Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
leatherneck

Drives: yellow/bl. hood stripes-ss/rs
Want a laugh?? Hekp this dummy!!!!!

Ok. since all you car jocks are just sitting on your duff killing time and typing posts till we all get our great camaros. I thought id give you guys a real laugh at my expemse. Im gonna ask an unbelievably stupid question that will have you guys rolling on the ground for days!!!! Start on the premise i know nothing about cars!!! Ok here goes-i have never ever in my 59 years of life (this is laugh number 1) driven a manual transmission--ok ok stopp laughing!!--My question is. although im getting the automatic v8-im at a loss on how ill drive it!! (laugh number 2)--I know a manual saves wear an tear on your engine . improves hp and mileage. My problem is the 6 speeds. (laugh number 3) ill get tap shift --i dont even know if ill have auto shifting on the council to. But when i tap shift off the sterring wheel--what position do i start in????--noo i know i start in park!!!!! Haha very funny (laugh number 4) i mean do i start in drive 1??? then to tap shift for higher speeds how quickly do i run through the gears?????? where can i down shift ect?????-- Now if you can stop laughing for a minute would one of you please explain this too me.
leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Umm, I would say put it in D, and then never use tapshift ever...

I mean, if you have some desire to shift manually, go to a parking lot and play around with it until you get comfortable with it.
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Hey, don't worry about it. I've never driven a manual either, my dad's Saturn SW2 kicked the bucket before I could learn. Heh, I may end up learning in my friend's '07 Mustang...

Basically, you'll want to upshift when you hear the engine tighten up. Most people use a combination of listening and the tachometer. You don't want your tachometer to hit the redline (unless you're having some fun...), so you should upshift before that. I'm not too sure about downshifting, but obviously you'll want to do it when approaching a stop. I think the tachometer plays some role in that as well.

If you're getting the automatic, you won't have to worry about this too much unless you just want to have some fun with it.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
TheClassicCarKid

Oh, right, the revs,
You'll pretty much know when to upshift, but to give you a rough idea I'd say shift at like 3000 rpm for regular driving and 5500-6500 rpm if you're going for acceleration. I would downshift while you're slowing down and the revs fall below 2000. The computer won't let you do any damage to the engine so don't worry about it.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the laugh, and congratulations on walking into uncharted territory for you with respect to your SS auto purchase. As for tapshift, use the right button for upshift and left button for downshift. You want to upshift before (preferrably well before) the tachometer needle hits redline. For downshifting, I am not sure if the car has a built in computer that automatically handles the downshifts for you and/or will not let you downshift if doing so would result in the rpm's going over redline (anyone care to chime in on this?). But yeah going out in a big empty parking lot and messing around with it will be great practice for tapshift. As for going into tapshift, you want to place the shifter in the "M" position, then use the paddles/buttons.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
leatherneck

want a laugh?? help this dunny!!

i dont think i made myself clear --that an the fct i have no idea what im talking about------I have nooo desire what so ever to drive a manual. I hate clutches and the constant shifting---i ordered a automatic!!!Now doesnt the automatic come with sterring wheel tap shift?????--An if it does if im in drive how long do i need to wait to shift thru each gear???--if im way off base an the automatic doesnt come with steering wheel tap shift but only a council shift --well again how long do i wait before shifting to the next gear and can i downshift from any gear??
Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
i dont think i made myself clear --that an the fct i have no idea what im talking about------I have nooo desire what so ever to drive a manual. I hate clutches and the constant shifting---i ordered a automatic!!!Now doesnt the automatic come with sterring wheel tap shift?????--An if it does if im in drive how long do i need to wait to shift thru each gear???--if im way off base an the automatic doesnt come with steering wheel tap shift but only a council shift --well again how long do i wait before shifting to the next gear and can i downshift from any gear??
Hmm. I think I see what you're trying to ask.

The automatic tranny will work like an everyday automatic if you keep the shifter in D. Once you shift into M, you're in manual mode. As long as it's in D, you won't have to worry about shifting at all.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
TheClassicCarKid

Quote:
Oh, if you don't want to shift just leave it in regular automatic mode and it will behave like an automatic in any other car so you'll be fine

The tapshift isn't always on...you have to engage it. So as long as you don't do that you won't ever have to shift. Just stomp and the gas when you want to have fun and hit the brake when you want to slow down, just like any automatic.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
leatherneck

hey thanks guys!!!

the smartest car people are on this site!! its unbelieve the knowledge you guys have. I understand that the tap shift i could use but dont have too righT?? ill have a council shift but if i do use tap shift--the left button is downshift the right is upshift------also shift around 3000 rpms always shift before redlinning an if im trying to really get some excelleratiom between 5-6000 rpms -----am i gettin it--lolol
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
Basically When you buy the automatic for the Camaro, you get a normal automatic. But there is this thing added in called Tap-Shift, which is basically these two buttons on the steering wheel that when you push them allow you to down shift or up shift... BUT the only time you actually are able to use these is when you are in drive mode "M" or "manual" because the automatic comes with a pattern of P R N D M
P=park
R=reverse
N=Neutral
D=Drive(normal automatic.. push the gas and GOOOOOO)
M=Manual mode(which is when you can use the tap shift buttons to semily control the car)
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
leatherneck

ohh cool the tap shift has to be engaged --otherwise its just like any other automatic only with 6 speeds?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
ucla1ove3

Exactly haha
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
ohh cool the tap shift has to be engaged --otherwise its just like any other automatic only with 6 speeds?
Yup. As long as you keep the shifter in D, you won't have to mess around with the TapShift.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
TheClassicCarKid

Quote:
Exactly
Old 12-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #15
leatherneck

rhanks guys i didnt want to look like a fool taking two hours to get out of the dealerships parking lot
Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 PM   #16
ucla1ove3

haha we got your back, but now that we helped you, you have to check back on this site every couple days until you get addicted alright?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
rhanks guys i didnt want to look like a fool taking two hours to get out of the dealerships parking lot
Haha. I think that once you got in the car, you'd figure it out.

What part of Ohio are you in?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
leatherneck

i knew ---

i knew they had to make it easy for dummys like me--lololol
Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
leatherneck

im io ----

im in ashtabula but ordered my car from ganley chev. in cleveland
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #20
MB2010CC
Back in Black

Drives: 2010 Black 2LT/RS Camaro
I have a few of the same problems/questions. I am well aware of how the Tap shift works and how to engage it and all that. I pretty much know when to up shift but my question is the down shift...When do I do it to keep the car from revving really high (red line)? And what about turning? I think i heard somewhere that you down shift into second and accel like normal through the turn and up shift as necessay. Sorry, i dont mean for you to get but i didnt want to start a whole new thread...
Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
im in ashtabula but ordered my car from ganley chev. in cleveland
Ah...you're up north. I bet you just got a lot more snow than we did down near Cincinnati.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #22
leatherneck

you got that right

asahtabula is 30 miles from erie pa i live a half mile from the lake right smack gab in the snow belt from here to buffa;o
Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Is this a joke? Something doesn't seem real about this.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #24
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Not quite. Most 6-speed autos would not survive with this much power.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #25
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Ok. since all you car jocks are just sitting on your duff killing time and typing posts till we all get our great camaros. I thought id give you guys a real laugh at my expemse. Im gonna ask an unbelievably stupid question that will have you guys rolling on the ground for days!!!! Start on the premise i know nothing about cars!!! Ok here goes-i have never ever in my 59 years of life (this is laugh number 1) driven a manual transmission--ok ok stopp laughing!!--My question is. although im getting the automatic v8-im at a loss on how ill drive it!! (laugh number 2)--I know a manual saves wear an tear on your engine . improves hp and mileage. My problem is the 6 speeds. (laugh number 3) ill get tap shift --i dont even know if ill have auto shifting on the council to. But when i tap shift off the sterring wheel--what position do i start in????--noo i know i start in park!!!!! Haha very funny (laugh number 4) i mean do i start in drive 1??? then to tap shift for higher speeds how quickly do i run through the gears?????? where can i down shift ect?????-- Now if you can stop laughing for a minute would one of you please explain this too me.
This is by far the greatest post on this site.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote