Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
sting39
 
Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: plainfield,il
Posts: 21
Smile about getting 20" all season tires

This information is for all the people that might be interested in being able to get 20" all season tires. I just talked to GM Chevrolet division. I asked them about being able to have a choice of 20" summer or all season tires with the RS package, they told me things could change by the start of production.

I think if enough of us inqury about this, they might consider this.

Their phone number is 1-800-950-2438
The E-mail is Chevrolet.com, go to help center, then go to contact, then to E-Mail division.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Geno
 
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 GT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
This information is for all the people that might be interested in being able to get 20" all season tires. I just talked to GM Chevrolet division. I asked them about being able to have a choice of 20" summer or all season tires with the RS package, they told me things could change by the start of production.

I think if enough of us inqury about this, they might consider this.

Their phone number is 1-800-950-2438
The E-mail is Chevrolet.com, go to help center, then go to contact, then to E-Mail division.
I really doubt it. I ak by phone and email. My email answer was, in so many words, "This is the way we are building them, take it or leave it". Sooooo, I told my dealer to take the RS package off.
Anybody still wonder why GM is in trouble???? Even of you live in Alaska you got to have summer tires.
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
zforce
 
zforce's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL.
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno View Post
I really doubt it. I ak by phone and email. My email answer was, in so many words, "This is the way we are building them, take it or leave it". Sooooo, I told my dealer to take the RS package off.
Anybody still wonder why GM is in trouble???? Even of you live in Alaska you got to have summer tires.
Good point. GM should start listening to the customers and stop thinking that everyone has accept what GM offers. GM or any other company should ever think they are untouchable and this crises should prove it to them.
i am sure they can make a deal with tire makers so that they can get them exchanged for a set that would make sense to the customer. It sounds silly for some living in Alaska to purchase a car that has equipment for a hotter climate. What next, a car with only air conditioning, no mattter where you live? Even worse a car with only a heater! :(
__________________
I've only been brave enough to hit 115 mph in my Camaro.
zforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
This information is for all the people that might be interested in being able to get 20" all season tires. I just talked to GM Chevrolet division. I asked them about being able to have a choice of 20" summer or all season tires with the RS package, they told me things could change by the start of production.

I think if enough of us inqury about this, they might consider this.

Their phone number is 1-800-950-2438
The E-mail is Chevrolet.com, go to help center, then go to contact, then to E-Mail division.
I doubt they will. GM already has a contract with Pirelli for so many summer tires and they most likely have already made and shipped them. Do you really think Pirelli will allow GM to go "Hey we no longer want all these thousands of summer tires you specially made for us. Can you make us some all season tires instead and you can have all the summer tires back. Unfortunately this means that you will be stuck with them for who knows how long causing you to lose ten's of thousands of dollars." Yea I don't thank so. This isn't like some of the other things GM has changed based on our feedback where GM already had the materials available for other trims. This scenario is imo out of GM's control atm. If you want all season tires for your 20's, you're better off waiting till next MY.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
I doubt they will. GM already has a contract with Pirelli for so many summer tires and they most likely have already made and shipped them. Do you really think Pirelli will allow GM to go "Hey we no longer want all these thousands of summer tires you specially made for us. Can you make us some all season tires instead and you can have all the summer tires back. Unfortunately this means that you will be stuck with them for who knows how long causing you to lose ten's of thousands of dollars." Yea I don't thank so. This isn't like some of the other things GM has changed based on our feedback where GM already had the materials available for other trims. This scenario is imo out of GM's control atm. If you want all season tires for your 20's, you're better off waiting till next MY.
GM and Pirelli like many other companies uses an on time logistics system, so those tires are not sitting in a GM warehouse waiting to be mounted. They are being produced and shipped in on a daily basis. Being that this tire is not specific to the Camaro, while doubtful, it would definitely be possible for Pirelli to change the tires they ship in if need be. On any given day GM (or whoever is doing the wheel assembly for GM) probably has 2 days worth of backlog of tires at most.

PS I absolutely agree, I NEED all seasons....
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
sting39
 
Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: plainfield,il
Posts: 21
about 20" all season tires

I see where some of you agree with me. So lets all let GM know, some of us would like 20" all season tires.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,222
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
In some environments, all-season tires would be adequate, but they don't work in areas of extensive dryness, wetness, or snow. Just because they can be used in every season doesn't mean that they will grip they way that they should to be safe.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
Barry626
 
Drives: 2012 Audi A6
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 103
Sting39

Forward this thread to GM & who knows might help?

I ordered a 2LT & 2SS both with RS package.
I would also prefer 20 inch "All Season" tires!
Barry626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
sting39
 
Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: plainfield,il
Posts: 21
Smile about 20" all season tires

I did some checking on different cars , I found out that Chrysler standard tires on the SRT8, is a P245/45ZR20 all season tire; the dodge challenger offers as a option P245/45ZR20 all season tire, but I don't know the brand of the tire. As you can see their are 20" all season tires available.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,616
I have a 2LT RS on order and all season will not help me. I will need 4 winter rated tires after Oct 1 to April 15th. It just became law (in Dec ) in Quebec thay all 4 wheels must be WINTER rated. TOO many dead bodies from preventable accidents with "all season" tires. If you can't afford the tires you can't afford the car.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #11
sting39
 
Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: plainfield,il
Posts: 21
Smile about all season tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
I did some checking on different cars , I found out that Chrysler standard tires on the SRT8, is a P245/45ZR20 all season tire; the dodge challenger offers as a option P245/45ZR20 all season tire, but I don't know the brand of the tire. As you can see their are 20" all season tires available.
Firelli tires do make a 20" all season tire, which is called Scorpion Zero, asimmetrico, but they list it as a suv/light truck tire, but they offer in in P245/45ZR20 and P275/40ZR20.
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
SirBrad
The Captain
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
Firelli tires do make a 20" all season tire, which is called Scorpion Zero, asimmetrico, but they list it as a suv/light truck tire, but they offer in in P245/45ZR20 and P275/40ZR20.
$295 each...I'm thinking about getting these.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
CamaroUser
 
CamaroUser's Avatar
 
Drives: TrailBlazerSS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 190
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting39 View Post
Firelli tires do make a 20" all season tire, which is called Scorpion Zero, asimmetrico, but they list it as a suv/light truck tire, but they offer in in P245/45ZR20 and P275/40ZR20.
The problem is that even the perilli all season tires are not the best in the winter. Plus if you look at the performance numbers for summer driving they are really sub-par. Check our this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30194

__________________
CamaroUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
SirBrad
The Captain
 
SirBrad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroUser View Post
The problem is that even the perilli all season tires are not the best in the winter. Plus if you look at the performance numbers for summer driving they are really sub-par. Check our this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30194

Yeah I decided against this and picked up a set of the LT 18" aluminum wheels on Ebay. I think that's my best bet and I got the set for under $1000 so that's pretty fair in my eyes.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
stlrammer

 
stlrammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO USA
Posts: 1,945
I always wonder what to do this time of the season. I'm running General Gmax AS-03s on all four corners at the moment.
__________________
stlrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Spanky1
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS IOM Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Little Neck, NY
Posts: 46
All season tires are a compromise between winter weather and performance (handling and braking). I like having max performance summer tires and changing over to dedicated snow tires in the winter. My Pzeros will last a little longer by being stored for about 4 months and I feel a lot better about driving in winter conditions.
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 10:51 AM
are there any 20" all-weather tires out there? card21doc Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 11 01-15-2010 08:11 PM
We want all season tires for the SS Rogue Leader Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 72 01-07-2009 07:02 PM
Will the SS have 20" run flat tires? Can we go bigger in size? Hoss Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 18 11-28-2008 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.