Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
SickRS

Drives: 2002 Trans AM WS6
Cancel order???

Guys,

I ordered my Camaro on Oct 31st from Rockenbach Chevy. The sales person did not have a lot of info on the car, infact I had more info on my Laptop. I ordered a 1LT RS with the hurst short throw under what was basically no information except cost. The next week (my day off) I realized that a 1LT is not the car I want. . .Its a 2LT and thats too expensive for my budget right now. I went to cancel the order and I was told I could do so but the GM is the only person that can cancel an order and he wasnt in. So I returned a week later and I was now told that I cant cancel the order until the car gets here. I already know that its the WRONG car so whats the point?? I was stone walled at that point and I'm thinking about challenging the charge for the deposit to get my 500.00 back instead of waiting till March when I know I wont buy the car anyways. I'd rather wait until I can pay for the car I really want to order. I told the sales person this and they still pushed the fact I cant cancel the order. My paper work does not indicate that my deposit is non refundable. . . .

Anyone have any better ideas??? or since I went about it peacefully should I
SickRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
My guess is that he is saying you can't cancel the order until it arrives so that he can still get the car in his hands. The deal with the pre-orders was that they had to be sold cars. I would guess he will give you the deposit back, but wants to make sure he gets the car so he can have it early.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
SickRS

Thats what I figured...but I need the deposit back. Cash in hand right now is better than tied up in an order I dont care about.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
He's not saying that he won't give you your deposit back, he's saying he can't give it to you until march or whenever he gets the car.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
camaropete
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRS View Post
Thats what I figured...but I need the deposit back. Cash in hand right now is better than tied up in an order I dont care about.
I believe there are some other threads that talk about the refund. What I remember is that most state's attorneys require that any deposit be returned upon cancellation of the order.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
SickRS

I know that, but they seem to think that by March I'll change my mind. If I already know I dont want the car, I dont want the car...plain and simple. What I ordered was not what I thought it was because they didnt have all the information they should have had. Its not my fault, therefore I dont see a reason they need to keep my depoist. Its like giving out a free loan. . .
Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
NUCAR

Drives: 68 big block
Quote:
Guys,

I ordered my Camaro on Oct 31st from Rockenbach Chevy. The sales person did not have a lot of info on the car, infact I had more info on my Laptop. I ordered a 1LT RS with the hurst short throw under what was basically no information except cost. The next week (my day off) I realized that a 1LT is not the car I want. . .Its a 2LT and thats too expensive for my budget right now. I went to cancel the order and I was told I could do so but the GM is the only person that can cancel an order and he wasnt in. So I returned a week later and I was now told that I cant cancel the order until the car gets here. I already know that its the WRONG car so whats the point?? I was stone walled at that point and I'm thinking about challenging the charge for the deposit to get my 500.00 back instead of waiting till March when I know I wont buy the car anyways. I'd rather wait until I can pay for the car I really want to order. I told the sales person this and they still pushed the fact I cant cancel the order. My paper work does not indicate that my deposit is non refundable. . . .

Anyone have any better ideas??? or since I went about it peacefully should I
Total BS! NO orders have been placed. This will not affect their allocation at all...sold orders do not get them any extra cars. Its time for. Tell the GM you want your deposit within two weeks or you will see them in small claims court. Oh, and find another store when you are ready for the 2LT.
NUCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
This guy is just trying to keep the "sold order" in the system....Go to the dealership and DON'T LEAVE till you have your money in hand....demand to see the GM, the Owner, whoever....make a scene if you have to.

Tell them you don't care if they leave you in the system as a "sold order" but you want your money back NOW.

Stand up, grab your pair, and be a man!!

(and let us know how it goes!)

Delivered: 29 June 09 !!!

Current:
'57 BelAir 2Dr Post
'07 Avalanche LTZ (daily driver)
'10 Traverse (wife's demo)
'99 Harley FLHTC
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
MegaZero
VIN# 2G1FC1EV9A9107317

Drives: 2006 Chevy Cobalt
I can't see why the GM can't give you back your deposit. Besides trying to get another car on the lot. I put down my $500 and my dealer said that if I ever had to cancel for any reason or whatever I would get my money back. Even if I had to cancel my order now.

Although I have known my dealer for a number of years through my parents. He doesn't bs any customers we send him or anything. He's a very straight forward person. I'm guessing you just walked into a dealership and just met this guy and made your order?
MegaZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #10
SickRS

I dont have to go anyplace to get my deposit back. I used my Check Card and they processed it as a Visa charge. All I have to do is call the card company and dispute it on the grounds of I want to cancel and they wont let me. I just wanted to make sure that what I'm doing isnt wrong. I've always bought used cars or something off the lot, I've never ordered anything.

Yes I did just walk in and order one...I was actually looking at a Cobalt SS sedan.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
I would just open a dispute with the card company, let them know you cancelled the order and you dont have the car.

I would never order from a huge dealer like Rockenbach, you just get the runaround.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #12
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Tell the GM personally, not through a sales weasel, that you will be contacting your State Attorney General's Office and your cc company if you don't receive a refund check immediately. The law is clear.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #13
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
That dealership is about an hour down the road..... Go get your money.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
SickRS

I would, but working the same hours as the dealership its tough to get in there. Why they have to be holes about it, I dont understand. They thought I went someplace else and got a better deal. I even gave them the chance to keep the order and get me a 2LT for the same price as the 1LT since they didnt have all the info they should have had. I even asked the guy if he had a copy of the order workbook and all he had were the print outs from the Chevy launch web page. I should have walked away at that point.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #15
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
You can tell the general manger at the dealership what you will do if they do not refund your money. I suspect he will refund your deposit but if he does not, you can try to go back to the card company.

You need a list of names, dates and times that you have requested the deposit back. Then when you have exhausted all efforts for them to refund your money, you can dispute the charge in writing to the card company. Time is also important. You can't wait too long.

If you used a check card you maybe unable to get a refund through the card company. A check card is not the same as a credit card and the same rules and protections do not automaticaly apply.

Good luck

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Sickrs,

This is what you do. First dont inconvenience yourself at all. You call the dealership in the morning and get the GM on the phone. You TELL him " I will be coming in to pick up my deposit that I put on the camaro. I have decided not to buy one. I will be there (at whatever time you choose). Thank you and I will see you then." Then just let him talk. You dont need to even respond to what he ask or says. Just give him enough time to have a check cut for you. He will either try to talk you out of it or just say ok. Now you need to show up when you said you would. When you get there walk up to the Floor Manager and just tell him you are there to pick up the check that MR./Mrs GM left for you. ( no chit chat) If he says he doesnt have it, just tell him you will be taking the dealership to small claims court to recover the money "stolen" from you. Now say that LOUDLY and SLOWLY but dont yell it. You want most people in there to hear you but you dont want to sound like a crazy person. Then ask for your refund again and stand there and look him in the left eye. He will, at that point, do what you asked or you will just turn and walk out and say I will see you in court. Then go down to you court and file a claim. It may cost you about 25-50 bucks. But I dont foresee any issues because they dont want an irate customer on their floor.

Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education.
BrianC.
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #17
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Navigator/Corvette/2010 Camaro
My Approach to a low stress resolution

Sick RS

This process generally works very well with me, with little, if any getting in the car and going to scream at anyone.
1) Go to www.bbb.org and look up the report on this dealer… keep a printout, depending on what it says, this may be real easy, or take a few (back and forths) in negotiations
2) Fill out a complaint at the BBB website against this dealer and include some of the details in the forum (3 paragraphs should be enough) Note: make sure you have at least 2 names and 2 dates to show you have made the effort to resolve yourself. There are fields for this information.
3) Hit submit, and print out a copy (perhaps save it in Word or something like that so you have an electronic copy)
4) Fax a copy to the dealer, with the fax cover, attention to the owner of the dealer. Say in the body respectfully, if he would like to resolve prior to being contacted by the BBB, or would he prefer to wait.
I did this most recently with Delta Airlines about a week ago. I got my $50 unrefundable surcharge back as well as a complimentary 5000 miles for my trouble. All this even before the got their copy from the BBB, was done by email, and did not have to talk to anyone. (BTW- I did this at the gate while waiting for my airplane... thank heavan for broadband wireless)
When I get my copy from the BB asking if the matter has been resolved, I reply yes and thank them for their help.

The moral of the story… All businesses take things far more serious if 3rd parties are involved (attorney general, BBB, corporate, a letter from a prepaid legal attorney etc) the BBB is one of the easier ones to engage,…as its all done online.

Now, if they have a terrible BBB file already, it may take a few back and forth’s. With COMCAST, I sent a copy of my local COMCAST report to the county board who manages their franchise and asked them why the county was tolerant of such a record when the neighboring counties (which they all consider inferior)all had reports of acceptable performance by COMCAST. Needless to say I got some free months out of the deal and even had a call from the COMCAST VP who managed the local COMCAST franchise. So, the takeaway here, is if the buisness does not care about their BBB record themselves, there is probibly someone who they do buisness with that does.....find them
COMCAST still sucks, but now I at least know people in the Comcast front office to get problems resolved more quickly

Hope this helps

Note: The Better Business Bureau does not have authority to make a company do anything (unless they are BBB members) however most like to get BBB complaints resolved and behind them. Bad reports are bad PR for companies

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2

Last edited by PatrickfromMD; 12-20-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added clarification
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
SickRS

Ok guys here's where I'm at right now. The dealership is straight up lying and saying now that the deposit is non refundable because it was a "special order". I have called GM customer service several times now and I have gotten a little help with this one. My complaint has been forwarded to a District person. This place should be added to the garbage dealerships. The dealership has NEVER called me back about anything or updated me about anything. They were very helpful at taking my 500.00 though. I'm a supervisor of a million dollar yearly business and I have NEVER in my 6 year history heard of customer service this bad from a sales perspective.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
Ry4nVan

Drives: Currently (Toyota Tacoma)
Quote:
Ok guys here's where I'm at right now. The dealership is straight up lying and saying now that the deposit is non refundable because it was a "special order". I have called GM customer service several times now and I have gotten a little help with this one. My complaint has been forwarded to a District person. This place should be added to the garbage dealerships. The dealership has NEVER called me back about anything or updated me about anything. They were very helpful at taking my 500.00 though. I'm a supervisor of a million dollar yearly business and I have NEVER in my 6 year history heard of customer service this bad from a sales perspective.

I actually think the dealership is not the only problem. I understand GM has other priorities to worry about, but it seems to me that they've really put the Camaro marketing on the back-burner.

I believe that the Camaro can help save GM, like the Mustang helped to save Ford. Yet, they seem to not really 'sell' the Camaro. Mostly enthusiasts are the only ones interested right now.

If it wasn't for this website, honestly- I probably would have never given my down payment. This website has helped to keep a fire lite inside of me to continiously want the Camaro. I hope GM/Chevy really pickup their marketing and make us cosnumer confident in the product that we're investing a lot of money and time into.
Ry4nVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #20
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
I'll help you on this. The order can be cancelled from the system... I'll forward this on for you
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #21
camaropete
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry4nVan View Post
I actually think the dealership is not the only problem. I understand GM has other priorities to worry about, but it seems to me that they've really put the Camaro marketing on the back-burner.

I believe that the Camaro can help save GM, like the Mustang helped to save Ford. Yet, they seem to not really 'sell' the Camaro. Mostly enthusiasts are the only ones interested right now.

If it wasn't for this website, honestly- I probably would have never given my down payment. This website has helped to keep a fire lite inside of me to continiously want the Camaro. I hope GM/Chevy really pickup their marketing and make us cosnumer confident in the product that we're investing a lot of money and time into.
Let's not confuse matters here. This particular incident has nothing to do with GM the corporation. This has to do with a dealer that isn't being honest and forthright.

Now, I can't argue that GM isn't releasing information as fast as many of us would like, but I don't believe that is the cause of this issue.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #22
Ry4nVan

Drives: Currently (Toyota Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post
Let's not confuse matters here. This particular incident has nothing to do with GM the corporation. This has to do with a dealer that isn't being honest and forthright.

Now, I can't argue that GM isn't releasing information as fast as many of us would like, but I don't believe that is the cause of this issue.
I know what you're saying. And you are right about GM not being responsible. My point was that not only are the dealers not doing a good job selling this car to people, but Chevy hasn't produced much either. Most of our information and pictures come from Camaro fans.
Ry4nVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #23
camaropete
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry4nVan View Post
I know what you're saying. And you are right about GM not being responsible. My point was that not only are the dealers not doing a good job selling this car to people, but Chevy hasn't produced much either. Most of our information and pictures come from Camaro fans.
Point well taken.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #24
SickRS

I totally agree with everyone...this is a very popular car yet we have to fight for pictures and details of it. I find it very poor business that GM would let a dealership sell a car when the guy didnt even have the WORKBOOK. If it wasnt for this site I wouldnt have known I was potentially being screwed over. They NEVER gave me the workbench print out, they NEVER gave me an order conf. # until I called for one. I would have never know to ask if it wasnt for everyone on this site. I'm just confused on how GM could let a dealership operate like this...selling cars with no information.

Last edited by SickRS; 12-31-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #25
SickRS

I would just like to say that it seem like this issue has come to a conclusion. I was told by contacted by a Jim Jones from the dealership and that my 500.00 deposit will be credited back to my card. I just have to meet him on monday and he will have the funds for me. I dont know who did what but THANK YOU. GM customer service told me that the dealer ship said the following "The 500.00 deposit was for a vechile I would not get unless I ordered it. Therefor, it could not be refunded." The woman who contacted me is lucky that she got my voice mail. If she would have told me that on the phone I would have started laughing.