Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 05-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Harwood 3" hood on. Debating stripes

Finally got my 3" Harwood hood bolted on last night for a trial fit before painting.

I had originally thought about painting it black W/ a couple old school SS stripes in white, then getting some vinyl from Bigworm for the rear deck & spoiler.

Now that it is on, I'm having thoughts of just all black w/o stripes.

But another idea is besides black and white paint, I also have some Summit Sour Apple green left over from my golf cart project. Only problem with that would be matching rear deck vinyl for it. But even if the green vinyl is a close match, the back deck and the front hood are far enough away you may not notice.

One good thing about painting it all black or b & w, the hood would be an easier sell if I were to de-mod it this summer when I get the urge to trade it in on a '16-17 SS.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Here's a pic for the example of the Summit Sour Apple.
(Just an F.Y.I., I've been impressed with the results I've had using the Summit paints)

cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
~ChipsAhoy~
Shenanigans

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Unfortunately, trying to find an apple green metallic vinyl in gloss is hard to come by. Most of your reputable brands (3M, Avery, Oracal, Arlon, etc.) do not have a gloss. I believe either 3M or Avery carries a matte apple metallic, but don't hold me to that.

One option, however, is to purchase an apple green vinyl (non-metallic) along with a metallic laminate. Then, have your local print/sign/vinyl shop laminate the vinyl with the metallic laminate. This will achieve your gloss metallic look. The only downfall, however, is that metallic laminate is not cheap. I believe it is around $50 a yard (54" width). That is on top of the cost of the vinyl, and does not include the cost your local shop may charge for their services.

Just something to think about.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #3
cohocarl

Drives: 2015 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ChipsAhoy~ View Post
...Just something to think about.

Thank you for the input.

I think I am going to go with my original plan of painting white stripes.
Had the wife help me put the original hood back on last night so I can get to prepping this one.

Hope to have some pics soon.
cohocarl is offline   Reply With Quote