Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Rob490

Drives: NONE
Test Driving Questions

Quick questions about test drives.

Is there an age limit?
Time limit?
is it dealers choice?

The camaro will be my first test drive,
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
the dealer's insurance, local laws, and how bad they want to sell cars (more willing to bend rules when they think they've got a sale).

Me thinks it'll be quite a while before Camaros will be available for a test drive, especially if you're asking about age limits. Not because I think dealers discriminate... oh wait yea I do.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob490 View Post
Quick questions about test drives.

Is there an age limit?
Time limit?
is it dealers choice?

The camaro will be my first test drive,
It totally depends on what your asking to drive. If you look really young and you ask to test drive a V8 camaro then they will probably want to make sure that you are serious about buying the car first.

I'm 23, but I look 16 and I can't tell you how much trouble a salesman gives me when I ask to test drive a car. Whenever I ask for a test drive they usually bring me inside and start talking to me about finances and practically trying to scare me away, and usually somehow we start talking about my age and when I tell them how old I am their attitude completely changes. They are like, "your 23???, Seriously, your messing with me" and once the lady wouldn't believe me until she saw my license. I didn't like her. She didn't know jack about the G8. Thats a whole other story that I won't get into.

I do know that around here if your not 25, and you ask to test drive a corvette they will laugh at you. And you will get turned down, unless of course you show them that you have the coin to back it up.

I honestly don't know if there will be an age limit for the camaro, the corvette is the only vehicle that I have ever heard of people getting shot down for a test drive because of age so....This post is almost useless to you...D@mn, sorry man
Old 12-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Legally there is no age limit as long as you can prove you have a valid drivers license. I've seen quite a few dealers turn down test drives based on age or because they thought the person just wanted to go for a joyride but doing so does go against consumer laws. I know of 1 lawsuit that took place because of this and the kid got a free Mustang. It's also none of the dealers business of your financial state for just a test drive.

I'm not aware of any time limits but all the dealers around here have a set route that the salesman is suppose to follow and they know the approximate time it takes to travel that route.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
All the Ford dealers around me wouldn't let anyone test drive a GT500. They'd let you sit in it and they'd let you test drive a Mustang GT to get a feel for that size Mustang. And they'd explain that if you were the person who wound up purchasing the car, you would probably prefer that it didn't already have eighty miles on it from a dozen or more test drives.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Legally there is no age limit as long as you can prove you have a valid drivers license. I've seen quite a few dealers turn down test drives based on age or because they thought the person just wanted to go for a joyride but doing so does go against consumer laws. I know of 1 lawsuit that took place because of this and the kid got a free Mustang. It's also none of the dealers business of your financial state for just a test drive.

I'm not aware of any time limits but all the dealers around here have a set route that the salesman is suppose to follow and they know the approximate time it takes to travel that route.
many high-end car dealers won't let you test drive cars unless you're 25 because of insurance reasons. from the dealer's standpoint, i don't see anything wrong with saying no to someone who just looks like they want a joyride. that puts miles on their brand new cars & uses their gas and has no benefit for them in the end.

my suggestion to the OP is to go to some local used dealers and ask to test drive one of their nicer cars. if you act responsible & mature and are knowledgeable about the vehicle you are looking at, you will almost always get a drive (maybe not by yourself, especially with a manual... again, insurance reasons). this should help you get familiar with the process. hope this helps
Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
My guess is at first, any Camaro at a dealer will be one ordered. Therefore, you won't be able to test drive one at first.

Once production meets demand, and they appear on lots, I'll bet you'll be able to test drive one.

It will most likely depend on the individual dealer.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Yeah if the dealer was using my ordered car to test drive people, I would be some kinda pissed. Give it a coupla months
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Rob, Zebra actually has a really good suggestion there. I would try going to a couple of places and test driving some cars there. That will make sure you have done it before and might take the edge off when you get in front of the Camaro.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Rob490

Drives: NONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
many high-end car dealers won't let you test drive cars unless you're 25 because of insurance reasons. from the dealer's standpoint, i don't see anything wrong with saying no to someone who just looks like they want a joyride. that puts miles on their brand new cars & uses their gas and has no benefit for them in the end.

my suggestion to the OP is to go to some local used dealers and ask to test drive one of their nicer cars. if you act responsible & mature and are knowledgeable about the vehicle you are looking at, you will almost always get a drive (maybe not by yourself, especially with a manual... again, insurance reasons). this should help you get familiar with the process. hope this helps

Ya ill probably do that thanks again for all your answers/suggestions and just to let you guys know i obviously wont be test driving an SS, just a v6 so i know what im getting my self into and im gonna be getting one eventually hopefully in about 11 months so i can tell them they have a sale if theryre nice enough Lastly ill be doing it around september where hopefully things arnt as crazy and all orders have been filled

THanks again for your answers really appreciate it
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
I was turned down to test drive the WS6 back in 1999. I was twenty at the time.
sykb47l is offline   Reply With Quote