Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #276
superstockcam

Drives: a
I like the idea but that type of hood inlet is a dust nightmare unless its dedicated to the intake. if they bring back ABM I will be very disappointed.... "greedy 3610 member"
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #277
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
And what if the GT500 owner does the same thing - a simple pulley and exhaust change?

Plus, the GT500 owner can go to his friendly Ford dealer, put some money down and drive his GT500 out the door again with around 650 HP that is still warranted!

Expensive? Yep. But how fast do ya wanna go?

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the GT500, especially the '11. It's already at 550 HP and handles very, very well.

B-O-N-E S-T-O-C-K.

Sure, it's $55k so I'm hoping the Z at least equals it in power and comes in for less money. But I've driven the Z06 and the GT500 - I can tell you from behind the wheel experience: don't overlook OR underestimate the Shelby...
Handling is something I know a bit about.

The 2011 Mustang did add a front chassis brace and a slightly larger diameter rear bar with slightly different coils and damping to make some improvement in the handling. You can see the '11 OE Mustang clocked off a decent lap time with a highly skilled drive behind the wheel. You also read about snap oversteer in the Mustang. I personally don't share that view. The Saleen Mustang doesn't communicate to the driver in a normal voice. The Mustang whispers in your ear and if you don't listen carefully kicks you in the head.

The Camaro communicates better to the driver. It is easier to drive fast. In this Shootout the Camaro was faster, BUT the Mustang out accelerated the Camaro and Out braked the Camaro. The Camaro pulled 1.4 Gs in the corners compared to the Saleen Mustang's 1.23 Gs.

The inherent advantage to the Mustang is it is lighter.

The inherent advantage to the Camaro is the ZETA II platform.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #278
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0
I like it. I think the vented hood looks better than the hood with the scoop. I wish they would have put the window in the hood like they did on the ZR-1, but I'm sure we'll see an aftermarket of that.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #279
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
And what if the GT500 owner does the same thing - a simple pulley and exhaust change?

Plus, the GT500 owner can go to his friendly Ford dealer, put some money down and drive his GT500 out the door again with around 650 HP that is still warranted!

Expensive? Yep. But how fast do ya wanna go?

Whatever you do, don't underestimate the GT500, especially the '11. It's already at 550 HP and handles very, very well.

B-O-N-E S-T-O-C-K.

Sure, it's $55k so I'm hoping the Z at least equals it in power and comes in for less money. But I've driven the Z06 and the GT500 - I can tell you from behind the wheel experience: don't overlook OR underestimate the Shelby...
I love this. . .you act like you know exactly what gm is going to offer. . .

yes the GT500 is a great car. but we don't know what all GM has planned for. we don't know what GMPP will have for the z28. and we don't even know what the stats are on this Z28. so what if the engine cover says LSA. It's not official until there's a press release. Who's to say the Z28 will ONLY have 556 hp. who's to say it won't out handle a GT500? we don't know. this is all speculation. . .

55k for a gt500? is that out the door or is that with the SVT pack? because last I checked the MSRP was like 48950ish plus destination charge.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #280
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
The local Ford dealer had a 2011 GT500 with the SVT pack for 55,450 out the door with TTL. They had it about two weeks and sure enough, it was out the door and I've seen it rolling around town.

Amazing car. My salesman buddy took me for a drive in it the morning it came in, and let me tell you..it was a shock. It was like the bottled God's fury, put it into a car and said "go at it". After we went for the drive they put it on the local performance shops dyno and it produced 489 RWHP, scary.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #281
JoeFire

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Transformers Edition
Awesome!! Looks great. I'm wondering however, why you would have a tow hitch on it even in testing? Trying to move mountains I guess.

2010 2SS/RS Transformers Edition w/ sun roof. Delivered 7 Dec 2009

2012 Transformers bumper vinyl| Rear tire vent vinyl by SLP|Airaid CAI|Kooks headers w/ high flow cats, Borla S type cat back| Customized tune from Lew, Dyno'd 421HP and 375TQ at 4600' and 82ºF
JoeFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #282
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
The local Ford dealer had a 2011 GT500 with the SVT pack for 55,450 out the door with TTL. They had it about two weeks and sure enough, it was out the door and I've seen it rolling around town.

Amazing car. My salesman buddy took me for a drive in it the morning it came in, and let me tell you..it was a shock. It was like the bottled God's fury, put it into a car and said "go at it". After we went for the drive they put it on the local performance shops dyno and it produced 489 RWHP, scary.
well 55k out the door isn't bad at all. and that's why I was asking him.

I give respect to the shelby, but seeing how we don't know what the Z28 is capable of or what it offers it's hard to tell which will be the better deal performance wise. either way the camaro is for me. . .
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #283
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFire View Post
Awesome!! Looks great. I'm wondering however, why you would have a tow hitch on it even in testing? Trying to move mountains I guess.
Its to tow test equipment. The red covers are QD's where the test equipment plugs into.

This car is going down the same path as the ZR1 did. Pictures leaked, mid to late year and then it made public apperiances early the next year. Then finally GM release public press releases early to mid the next year.

I predict GM will release full info about it early next year if not sooner.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 AM   #284
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Too bad they didn't used the Paris auto show "modial de l'automobile" - which is said to be the biggest on earth - to release at least the look of the Z28.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #285
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Too bad they didn't used the Paris auto show "modial de l'automobile" - which is said to be the biggest on earth - to release at least the look of the Z28.
They barely sell the Camaro in Europe, why would they debut the Z28 over there?

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #286
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
SO....where is the power steering pump?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #287
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
SO....where is the power steering pump?
Maybe they had to relocate it; OR - electric? I gotta' look at some pics'...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #288
radz28
Petro-sexual

I don't see one on the CTS-V LSA...

Edit - there it is... next to the TB :(
Attached Images

"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #289
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

Is the LSA pulley tensioner spring loaded too or?
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #290
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Well - there's a tensioner for the V in that image, and I can see one from Z28, so I believe so. I'm certainly no expert though
Old 10-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #291
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I don't know what to do. Keep the SS and mod it or wait for the Z/28?!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #292
karr1008
Supercharging

Drives: 20XX Camaro SS
I wonder how much would this LSA on the Z28 can handle power wise. Correct me if I am wrong but, I've heard that the engine in the 2011 GT500 can handle up to 1000 Hp before doing internals. wow.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:28 PM   #293
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Quote:
The powersteering pump is almost allways on the left side or driverside of the engine. The belt for the S/C is going to have an tensioner on it and yes its spring loaded. I don't think I've ever seen a non-springloaded tensioner on a OEM setup. In the "Z/28" picture its next to the fuse box and ECM. The S/C pulley is right next to the TB follow the belt to the left.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #294
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

That's a Cadillac LSA. No idea one way or the other...but they may have altered some things for this engine.

No way to know until it comes out, but I'm lovin' the eye-candy so far!!

It seems they did away with both the Leno and "Ram Air" style hood. Good!! Too many people have done that already.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #295
steddy2112

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
I have to disagree with this because the new C7's are coming in 2013 and along with that ,Z06 and ZR1, so I wouldn't bet on that theory. Just my two cents.
The Z06 will not come right away, and don't expect the ZR1 to make the jump.

They won't make a Camaro that out performs a Z06...unless you're talking about seating performance LMAO
Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #296
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Some one post the VIN number so we can see if it's really a Z-28. The pictures once again say nothing other than it's a Camaro with a different engine. Could be a new up model from the SS and not even a 28 at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post

489 isn't scary at all... that's easily obtained in an SS right now with some mods. I want to see the Z around 650 or so at the wheels. THAT would be scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Handling is something I know a bit about.

Some of those 3rd gear maneuvers at such high RPM's makes my body hurt. Shift man, SHIFT!

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #297
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
Some one post the VIN number so we can see if it's really a Z-28. The pictures once again say nothing other than it's a Camaro with a different engine. Could be a new up model from the SS and not even a 28 at all.

489 isn't scary at all... that's easily obtained in an SS right now with some mods. I want to see the Z around 650 or so at the wheels. THAT would be scary.
why would the vin be different if it's a test mule? and how would you even know? a random designation for the engine difference? hmmmmmmmmmmm I highly doubt that.

I don't see GM selling a Z28 with 650 at the wheels. . .now modifying one to do that. . .I could see that.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #298
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I forget what FbodFather said, but hideaways are a no-go these days.
safety reasons prohibit them from using them.

Quote:
Maybe they had to relocate it; OR - electric? I gotta' look at some pics'...
hmmmm.... free hp anyone?

Quote:

Quote:
Well - there's a tensioner for the V in that image, and I can see one from Z28, so I believe so. I'm certainly no expert though

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4lyfe View Post
The powersteering pump is almost allways on the left side or driverside of the engine. The belt for the S/C is going to have an tensioner on it and yes its spring loaded. I don't think I've ever seen a non-springloaded tensioner on a OEM setup. In the "Z/28" picture its next to the fuse box and ECM. The S/C pulley is right next to the TB follow the belt to the left.
almost always doesnt mean always. with the LS series architecture, it is most often found on the drivers side. LT series had the pump on the pass side and the resevoir on the drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
I don't see GM selling a Z28 with 650 at the wheels. . .now modifying one to do that. . .I could see that.
maybe not at the wheels, but they never market the RWHP of vehicles. too many variables in play. but 650 reliably at the crank.... still a potent performer.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #299
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post

The reason why we believe its a Z28 is because it dovetails perfectly with all that we've heard about the Z28 so far.

GM won't be selling a $100,000 Z28 any time soon.

Some of those 3rd gear maneuvers at such high RPM's makes my body hurt. Shift man, SHIFT!
When I got a ride around in that car, shifting was the last thing on my mind. I was more concerned with when he was going to hit the brakes. And the next day, my body did hurt ... my neck was sore. Not sure if it was from the car or the motel pillows though.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #300
BLUESMOKE69

Drives: Saturn Astra 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
why would the vin be different if it's a test mule? and how would you even know? a random designation for the engine difference? hmmmmmmmmmmm I highly doubt that.

I totally agree....I hope GM will give us a great starting point for future mods. 500 hp bone stock would be perfect with plenty of room to mod if someone so desires. I believe GM will do the right thing.

Personally, this HP thing is really getting out of hand!! Folks we're talking super car status for what 50Gs. As some of you mentioned, no Camaro will get more HP than a Corvette.

On one of the test mules, the plate says.......029 m 465 MICHIGAN. This is just a pure out of this world guess..."code Z/29 with 465hp". PURE 100% SPECULATION!!!!

I also noticed two other mules....028m564 plate and 028m899 plate. Imagine for all you hp junkies......"899 hp"........ I would love it GM would have let's say more than one engine choice.

Tags
2011 camaro z28, 2012 camaro z-28, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 z-28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro z-28, 2013 camaro z28, 2013 z28, 2014 camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, chevrolet, ls9, lsa, new camaro z-28, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new z-28, new z28, new z28 forum, z/28, z28, z28 forum, z28 spy photos, z28 spy shots, z28 spyshots