Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: un Camaro con motor alterado.
Car overheating

:(

Just bought my camaro..well used..but the camaro member owner stated there was no issues (which is true, had none)

But since its been around 104 degrees here I kicked up my A/C but after driving on and off for the past 2 hours the cruise control light turned on for i dont know what reason. and i got a message saying coolant was too hot..i opened up the hood and no steam was coming out..my fan remained on for a bit after i had turned off the car..I have a kb supercharger so is it safe to say that the hot temp and kicking up the a/c to the highest speed was the main culprit?

oh yeah and for some weird reason the cruise control light turned on!!??

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Sounds like the 104 degrees plus supercharger overheated that V8. May be a feature of the cruise control to set a maximum speed as to not make the engine work any harder than it needs to thus no additional heat being created than what needs to.

Hopefully someone here can confirm, but check with GM and your dealership. Warranty still intact?

Also check coolant levels, perhaps change your coolant mix ratio from 50/50 to like 25/75 or even 20/80 of anti-freeze & water.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
lbheat

After "letting it cool down" for 2 hours. I drove about 45 miles (without a/c and left the air control to blow hot air) and check out the pic of the message on my info display. Keep in mind the car did not overheat while i was driving, it went all the way to hot 1-3min after i parked. Then this is when the message was displayed. But after going all the way to Red hot the needle went back to normal with in 1min after displaying that message while having the temp gauge on red hot!? What the heck is the camaro tripping on!?

I'll see tomm if this is just an isolated case
Attached Images

Kenne Bell
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
lbheat

Oh yeah and the rpm gauge is going up and down slightly. Basically just shaking in place but still managing to move millimeters up and down.

Kenne Bell
Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2LT/RS
I think they had a Tsb or something about the rpm gauge in former threads. Also did you accidently hit the cruise control with your finger or hand? Was the indication on the dash white or green?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
Sounds like the 104 degrees plus supercharger overheated that V8. May be a feature of the cruise control to set a maximum speed as to not make the engine work any harder than it needs to thus no additional heat being created than what needs to.

Hopefully someone here can confirm, but check with GM and your dealership. Warranty still intact?

Also check coolant levels, perhaps change your coolant mix ratio from 50/50 to like 25/75 or even 20/80 of anti-freeze & water.
I'm sorry but Kenne Bell does not recommend this. They recommend you use the exact coolant mixture that is recommended by GM. I'm not being argumentative, just pointing out the info I either read on their website or owner's manual.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldman View Post
I think they had a Tsb or something about the rpm gauge in former threads. Also did you accidently hit the cruise control with your finger or hand? Was the indication on the dash white or green?
I used to hit that button on accident sometimes and I would wonder why it would go on. But, it was just my own mistake.

I would also do that with the T/C S/T button. I had my garage door controlor in that little open area and when I would reach my hand by the T/C button, sometimes I would touch it without even feeling it and I would wonder why the light was going on. I actually may have gone to the dealer about this and I'm not sure if I made a post about it either, but it was my own error.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Sc0rPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
I'm sorry but Kenne Bell does not recommend this. They recommend you use the exact coolant mixture that is recommended by GM. I'm not being argumentative, just pointing out the info I either read on their website or owner's manual.
Good to note, guess that's out the window then....
Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Here is a little tip, anytime your engine is overheating, unless your coolant is very low or gone, never shut it off. Let it idle, turn off the a/c and crank the heat inside your car to full hot and highest fan speed. The heater core will act like an auxiliary radiator to help bring down the coolant temps faster.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #10
Sc0rPs

Mentioned in the other thread, that since you just bought it and provided it already had the supercharger to take it back for them to fix it. Despite warranty voided there should be local laws for the first 30 days or something of any issues.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #11
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Here is a little tip, anytime your engine is overheating, unless your coolant is very low or gone, never shut it off. Let it idle, turn off the a/c and crank the heat inside your car to full hot and highest fan speed. The heater core will act like an auxiliary radiator to help bring down the coolant temps faster.
I'm no engineer and your point is valid for older cars but my SS and my prior car a solstice GXP did the exact opposite of what you are describing.

Coolant temps on these newer engines seem to go up when idling with the heat on full. I believe it has to do with computers etc, keeping engine temps up to help the heater core achieve the temperature faster.

I've seen this numerous times watching the coolant go from 190 to 210+ on both vehicles using the method you suggested vs leaving everything off and slightly rev'ing the car around 1000-1500 rpms and watching the temps go down to below 200

Idk, just my observation
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote