Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
CamK18

Drives: 2010 1LT Vic Red
Potential factory problem or bodyshop error...lots of pics

Ok so the story goes...

I was leaving a parking lot at school one day and mis judged a curb, which scraped my passenger side side skirt about 3 feet up and took some paint off in some spots and just scratched some spots. Needless to say i was pissed at myself.

So I took the car to GM, got a quote to just PAINT the side skirt. Their price? $680 + tax. So i literally laughed and left.

Went to a couple body shops in the area and found a decent one that seemed repuatable (came by reccomendation), so i decided to go with them for $230. This was monday.

So i called today and asked how the job was going. He asks me "Did you try to repair this yourself already".

As soon as he said this, im thinking oh shit...here we go, something broke. So i told him no, asked why, and he told me that there were 3 clips that were broken and it looked like "someone" tried to put them back on with super glue.

As well, the brackets that hold the clips in place (which are part of the skirt itself), were bent and not properly put on at the factory.

So now im pissed. very pissed. So i head down there unannounced with my camera to take pictures of said damage and he did not seem to mind at all to show me the damage.

So what do you guys think, judging by these pics, manufacturer problem or body shop error?

***Notice the blue x's indicating which clips are broken*** Factory put them there?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
sgseward

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
Probably done by the same crew mounting spoilers that are chipping the trunk paint!
sgseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I think the body shop did not know how to remove them....or, the initial scrape damaged them
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
highly doubt, probably 0% probability that happened at the assembly plant.

One guess might be someone lifted it with a hoist incorrectly one day and then tried to cover their tracks by glueing stuff back together. I suspect a dealer or any other place the car has been on a hoist.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
IcallitROOSTER

Drives: Black 2011Auto/v6 2LT/RS blackint
what was the miles on your car before you bought it, looks like some asshole at the dealership tried to take your car for a drive while it just sat on the lot and tried to fix his boo boo! i doubt highly that that came from the factory or production line
IcallitROOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
looks like the current body shop did NOT know how to remove them and just yanked it off (dont ask them, they will deny it). at the way they are broken, you have have definitely noticed they were not fitting well if it came that way from the factory!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
grizzly44

Drives: Victory Red 2SS LS3
Well, being as I work at a body shop I can tell you the mounting tabs are obviously cracked and broken, but the telling detail is the "old" look of the clear silicone used to hold the clips to the tabs. Either the dealer had a little mishap before you took delivery (most likely) or GM repaired it at the factory (doubtful). Needs a new molding (and clips) if you want to make it right, I wouldn't repair it. The tolerances are too tight and unforgiving on the new Camaros.
grizzly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
just post a Wanted ad in this forum for a rocker panel. Likely, someone has a pair laying around after they got the GFX kit.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
CamK18

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly44 View Post
Well, being as I work at a body shop I can tell you the mounting tabs are obviously cracked and broken, but the telling detail is the "old" look of the clear silicone used to hold the clips to the tabs. Either the dealer had a little mishap before you took delivery (most likely) or GM repaired it at the factory (doubtful). Needs a new molding (and clips) if you want to make it right, I wouldn't repair it. The tolerances are too tight and unforgiving on the new Camaros.
Well I took the pics that I posted here to the dealer and they want to take a look at it on wednesday so I will see what they say. This car was a factory order if any of you were wondering...im starting to think this may have been a delivery mishap. still, very frusterating
Old 09-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
diamondmike

Drives: 2SS/RS
looks like the car has been repaired incorrectly.

7.83 @ 172 and 1.15 60ft 5th gen
4.93@143
diamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
CamK18

Just an update for you guys,

Im pleased to say GM will be giving me a new side skirt. I am very happy that they are willing to make good for a mistake made