Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #251
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Bye-bye SS? Lol.
possibly.....
Old 09-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #252
mannino88
Mannino

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS fully loaded.
i cannot wait to get mine
mannino88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #253
CrimsonHowitzer

Drives: 2-70 Camaros,40 chev 2dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Anyone compare the expectations of this new 'Z/28' versus an SLP ZL575?

IF Chevrolet can bring in comparable horsepower and overall performance for less money than a ZL - WITH the same quality including painted stripes and suspension work - that would be awesome.

Here's hoping...

That's what I'm waiting for... Money in hand waiting for the official specs on the Z/28. That day will result in the purchase of either the SLP ZL585 or a Z/28. That's why I'm so anxious for the official numbers. The Z/28 needs to be slightly lighter, better brakes, better handling and near 600hp. Oh and if I get the Z/28 the front fascia and hood will be for sale immediately, ugly!
CrimsonHowitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #254
BLUESMOKE69

Drives: Saturn Astra 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
I still hope this isn't the Z28. I hope that GM names this the ZL1 and has the Z28 take on the Boss 302

I'm with you!!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #255
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
nice! I like.

stand-al0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #256
jdsmith807

Drives: 2010 camaross
Originally Posted by Blizzard
I still hope this isn't the Z28. I hope that GM names this the ZL1 and has the Z28 take on the Boss 302

I'm with you!!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #257
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Lighter vehicles are not necessarily better. I posted videos and pictures of the 5th Gen along with the Mustang GT crash test videos. Tale a look at how the two compare and then decide how much lighter you want your next Camaro to be.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103552

I look forward to your responses.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #258
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith807 View Post
Originally Posted by Blizzard

I'm with you!!
I don't disagree with this, but, I seriously don't see that happening. Perhaps if CAMARO was as re-established and as strong as the "other car" , we could see more models. I don't see this happening until the next generation as long as sales are strong. I COULD see some Z28 suspension bits trickling to SS with a bump in power, but it's going to be hard to manage that mass. Who knows though - some of these tuner suspension companies are doing outstanding things with CAMARO, so
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #259
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Lighter vehicles are not necessarily better. I posted videos and pictures of the 5th Gen along with the Mustang GT crash test videos. Tale a look at how the two compare and then decide how much lighter you want your next Camaro to be.

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the frontal was stiffer on CAMARO. I was torn on the side impact, but I maintain my position on my post earlier
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #260
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I don't disagree with this, but, I seriously don't see that happening. Perhaps if CAMARO was as re-established and as strong as the "other car" , we could see more models. I don't see this happening until the next generation as long as sales are strong. I COULD see some Z28 suspension bits trickling to SS with a bump in power, but it's going to be hard to manage that mass. Who knows though - some of these tuner suspension companies are doing outstanding things with CAMARO, so
Some of the mass is exactly why the 5th Gen handles so well. The monocoque is one of the strongest made by any company. With a robust chassis the suspension parts work better because there is so little flex. While the live axle on the Mustang does reduce weight, so does the shorter front sub-frame. The Camaro has a six bolt sub-frame that continues past the radiator. The Mustang has a four bolt sub-frame than ends just past the front 'axles'. You can see the difference in the front crash test in the two cars. I have not stripped and weighed the two sub-frames, but I'll guess there is 25 to 30 pounds difference with the Mustang being lighter.

In my perfect world, the 6th Gen is reduced in size no more than 10%, but more components are made of special light weight steel or aluminum to shed some weight. The issue with that strategy is the special materials will increase the cost.

As far as the next edition of the 5th Gen in higher performance mode my guess is the weight will increase. It starts with bigger brake calipers and continues on. More engine HP means more RWHP. Do they add HD style half-shafts? If they due they just added weight. If they do a titanium exhaust to reduce weight they just added cost.

I have no idea what GM will do, but my GUESS is we are looking at a Z28 that will sticker about 50K and be close in weight to the current car. The performance will be on par with anything Ford has to offer -- until Ford responds to the new Camaro...
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #261
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Some of the mass is exactly why the 5th Gen handles so well. The monocoque is one of the strongest made by any company. With a robust chassis the suspension parts work better because there is so little flex. While the live axle on the Mustang does reduce weight, so does the shorter front sub-frame. The Camaro has a six bolt sub-frame that continues past the radiator. The Mustang has a four bolt sub-frame than ends just past the front 'axles'. You can see the difference in the front crash test in the two cars. I have not stripped and weighed the two sub-frames, but I'll guess there is 25 to 30 pounds difference with the Mustang being lighter.

In my perfect world, the 6th Gen is reduced in size no more than 10%, but more components are made of special light weight steel or aluminum to shed some weight. The issue with that strategy is the special materials will increase the cost.

As far as the next edition of the 5th Gen in higher performance mode my guess is the weight will increase. It starts with bigger brake calipers and continues on. More engine HP means more RWHP. Do they add HD style half-shafts? If they due they just added weight. If they do a titanium exhaust to reduce weight they just added cost.

I have no idea what GM will do, but my GUESS is we are looking at a Z28 that will sticker about 50K and be close in weight to the current car. The performance will be on par with anything Ford has to offer -- until Ford responds to the new Camaro...
BINGO!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #262
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Quote:

My guess, uniformed as it may be, is that the Z/28 will weigh in at 3900-4000 lbs, and perform slightly better than the CTS-V.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #263
GotMeSOM

Drives: Blown 02 SOM SS (630 hp old ride)
slightly better? srsly??
GotMeSOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #264
91Z28350

Yeah seriously, the CTS-V does 11.9-12.1 in the quarter. The Z06 does 11.6-11.8 (average I have seen higher and slightly lower times in mags, my only frame of reference since I have driven, but never raced a Z06) . Are you thinking it will do significantly better than the CTS-V? CTS-V did, if I remember correctly, 7:59 at the 'ring, A pretty respectable time. Z28 should be able to beat that (provided it weighs less/has a tighter suspension tune), by how much I have no clue.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #265
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Yeah seriously, the CTS-V does 11.9-12.1 in the quarter. The Z06 does 11.6-11.8 (average I have seen higher and slightly lower times in mags, my only frame of reference since I have driven, but never raced a Z06) . Are you thinking it will do significantly better than the CTS-V? CTS-V did, if I remember correctly, 7:59 at the 'ring, A pretty respectable time. Z28 should be able to beat that (provided it weighs less/has a tighter suspension tune), by how much I have no clue.
I think if it pulls acceleration times similar to CTS-V, that will be really good. I'm not sure what 'Ring times the GT500 runs (if it's even been there), but so long as they're similar, I'd be happy with that too. It's easy to say I want it significantly better in all aspects, but that costs a lot more money and I just don't know if the performance would justify the costs.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #266
91Z28350

I don't disagree. I think (hope)it will be a fantastic performer, on par with the CTS-V/GT500, hopefully even better.

Maybe I misunderstood GotMeSOM, but it seemed as though he thinks it will significantly out-perform the CTS-V. While that would be nice, I don't think it will. Again speculation on my part.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #267
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
I don't disagree. I think (hope)it will be a fantastic performer, on par with the CTS-V/GT500, hopefully even better.

Maybe I misunderstood GotMeSOM, but it seemed as though he thinks it will significantly out-perform the CTS-V. While that would be nice, I don't think it will. Again speculation on my part.
We're on the same page
Old 09-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #268
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
The 5th gen is already constructed of high and ultra high strength steels. The body panels are mild stength but most of the structure is pretty stiff.

+
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #269
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
The 5th gen is already constructed of high and ultra high strength steels. The body panels are mild stength but most of the structure is pretty stiff.

+
Control arms, sub-frames, driveline parts...
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #270
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2013 427 Convertible CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Can you tell by looking at the picture of the "LSA" engine pictured in the first post how much boost they are running with the pulley that they are using? Does it look to be the same size as the one that comes stock in the CTS-V?
Would be roughly impossible to tell a diameter of the supercharger pulley by a picture. It could be exactly the same motor, but GM can so easily limit its power by adding a more restrictive exhaust to it or just by adding stuff in the calibration.

Headers on the LSA at least on the CTS-V is worthless unless you got over 600rwhp. Only seeing roughly 5rwhp gains for the most part. I gain around 25rwhp just by changing the exhaust from the front cats back(still using the stock fronts) with 3 inch piping and magnaflow mufflers
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #271
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:

I guess my SRT8 sedan is far superior to both in that case....
Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #272
2011RS/SS

Drives: 2013 427 Convertible CE
Even though I would love to see it, but you guys are dreaming of it coming with the LS9. The TVS2300 is too much blower for the internals that come with say the LSA. There is a reason why GM only offered a warranty for a ls9 blower on your LS3 if you went with the ls9 forged internals.

It can drag the front bumper off the GT500 with no problem with the LSA, especially with a simple pulley/exhaust change
2011RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #273
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RS/SS View Post
Would be roughly impossible to tell a diameter of the supercharger pulley by a picture. It could be exactly the same motor, but GM can so easily limit its power by adding a more restrictive exhaust to it or just by adding stuff in the calibration.

Headers on the LSA at least on the CTS-V is worthless unless you got over 600rwhp. Only seeing roughly 5rwhp gains for the most part. I gain around 25rwhp just by changing the exhaust from the front cats back(still using the stock fronts) with 3 inch piping and magnaflow mufflers
It looks like an 8 or 9-rib like the 1900 on LSA has :( Wow - I'm crying about ~500 horsepower straight from the factory in CAMARO... What a spoiled baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
There's no arguing that

Quote:
Even though I would love to see it, but you guys are dreaming of it coming with the LS9. The TVS2300 is too much blower for the internals that come with say the LSA. There is a reason why GM only offered a warranty for a ls9 blower on your LS3 if you went with the ls9 forged internals.

It can drag the front bumper off the GT500 with no problem with the LSA, especially with a simple pulley/exhaust change
It's a nice dream, but I don't think it'd be asking too much of LSA's shortblock to be huffing a 2300. Nothing says they have to increase the boost above LS9's 10.5 or whatever it is.

I think most people are more concerned about comparing Z28 to the GT500 when the simple mods' start coming and how it will compare to the billet shortblock of that 5.4. Personally - get me 550-600 RWHP and I'd be more than happy
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #274
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
You made me look it up. I am surprised at the result of the side impact.

Regardless of the videos, you have a good looking driveway.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #275
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: 2014 C7 Stingray
Quote:

And what if the GT500 owner does the same thing - a simple pulley and exhaust change?

Plus, the GT500 owner can go to his friendly Ford dealer, put some money down and drive his GT500 out the door again with around 650 HP that is still warranted!

Expensive? Yep. But how fast do ya wanna go?

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the GT500, especially the '11. It's already at 550 HP and handles very, very well.

B-O-N-E S-T-O-C-K.

Sure, it's $55k so I'm hoping the Z at least equals it in power and comes in for less money. But I've driven the Z06 and the GT500 - I can tell you from behind the wheel experience: don't overlook OR underestimate the Shelby...
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 camaro z28, 2012 camaro z-28, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 z-28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro z-28, 2013 camaro z28, 2013 z28, 2014 camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, chevrolet, ls9, lsa, new camaro z-28, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new z-28, new z28, new z28 forum, z/28, z28, z28 forum, z28 spy photos, z28 spy shots, z28 spyshots