Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 09-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
What Mods will pass a California SMOG check?

Can anyone with some expertise tell me what SS bolt on mods will pass a California SMOG check? I think it's 6 years now before a smog is necessary but I would like to minimize the problem when the time comes.

My only mod so far is a Roto-Fab cai, which lacks a CARB (CA Air resource board) sticker. I'm thinking the stock airbox will need to go back in.

How are all these cars rolling around with superchargers going to pass when the time comes? Aren't SCs and intakes going get a FAIL?

What about LT headers? Although they are exhaust and not "emissions" components, do they need a CARB sticker because they come before the cats?

ugh
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Ronin_2SS
Loving My LS3

Drives: 2010 Summit white 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Ronin_2SS
anything that does not have a CARB stamp on it will not pass visual smog check. That includes LT's, Intakes, SC's ect ect... anything after the CATS is usually ok..ie..exhaust systems. LT's usually dont pass due to the fact you have to remove the factory cats to install them. And even if you get catted LT's they wont pass since they are not the factory cats.....stupid? Yes! Which is why shorties are usually better for us calfornians. There are ways around it but a general rule in california is that if it didnt come that way from the factory it wont pass. Even if your camaro is clean out the tail pipe the visual is where most people fail. Most people here in Cali do simple bolt ons so they can put all the stock stuff back on come smog time. In a Supercharger case, you can either go SLP which are legal factory ordered camaros, or Eldlebrock Carb legal E-force, and even then you may get a little run around with those setups. Guys I know running SC's either have the $$$ to put it all back to stock for smog then put it all back on after, or they know someone who will pass them, or they simply dont care about smog untill that time comes. If your worried about smog simple bolt ons would the easy way to for you. just be prepared to put it all back to stock when smog time comes around. California is tuners nightmare!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Maggie's are CARB aproved. I wouldn't be suprised to see Whipple with a CARB # too. I think there is a way for the KB to keep the factory airbox which would allow that more of a chance to get a CARB #.

It takes 2 hours to swap out LT's with the factory cat's, headers and an aftermarket CAI. There are those that will chance running around like that and swap it back if they get caught and sent to a ref.

There is a sticky in the CA section that covers all the details of what you can and can't do.