company does this lol.
__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Turbo is the best bet right now, i dont see a supercharger coming around any time soon. I talked to a ton of different companies, vortech, paxton, jackson, etc and nobody wants to do it. Sucks man.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,448
At this point, I believe the ONLY FI option is the STS Turbo, which is a monster. Putting down almost 400 at the wheels. I'm with you though, I'd love to open the hood and see a big shiny supercharger sitting there. It's strange nobody is stepping up with as many people are clamoring for boost on here. My guess is demand will start to skyrocket in about 3 years, when warranties start expiring. I think that is when we will see an explosion in people going to forced induction because many people with the V6 are using it as a daily driver and can't afford to take that risk on a car they need. I think a lot more V8 guys' cars are their toys, and they are much more willing to roll the dice on extreme mods. My guess is that the big performance companies know this and therefore are not going to sink $X into developing something that might only sell a couple dozen units.
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
At this point, I believe the ONLY FI option is the STS Turbo, which is a monster. Putting down almost 400 at the wheels. I'm with you though, I'd love to open the hood and see a big shiny supercharger sitting there. It's strange nobody is stepping up with as many people are clamoring for boost on here. My guess is demand will start to skyrocket in about 3 years, when warranties start expiring. I think that is when we will see an explosion in people going to forced induction because many people with the V6 are using it as a daily driver and can't afford to take that risk on a car they need. I think a lot more V8 guys' cars are their toys, and they are much more willing to roll the dice on extreme mods. My guess is that the big performance companies know this and therefore are not going to sink $X into developing something that might only sell a couple dozen units.

Not entirely true.. Anyone can piece together a turbo system, its the tuning thats the problem. I can only figure that vendors do not want to keep having to go to another business to get their own product to work correctly. I can go out and buy everything i'd need for a turbo set up, may have to customize a few parts.. but after installing it, all i would need is a good tune. If the computer wasnt such a PITA.. and if it wasnt DI, you could just use an OBDII, or an aftermarket AFC to tune it.

I agree that after a couple years, you'll start to see more and more. We might have another competitor in the making if all goes well. Mine is a daily driver, and I wouldnt hesitate to throw a turbo kit on it if i could afford it and not be trying for kids.. lol.

As for the companies, yeah demand plays a big role.. they wont put thousands in to something that wont sell. STS took the risk, and looks like its paying out for them.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Not entirely true.. Anyone can piece together a turbo system, its the tuning thats the problem. I can only figure that vendors do not want to keep having to go to another business to get their own product to work correctly. I can go out and buy everything i'd need for a turbo set up, may have to customize a few parts.. but after installing it, all i would need is a good tune. If the computer wasnt such a PITA.. and if it wasnt DI, you could just use an OBDII, or an aftermarket AFC to tune it.

I agree that after a couple years, you'll start to see more and more. We might have another competitor in the making if all goes well. Mine is a daily driver, and I wouldnt hesitate to throw a turbo kit on it if i could afford it and not be trying for kids.. lol.

As for the companies, yeah demand plays a big role.. they wont put thousands in to something that wont sell. STS took the risk, and looks like its paying out for them.
I didn't mean that they were the only ones who could build it, but they are the only ones who swallowed their pride and asked for help to tune. All I meant was that's the only kit you can buy right now that "just works."
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I didn't mean that they were the only ones who could build it, but they are the only ones who swallowed their pride and asked for help to tune. All I meant was that's the only kit you can buy right now that "just works."
Lol.. true true. We'll be seeing more options soon enough i'm sure.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Camaro Freak

 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Lol.. true true. We'll be seeing more options soon enough i'm sure.
I hope your right!! I can't wait to do a Super Charger on this car. Mine, I guess you would say , is my toy. I have a 1999 Blazer as my DD.
__________________
Camaro Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
Well... I'm not going FI just to get FI.. I really want a Supercharger in this car lol. Cmon, it's a pony car... Turbo just feels weird to me. I mean its all cool and everything, but Turbo seems to be more fussy than a SC. If i want a turbo, I'd go for an STI or something with AWD.

Seriously, if they make a SC kit for the V6, I'd thank them, and purchase it right away. You hear me SC companies? I have an account open JUST for you! The money is waiting just for a SC kit =D
__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
At this point, I believe the ONLY FI option is the STS Turbo, which is a monster. Putting down almost 400 at the wheels. I'm with you though, I'd love to open the hood and see a big shiny supercharger sitting there. It's strange nobody is stepping up with as many people are clamoring for boost on here. My guess is demand will start to skyrocket in about 3 years, when warranties start expiring. I think that is when we will see an explosion in people going to forced induction because many people with the V6 are using it as a daily driver and can't afford to take that risk on a car they need. I think a lot more V8 guys' cars are their toys, and they are much more willing to roll the dice on extreme mods. My guess is that the big performance companies know this and therefore are not going to sink $X into developing something that might only sell a couple dozen units.
Still waiting to see one run at the track... If memory serves most guys are only getting about 350 RWHP, which isn't shabby at all... but I want to see how things hold up and how it does at the track, where the car really gets a load on it...

Also car has a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Still waiting to see one run at the track... If memory serves most guys are only getting about 350 RWHP, which isn't shabby at all... but I want to see how things hold up and how it does at the track, where the car really gets a load on it...

Also car has a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty...
x2.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Still waiting to see one run at the track... If memory serves most guys are only getting about 350 RWHP, which isn't shabby at all... but I want to see how things hold up and how it does at the track, where the car really gets a load on it...

Also car has a 5 year/100,000 mile power train warranty...
Right, 3 years from now that will be about when the first orders have had theirs for five years right? I've had mine almost a year and a half and I was nowhere near first.

And my shop just did an install on an STS and their dyno showed 380-something for the RWHP which is here in Texas during the summer. But yes I completely agree that dyno and track are different animals entirely.
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
seanm@stillen
 
Drives: Grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 32
Send a message via AIM to seanm@stillen
It always is going to come down to dollars and cents. The V-6 market is smaller, less guys are going to modify their cars. The cost of R & D is pretty high, so you have to be able to absorb that cost in the number of kits you expect to sell. STILLEN has been producing supercharger kits for Nissan V-6's for years, and we know how involved some of those kits can be.
__________________
seanm@stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
I see, thanks for your input Sean. Yeah, I suppose you are right, there are move V6's out there, but most leave the V6 stock. Sigh... too bad...

On another note, I'm suprised no V8 guys have come in here and say "You should have gotten a V8 instead" LOL. But yeah, I just want to hear the SC whine in my car =(
__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 8,448
I still think there is sufficient demand for a first-to-market SC to easily recoup their R&D. But what do I know.
__________________
Help me support breast cancer research by making a donation to my team
CamaroDreams07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
Imo, I agree... as long as the SC market gets in fast... im sure a lot of Camaros would go SC. Everyone going TC because thats the only FI available... other than Nitrous.
__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
PoorMansCamaro



 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 51,772
Just waiting on that dang tune
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #17
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
I'm sure this video has been posted and watched a lot, but come on, "coming fall 2009". I hate teasers like this... I suppose they aren't doing anymore development =(

__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #18
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
I'm sure this video has been posted and watched a lot, but come on, "coming fall 2009". I hate teasers like this... I suppose they aren't doing anymore development =(


Wouldnt count on it buddy, they wont even update the thread. Got their hands busy with the 'big boys'. Can honestly say though, i didnt like the look of that set up. I like to be able to see the SC, not pipes. Of course, function over appearance, and it looks ok.. but i think it could be better.

Wish they didnt drop the ball on that.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #19
jagan323
I have no life
 
jagan323's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Top Gear Test Track
Posts: 3,192
yeah... i didnt like the wrinkle black piping... If it was like polished piping, i'd be cool with that. But given the circumstances, i'd be happy with just about any SC setup lol.

On another note... am I the only one that thinks SC is more fitting on the Camaro than a TC? I'd still go for the SC setup over TC, even if that means I'd have a slower camaro...

Don't know maybe its just engraved in my head that a Muscle Car/Pony Car is better with a SC =p

I did email lingenfelter, hope they will reply me LOL. Imo, they don't even need anymore money for R&D. THey already have a working car with the SC. They just need enough people to invest in them to start producing imo.
__________________
jagan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #20
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner
 
King Sun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville Fl
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
yeah... i didnt like the wrinkle black piping... If it was like polished piping, i'd be cool with that. But given the circumstances, i'd be happy with just about any SC setup lol.

On another note... am I the only one that thinks SC is more fitting on the Camaro than a TC? I'd still go for the SC setup over TC, even if that means I'd have a slower camaro...

Don't know maybe its just engraved in my head that a Muscle Car/Pony Car is better with a SC =p

I did email lingenfelter, hope they will reply me LOL. Imo, they don't even need anymore money for R&D. THey already have a working car with the SC. They just need enough people to invest in them to start producing imo.
naw because the word "turbo" is usually associated with sports cars and imports thats why. me myself im just waiting on reliability issues if anything else with the sts setup.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #21
SDCamaro10

 
SDCamaro10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,963
Um.. Grand National?? lol.. stock twin turbo's. Turbo's are very efficient with domestic cars, and they shouldnt be labeled as an import thing. Ive seen a lot more muscle and pony cars with twin turbos than i have with superchargers. Granted I think a lot more of the newer models go supercharged.. but they each have their advantages and disadvantages. I would like to see a supercharger for the V6, but im putting my money into a turbo system.
__________________
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
seanm@stillen
 
Drives: Grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 32
Send a message via AIM to seanm@stillen
Buick Grand National 3.8 L V-6 turbo. Fun cars. I had a 1984 T-Type and I had an 86 Grand National.

I still have a few GM turbo trucks , GMC Syclone, and GMC Tyhpoon. V-6 4.3 liter turbo.

There are positives and negatives with every setup. Generally speaking its easier to get emissions certification with a supercharger. Turbos produce a lot of heat, so there are always some issues with proper heat shielding. A turbo is more efficient than a supercharger. There are different types of superchargers - centrifugal and positive displacement that are generally used, and they have different characteristics. The positive displacement gives you more low end, the centrifugal is more linear.

At STILLEN we have used both positive displacement and centrifugal superchargers on cars and trucks.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every system.

My girlfriend works for GM and has a V-6 C5 Camaro. She wanted to twin turbocharge it. Her background was originally at AEM, and then at Turbonetics, so she knows the right people, the biggest issue with the V-6 being the engine management.

I might see if she is interested in doing either the twin turbo, or a supercharged setup on her car.
__________________
seanm@stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
Dyk-NO

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm@stillen View Post

I might see if she is interested in doing either the twin turbo, or a supercharged setup on her car.
So if your gf decided to tc her car you won't work on a sc for the v6? did I get this right?

I personally want a supercharger because my v6 is my DD and I'm not gonna go out racing everybody, but it would be nice to have a FI car without the hassle of the turbo set up.
__________________
"From ZERO to a Tire-Burning HERO!"


Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #24
seanm@stillen
 
Drives: Grey
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 32
Send a message via AIM to seanm@stillen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
So if your gf decided to tc her car you won't work on a sc for the v6? did I get this right?

I personally want a supercharger because my v6 is my DD and I'm not gonna go out racing everybody, but it would be nice to have a FI car without the hassle of the turbo set up.
What are the "hassles" of a turbo setup?
__________________
seanm@stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #25
Dyk-NO

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Posts: 887
turbo lag and like you said some kits have emission issues.
__________________
"From ZERO to a Tire-Burning HERO!"


Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.