Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
freedom 1
 
freedom 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 2008 silverado LT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: shelbyville IL
Posts: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to freedom 1
L99 LS3

What is the difference In the L99 and LS3 engines?
freedom 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
wirebender
 
wirebender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM, auto sunroof
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 579
L-99-400 hp, 6.2L V-8 with VVT is what is in the camaro with auto trans, also has AFM
LS3-426hp, 6.2L V-8 is what comes in the camaro with manual trans, NO AFM
__________________
RF CAI & res,VMAX PTB,160*,NGK,LPE upper, lower pulleys & isolator,Kooks 2"LTs&cats,FAST 90# inj.,M2W,Afco HX,ATI bal.,Alky Control, DRL Harness & LEDs,LED Fogs
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
ron10


 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: LOUISVILLE,KY..
Posts: 7,343
+1
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
TOMS1SS


 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NA
Posts: 12,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
L-99-400 hp, 6.2L V-8 with VVT is what is in the camaro with auto trans, also has AFM
LS3-426hp, 6.2L V-8 is what comes in the camaro with manual trans, NO AFM
In addition the L99 has cylinder deactivation and slightly less aggressive gearing which leads to the lower power rating. This leads to a slightly improved fuel economy but not by much. The drive tests of the automatic show there is virtually no difference speed wise (0 to 60) and (quarter mile) between the two engines.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
L-99-400 hp, 6.2L V-8 with VVT is what is in the camaro with auto trans, also has AFM
LS3-426hp, 6.2L V-8 is what comes in the camaro with manual trans, NO AFM
It does NOT have VVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearer2010SS View Post
In addition the L99 has cylinder deactivation and slightly less aggressive gearing which leads to the lower power rating. This leads to a slightly improved fuel economy but not by much. The drive tests of the automatic show there is virtually no difference speed wise (0 to 60) and (quarter mile) between the two engines.
AFM = cylinder deactivation
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?
 
Drives: #21,644
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
It does NOT have VVT
Ummm yes it does.

http://gmhightechperformance.automot...ve-timing.html
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
I stand corrected
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter
 
PQ's Avatar
 
Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 36,911
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
LS3 sux
L99 rocks
__________________
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member
 
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3's Avatar
 
Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nor☆Cal
Posts: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
LS3 sux
L99 rocks

Whatever......
__________________
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
GEEo
OKCamaros
 
GEEo's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 WRX STi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 4,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
LS3 sux
L99 rocks

LS3 rule's L99 drool's! lol
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
freedom 1
 
freedom 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 2008 silverado LT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: shelbyville IL
Posts: 4
Send a message via Yahoo to freedom 1
thanks

Thanks for the info!
freedom 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
L99 has a lower compression ratio and a less agrresive cam profile. Upgrading to a larger cam tends to be more expensive and labor intensive in this engine.

LS3 has higher compression as well as a more agressive cam....upgrading the cam in the LS3 is just as easy as the LS1,2, etc.

All depends what ya like and what direction you're going in!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GMPP releases LS9 Supercharger Kit for Camaro LS3 (and modified L99) Motor !! thecamaroguy Forced Induction - V8 287 03-29-2011 08:49 PM
LS3 engine specifications Tran Wiki 3 10-06-2010 10:56 PM
LS3 and L99? black2black10 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 26 05-07-2010 12:58 AM
Solo Performance V8 Quantum Axle-Back Exhaust Kit for LS3 and L99 GOINGSOLO2 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 1 12-03-2009 02:01 PM
L99 engine specifications Tran Wiki 0 10-19-2008 11:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.