Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack Discuss issues related to wheels and tires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
sting39
 
Drives: 2007 ss cobalt
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: plainfield,il
Posts: 21
Smile about all-season tires

The tires that are on the red camaro that heather is driving are Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow P725/40R20, which are listed on Perelli website, as for a Light Tuck or SUV. Perelli aslo has all season tires in the size of P275/40R20 and P245/45R20 whic are aslo listed as for light Suv or light trucks. So Why can't GM offer us a option for either summer tires or all season tires.

Let GM know some of us want all season tires
sting39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
mmelson
 
Drives: 2003 Tacoma
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 33
+1!
mmelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Matrix

 
Matrix's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,521
I guarantee that you DONT want to drive a powerful car like this on all seasons especially in snow areas. You will regret it. You NEED winter tires. PERIOD.
__________________
SIM Camaro 2010 V8-2SS/RS-A6!!+
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Croathlete
Danny
 
Croathlete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,657
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Tire rack doesn't show any winter tires that match the front size. Would getting just the rear winter tires make any sense?
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I guarantee that you DONT want to drive a powerful car like this on all seasons especially in snow areas. You will regret it. You NEED winter tires. PERIOD.
I've driven many "powerful cars like this" on all season in all kinds of snow. You do not need winter snow tires period. This assertion is getting annoying, all seasons are fine for snow if you dont drive like a prick.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,218
Guys if you want all season tires then buy them your self. what's wrong with that?? obviously with all season tires the camaro SS will be hampered performance wise.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've driven many "powerful cars like this" on all season in all kinds of snow. You do not need winter snow tires period. This assertion is getting annoying, all seasons are fine for snow if you dont drive like a prick.


Seriously folks. If you need winter snow tires to feel like you can drive in the snow then you need to learn how to drive. I've driven cars with almost as much power with summer tires in the snow. It's not about the tires, it's about how you drive.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post


Seriously folks. If you need winter snow tires to feel like you can drive in the snow then you need to learn how to drive. I've driven cars with almost as much power with summer tires in the snow. It's not about the tires, it's about how you drive.
Thank you! At least someone understands. This car has similar driving dynamics to a Mustang, Corvette, Charger, 3 Series, C-Class, CTS, etc. They all make it through the Snow just fine, you see it all the time.

In the end its still a car not a Hayabusa.....
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
Just because it says SUV class just means it has a good load rating it does not mean you can't run them. Lot of low profile rims on truck frames nowdays anyway.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M
 
OUR72GTO's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kamloops,British Columbia
Posts: 4,623
I will be putting 4 snow rated tires on this just like the Honda Accord coupe AND my 4 X 4 Silverado.

We have some experience with snow up here and always shake our heads as we pass all the dummies spinning with all season.

Get caught as a contributor to an accident without snows and see how fast your insurance company will leave you "adrift ".
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
wjones14
 
wjones14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Niantic CT
Posts: 280
The problem with winter tires is that they are terrible on dry roads. They feel squishy and squirmy compared to all-season or summer tires. Where I live in coastal CT, the days when the roads are dry far outnumber the days when the roads have snow. If I lived in Buffalo NY or something like that I'd probably be singing a different tune, but in moderate snow climates, I think all-seasons are fine, even on a powerful RWD car like the Camaro. (summer tires may be pushing it, however )

The other problem with winter tires is that you also need summer or all-season tires, and for convenience, you'd likely want a spare set of rims dedicated for the winter tires. So it's yet another expense...
__________________
2005 Mustang GT, Screaming Yellow, Hurst 5-speed
Past cars: 1965 Corvette 396 Convertible, 1971 Olds 4-4-2 W-30, 1974 Z28, 1980 Z28, 1984 Z28, 1987 Mustang GT, 1995 Mustang GT - all M4 or M5.
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 AM   #12
Matrix

 
Matrix's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thank you! At least someone understands. This car has similar driving dynamics to a Mustang, Corvette, Charger, 3 Series, C-Class, CTS, etc. They all make it through the Snow just fine, you see it all the time.

In the end its still a car not a Hayabusa.....
Sorry BUT driving in snow is one thing. Stopping and then going at lights on a hill is another. I dont care how good a driver you are, come to my town and try driving on all seasons and you'll see! You prolly live in a flat town or something.
__________________
SIM Camaro 2010 V8-2SS/RS-A6!!+
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver
 
TheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've driven many "powerful cars like this" on all season in all kinds of snow. You do not need winter snow tires period. This assertion is getting annoying, all seasons are fine for snow if you dont drive like a prick.
Wrong. The rubber compounds are just as piss poor for snow as they are for summer performance. Performance tires are great in the summer and suck in the winter, snow tires are the opposite, all seasons suck at everything. People who use all seasons know nothing about proper tires.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
wjones14
 
wjones14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Mustang GT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Niantic CT
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Wrong.
...

People who use all seasons know nothing about proper tires.

that's quite a statement! I guess I know nothing about proper tires, and haven't for the past 35 years or so, because all I've ever driven is high performance RWD cars with all season tires. And I live in New England and drive year 'round.
__________________
2005 Mustang GT, Screaming Yellow, Hurst 5-speed
Past cars: 1965 Corvette 396 Convertible, 1971 Olds 4-4-2 W-30, 1974 Z28, 1980 Z28, 1984 Z28, 1987 Mustang GT, 1995 Mustang GT - all M4 or M5.
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
ChevyBoiSS
 
ChevyBoiSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 302
anyone who is saying its not about the tires but about the driver has never seen chicago weather at its worst. You honestly have no idea what your talking about when most factory wheeled cars with winter or all season tires stand no chance at some of the weather here. its so bad here, there is a salt shortage and the news tells every1 to stay n when its 3 degrees and the roads are slick. u gotta be kidding me. i need winter tires.
ChevyBoiSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
silly easterners, here in washington i can run summers all year long....
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
theholycow


 
theholycow's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 2,699
I've always done fine with all-seasons, but the next time I can afford the investment I plan to buy some snow tires. I can't think of a good reason NOT to. The way I see it, if I do fine with all-seasons, snow tires should be like a luxury. It's not like they're a waste of money -- when you're using them you're not wearing your all-season or summer tires. The only extra expense is the rims for them.

I also don't need a lot of power, good handling, or good brakes to get to my destination safely but I like having them.
__________________
Removing weight has surprisingly little effect on fuel economy
Engine break-in procedure | Gear ratios
2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 5.3 (190,000 miles and going strong)
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,930
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoiSS View Post
anyone who is saying its not about the tires but about the driver has never seen chicago weather at its worst. You honestly have no idea what your talking about when most factory wheeled cars with winter or all season tires stand no chance at some of the weather here. its so bad here, there is a salt shortage and the news tells every1 to stay n when its 3 degrees and the roads are slick. u gotta be kidding me. i need winter tires.



Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
silly easterners, here in washington i can run summers all year long....
lol here in charleston I can do the same thing.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me
 
GothamCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NW Gotham, IL
Posts: 1,599
Chicago boy here, my whole life in Chicago I have used all-season tires, been through all the nasty blizzards and what-not in Chicago since I was a teen.

Even though I'll stick to my SUV as my winter car (with all season tires) If I had too, I would stick all-season on my Camaro.

Knowing how to drive in the snow is a huge deal, so I believe some do know how to drive w/ Summer tires in the snow.... I would never do that, my drives are interesting enough with all-season tires.
__________________
Own- "Does it come in Black?" Exterior/ Grey Interior 2LT/RS Automatic
_____________________________________
The Batman would only drive a 2010 Camaro and buy from Camaro Scotty. 'Nuff said.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
JayhawkSS
Autobot
 
JayhawkSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 253
So does anyone know if the Camaro comes equiped with summer or all season tires?

I agree that driving has alot to do with it. I live in Kansas and the amount of snow that we get is moderate. However there are those days when I tell me self, "man I'm glad I have a 4x4 SUV".
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS | Silver Ice Metallic
LS3..Black Leather..Sunroof - Delivered! 06/27/2009
ROCK CHALK!!!
JayhawkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
camaropete
I love crepes
 
camaropete's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,313
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkSS View Post
So does anyone know if the Camaro comes equiped with summer or all season tires?

I agree that driving has alot to do with it. I live in Kansas and the amount of snow that we get is moderate. However there are those days when I tell me self, "man I'm glad I have a 4x4 SUV".
Depends on the model. From the order workbook:

1LS/1LT: P245/55R18 touring all-season tires
2LT: P245/50R19 touring tires
1SS/2SS: P245/45ZR20 front and P275/40ZR20 rear Pirelli summer tires
__________________
camaropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #22
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation
 
Rogue Leader's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Sorry BUT driving in snow is one thing. Stopping and then going at lights on a hill is another. I dont care how good a driver you are, come to my town and try driving on all seasons and you'll see! You prolly live in a flat town or something.
There are plenty of hills and such in my area, and yes we have traffic lights as well hehe! There are plenty of places in the world where I would prefer Snow tires, Canada is one of them, Buffalo as well. This has been a prety terrible winter where I live (Southern NY, Long Island), but we have had them in the past and I survived fine on all seasons. I'm sure no matter how bad the winter is here, its not as bad as you would have in Canada. But you shoudn't assert All seasons have no place, they do, and they will work if need be. But If I had to deal with winters like you probably have, snow tires are needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig
Wrong. The rubber compounds are just as piss poor for snow as they are for summer performance. Performance tires are great in the summer and suck in the winter, snow tires are the opposite, all seasons suck at everything. People who use all seasons know nothing about proper tires.
Thank you for your assertion that I know nothing about tires. You have no idea who I am or my credentials, but I see you are good at taking the monkier of a respected car tester. I guess you've taken a few track days maybe did a few autocrosses in your M3, so now you know everything about road racing, tires, etc. Spoken like a typical BMW owner...

So if we are making assertions about eachother I am going to assert that I likely have more experience behind the wheel of everything you could possibly imagine to drive in my left pinky than you ever could have. Not only that I've driven on every kind of tire you could imagine, and I've driven cars just like this in the snow on all seasons and had just as easy of a time driving as anyone else on the road. Do summer tires and winter tires have their place, absolutely! Will a summer tire or winter tire handle the road better or handle snow better (respectively) than any all season? Definitely. Can an all season do both respectably, from someone who HAS driven them A LOT, absolutely.

See when you ASSuME you make an ASS out of U and try to make one out of ME. But thanks for your input.
__________________
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #23
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver
 
TheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thank you for your assertion that I know nothing about tires. You have no idea who I am or my credentials, but I see you are good at taking the monkier of a respected car tester. I guess you've taken a few track days maybe did a few autocrosses in your M3, so now you know everything about road racing, tires, etc. Spoken like a typical BMW owner...

So if we are making assertions about eachother I am going to assert that I likely have more experience behind the wheel of everything you could possibly imagine to drive in my left pinky than you ever could have. Not only that I've driven on every kind of tire you could imagine, and I've driven cars just like this in the snow on all seasons and had just as easy of a time driving as anyone else on the road. Do summer tires and winter tires have their place, absolutely! Will a summer tire or winter tire handle the road better or handle snow better (respectively) than any all season? Definitely. Can an all season do both respectably, from someone who HAS driven them A LOT, absolutely.

See when you ASSuME you make an ASS out of U and try to make one out of ME. But thanks for your input.
All I see is wah wah wah BMW owner, and then you agree with my point.

And judging by the crap around here(like the chrome bling 22" wheel people), I do know a fair bit more than most here. And yes, I've driven them all, a lot, on track an off. PS2s for summer, Dunlop M3s for winter, R-Comps for track ONLY.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #24
Muscle Master
SS Lightning
 
Muscle Master's Avatar
 
Drives: An SRT8
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 2,306
I hate big wheels, I mean I all for some 24's on a 96 impala but its a limit, especially for muscle cars.... I will be doing 19's in the front and 20's in the backs
__________________

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
TheStig
Tame Racing Driver
 
TheStig's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I hate big wheels, I mean I all for some 24's on a 96 impala but its a limit, especially for muscle cars.... I will be doing 19's in the front and 20's in the backs
That runs the risk of f'ing up your traction control. I'd look into that more if I was you.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
about getting 20" all season tires sting39 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 15 11-25-2012 12:03 PM
Drivers Can't Rely on Summer and All-Season Tires, or Electronics for Control on Snow KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 25 07-22-2011 11:51 AM
We want all season tires for the SS Rogue Leader Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 72 01-07-2009 08:02 PM
question on tires sting39 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 1 12-16-2008 02:27 AM
about tires sting39 Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 24 12-05-2008 03:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.