Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Speed limiter issues?

The other day I had the opportunity to 'stand on it' to see how fast I could go. Lately I've suspected something is wrong as the car as it seems to have plenty of torque and power on the bottom end, but if I nail it at highway speed it's always seemed kind of sluggish. I got to 114 fairly quickly, but that was it. I had it matted and it would not go any faster. As I started up a small grade it actually started slowing down, so I just let off of it. There was no missing or anything like that. It just wouldn't go. Anyone else experience something like this? I've done the fuse pull before and didn't see any difference. I also exclusively use 93 octane. Could it be a CAI issue or an issue with the factory PCM settings? It's an SS and the speed limiter should be set to 155.
Thanks

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
Doesn't sound like the speed or rev limiter. When those kick in, it shuts fuel off, just like turning the motor off, then it kicks back on.

What gear were you in? At highway speed, 75ish, if I drop my M6 to 3rd and floor it, it takes off like a scolded cat right to redline, hit 4th same thing but now at ludicrus speed. Something is not right if yours won't do that.

You should be able to redline 3rd and 4th, then 5th is speed limited. Closed course... professional driver.... disclaimer.

If it's losing power at high speed, high load, it should be looked at by a tech using a scanner and fuel pressure guage. Sounds like it is losing fuel pressure. Bad gas can also do that. FP problems or bad gas can be two driveability issues that set no code and don't turn on the check engine light, just loss of performance.

You could swap the OE intake back on just to make sure it's not the CAI. Also take a peak at the MAF hot wires and make sure they are not coated with fuzz or oil from the filter. I've seen a mucked up MAF cause all kinds of driveability problems.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
mth35115

Drives: 2010 Camaro rs/ss inferno orange
I followed a v6 around Talledega Saturday and he hit 118 mph with no problem, except I could only get to about 130 mph without running over him. My credit union had a day that you could drive around the tract following a pace car, but by hanging back a little you could make a run till you caught up with the rest of the cars.

HOT ROD SS
MTH35115
mth35115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
What gear were you in? At highway speed, 75ish, if I drop my M6 to 3rd and floor it, it takes off like a scolded cat right to redline, hit 4th same thing but now at ludicrus speed. Something is not right if yours won't do that.

You should be able to redline 3rd and 4th, then 5th is speed limited. Closed course... professional driver.... disclaimer.
Went into 6th at about 100. Was nowhere near the redline. Should I try shifting at a higher RPM?
Thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
seddon

Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
6th is for cruising bro you will get a little pull but not much. If you plan on standing on the pedal I would usually drop to third (60 mph) then run through the gears reving up to about 6k and shifting I've gotten up to 145 ( closed road) without any problem. I think you should be at 100 in 3rd going into 4th not sure too busy watching the road, but at least in 4th doing 100mph.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Thanks, it's probably just me being a pu$$y then. I should realize by now these cars can take a hell of a lot more than you think. I'll try operating in a higher RPM band.
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
6th gear won't pull, it's way to tall.

If you really want to feel it pull, at 70 - 75 ish, put it in 3rd, give it a good rev, then floor it at the same time your letting the clutch out. Then hang on. 100 ish you'll grab 4th....

5th and 6th are the overdrives for mpgs. 3rd and 4th are your high speed gears.

With long tube headers, the 3rd gear highway downshift is rediculously fun. Stock it should also pull pretty hard.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Thanks a lot guys. This helps clear things up. Sounds like it's just my technique, or lack thereof. That's something that can be easily fixed, much more so than the car. This is one of the many things I like about this forum.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
vincewalthers

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Aqua Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
6th gear won't pull, it's way to tall.

If you really want to feel it pull, at 70 - 75 ish, put it in 3rd, give it a good rev, then floor it at the same time your letting the clutch out. Then hang on. 100 ish you'll grab 4th....

5th and 6th are the overdrives for mpgs. 3rd and 4th are your high speed gears.

With long tube headers, the 3rd gear highway downshift is rediculously fun. Stock it should also pull pretty hard.
vincewalthers is offline   Reply With Quote