Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
JohnnyrSS
 
JohnnyrSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 150
Muffler Delete Yes / No! Headers Worth It?

Hi guys I have been searching and asking questions but never really got the answers I was looking for so I thought I would post my experiences for others on the muffler delete and headers.

The muffler delete sounded like a good cheap idea instead of jumping to a cat back exhaust I was not really planning on headers in the near future so I was really only going for sound. I had the mufflers removed but kept the resonators on the car and added 4" pipes, the sound was much better than I expected it to be. The car sounded as it should from the factory it had a nice growl on start up was quite cruiseing and when you had it at WOT it roared.

This experience was so good I decided to think about headers I decided to go with 1 7/8" American Racing Headers with Cats and the X-Pipe I need to shout out Chris at (Courtesy Performance) in Poughkeepsie NY for a great experience with the purchase and install they really know their stuff and I will be back for more. When I was deciding on what and if I should buy them I wondered whether the car was going to be way to loud now and would I really notice a difference with the headers? I had a injen intake and SCT Tune so the basics were there for the headers. Well I can now say WOW the car sounds sick, you start it and you just know there is something special under the hood at 2500rpm in first and second I can see it being a little load for some and probably police I think it is perfect. At WOT it sounds like a Nascar what a sound. Although I love the sound I do not want to be pulled over a lot so I will be buying a corsa exhaust if I had known I would have bought Headers I would have kept the stock mufflers for this reason.

The car really woke up after the headers shut off the traction control and hit the gas it is like driving a different car there is a big increase in low end torque and overal power. I would recommend this Header setup to anyone and I really want to thank Courtesy for all there help and a great result.
__________________
2011 Black 2SS/RS 6spd
INJEN INTAKE
JANNETY TUNE
ARH Headers w/ Cats and X-Pipe
Blacked Out
Hard Wired Escort 9500i
Borla Atak
MGW Shifter
SPRINTBOOSTER
JohnnyrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
gomeangreen
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 5
Cool. I have the muffler delete and it was good enough for awhile but I need more! So I will be going the same route as you, however, I will probably go with a magnaflow catback.
gomeangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
BlaSSt Off
 
BlaSSt Off's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 587
I love mine with the Kooks long tubes and mufler delete. I love cruising in that spot where its loudest. When I get tired of it, I shift, and can hardley hear it. I think the ones that complain about "drone" dont really want to hear anything inside the car. They want it so everybody else hears it but them. If I change the exhaust, I want to hear what I payed for! I like it loud. If I wanted a comfy cruiser I would have bought a caddy!
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,624
Headers IMO are the only bolt on that really makes a seat of the pants difference. I highly recommend.

Muffler delete is passable on a stock car..but way too obnoxious for a car with headers.
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
JohnnyrSS
 
JohnnyrSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 150
I have to agree there was a small difference with the tune and intake but once the headers were installed there is really a huge difference in power.
I was thinking about Magnaflows but I heard they were a little quite. I really don't want to calm the car down to much I have had Borlas on my 97 Z28 with headers I think I need to listen to some more clips. But I could not be happier with the headers.
__________________
2011 Black 2SS/RS 6spd
INJEN INTAKE
JANNETY TUNE
ARH Headers w/ Cats and X-Pipe
Blacked Out
Hard Wired Escort 9500i
Borla Atak
MGW Shifter
SPRINTBOOSTER
JohnnyrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Headers IMO are the only bolt on that really makes a seat of the pants difference. I highly recommend.

Muffler delete is passable on a stock car..but way too obnoxious for a car with headers.

I have to agree. Long tubes make a noticeable difference in performance. Most guys will see several tenths improvement in the 1/4 mile.

Muffler delete with long tubes is for someone that really wants to make a lot of noise. When you're running wide open, the cops can hear you coming from miles away. So it's not for everyone.
If you live in a neighborhood, you're neighbors won't be too happy with you either. There's just no way to start your car in the morning (cold start up) without making a ton of noise.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I have to agree. Long tubes make a noticeable difference in performance. Most guys will see several tenths improvement in the 1/4 mile.

Muffler delete with long tubes is for someone that really wants to make a lot of noise. When you're running wide open, the cops can hear you coming from miles away. So it's not for everyone.
If you live in a neighborhood, you're neighbors won't be too happy with you either. There's just no way to start your car in the morning (cold start up) without making a ton of noise.
ya, that setup is just to loud... and the drone is another story
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyrSS View Post
I was thinking about Magnaflows but I heard they were a little quite.
Corsa is known to be really quiet at idle and at low speeds (at least that's what I've heard).

I had the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe and muffler delete on my car before and then went Magnaflow 3" with the headers. To me the 3" with headers sounds about the same as what I had before but with a much deeper tone once the car starts idiling. With the tune I can now hear the factory cam....obviously not as much lope as a Stage II or anything but I can now hear it.

It's probably not quite as loud at WOT as the muffler delete but it definatley sounds good and everyone around can hear it. Mine only has about 400 miles on it so far. They are supposed to "season up" and get a little louder after 1k or so. We'll see....but I happy with it the way it is even if not.

I think either Corsa or Maganflow 3" if you want some nice street manners but the Magnaflow is probably going to fit the wallet better. You can get the Magnaflow for around $900 shipped.
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
JUISSD

 
JUISSD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,239
I think long tubes and muffler delete is perfect. I have ARH 1 7/8" headers, ARH catted X, and a Magnaflow Comp axle back. It's loud at WOT, sounds deep and aggressive at part throttle, and is quiet enough while cruising on the highway to have a conversation in the car without yelling. I love it.
__________________
2010 White/IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6


JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Corsa is known to be really quiet at idle and at low speeds (at least that's what I've heard).

I had the Magnaflow resonated x-pipe and muffler delete on my car before and then went Magnaflow 3" with the headers. To me the 3" with headers sounds about the same as what I had before but with a much deeper tone once the car starts idiling. With the tune I can now hear the factory cam....obviously not as much lope as a Stage II or anything but I can now hear it.

It's probably not quite as loud at WOT as the muffler delete but it definatley sounds good and everyone around can hear it. Mine only has about 400 miles on it so far. They are supposed to "season up" and get a little louder after 1k or so. We'll see....but I happy with it the way it is even if not.

I think either Corsa or Maganflow 3" if you want some nice street manners but the Magnaflow is probably going to fit the wallet better. You can get the Magnaflow for around $900 shipped.
corsa has a loud idle, and loud start up... and loud at wot... but quiet at cruising ...

heres a z06 with corsa
thats a pretty loud idle to me

zr1 corsa


camaro corsa
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
BlaSSt Off
 
BlaSSt Off's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
I think long tubes and muffler delete is perfect. I have ARH 1 7/8" headers, ARH catted X, and a Magnaflow Comp axle back. It's loud at WOT, sounds deep and aggressive at part throttle, and is quiet enough while cruising on the highway to have a conversation in the car without yelling. I love it.
And my neighbors dont mind at all. Even if they do... Its my car and it sounds awsome. It is only obnoxious to others if you redline it all the time. And with my long tubes and mufler delete, there is no "drone", its just a louder exhaust note.

I say try out the headers with your muffler delete and if you dont like it then order an overpriced catback or just order some aftermarket mufflers and have them welded in by a shop.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.
 
x626xBlack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston Tx. from Lafayette La.
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
I love mine with the Kooks long tubes and mufler delete. I love cruising in that spot where its loudest. When I get tired of it, I shift, and can hardley hear it. I think the ones that complain about "drone" dont really want to hear anything inside the car. They want it so everybody else hears it but them. If I change the exhaust, I want to hear what I payed for! I like it loud. If I wanted a comfy cruiser I would have bought a caddy!
You obviously do not know what "drone" is.... It is not the sound of your exhaust inside of the cabin. It is the resonation/vibration at a specific pitch. It has nothing to do with volume or loudness. It happens at specific RMP spectrum, it is not present at WOT when exhausts are at their loudest. Ever seen someone pass their finger on the edge of a crystal wineglass and hear the noise it makes? That is the equivalent of drone.

Know what your talking about before you go knocking other people.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
BlaSSt Off
 
BlaSSt Off's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
corsa has a loud idle, and loud start up... and loud at wot... but quiet at cruising ...

heres a z06 with corsa
thats a pretty loud idle to me

zr1 corsa


camaro corsa

You cant tell how loud an exhaust is with a video clip... You can make anything loud in a video if you focus in on it.

A close friend of mine has shorty headers and corsa cat back and it sounds just a LITTLE louder then stock. She was very disappointed.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
BlaSSt Off
 
BlaSSt Off's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
You obviously do not know what "drone" is.... It is not the sound of your exhaust inside of the cabin. It is the resonation/vibration at a specific pitch. It has nothing to do with volume or loudness. It happens at specific RMP spectrum, it is not present at WOT when exhausts are at their loudest. Ever seen someone pass their finger on the edge of a crystal wineglass and hear the noise it makes? That is the equivalent of drone.

Know what your talking about before you go knocking other people.
Ive had several vehicles with actuall drone and the Camaro isnt one of them... Im not sure if im not driving around in the right "rpm spectrum".

Definition of DRONE

intransitive verb
1
a : to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming, or buzzing sound <droning bees>

So wouldnt that be Resonence you are talking about?
Definition of RESONANCE

1
a : the quality or state of being resonant b (1) : a vibration of large amplitude in a mechanical or electrical system caused by a relatively small periodic stimulus of the same or nearly the same period as the natural vibration period of the system (2) : the state of adjustment that produces resonance in a mechanical or electrical system

2
a : the intensification and enriching of a musical tone by supplementary vibration b : a quality imparted to voiced sounds by vibration in anatomical resonating chambers or cavities (as the mouth or the nasal cavity)

What was that about knocking on people and knowing what your talking about??? And who was I knocking on?
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
You cant tell how loud an exhaust is with a video clip... You can make anything loud in a video if you focus in on it.

A close friend of mine has shorty headers and corsa cat back and it sounds just a LITTLE louder then stock. She was very disappointed.
well there is two 2010 camaro corsa exhaust you can get. one is quieter then the other.. but still trying to say corsa it not a quiet exhaust
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
JUISSD

 
JUISSD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,239
Mine will drone something terrible at a very specific sustained rpm in 5th gear on the highway. I shift into 6th and all is good.
__________________
2010 White/IOM Camaro 2SS/RS M6


JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Camaro54
 
Camaro54's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 526
[QUOTE=JohnnyrSS;2423374]I have to agree there was a small difference with the tune and intake but once the headers were installed there is really a huge difference in power.


If you think you like it now just wait till you add the SUPERCHARGER.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,401
LT'S and muffler delete sound great, but as previously mentioned, it does drone something fierce between 1800 and 2000 rpm. You even get a little under acceleration rowing through the gears. Adding the 28" capped tubes to the exhaust grts rid of 99% of it and leaves a very clean sounding system. Much quieter on cold startup and the sound is cleaner. Grand total was 120 bucks.... cant beat that price.
__________________

2G1FS1EWXD9163847





MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
Bell040


 
Bell040's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: B'ham, Alabama
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ya, that setup is just to loud... and the drone is another story


Longtubes and cutouts is the way to go
__________________
Ordered: 10-13-08
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Longtubes and cutouts is the way to go
yup
__________________

2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
C7 Z06 next
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #21
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10
 
TaylorRyanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,914
I am thinking of getting headers too in a couple months. I have the muffler delete also but I want louder. Will shorty headers be as loud as long tube?
__________________

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #22
onechuck
Onechuck
 
onechuck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
Join Date: May 2009
Location: White Oak Tx
Posts: 502
Go with the corsa you will not be disappointed. I have them and I love them. They have out a axle back exhaust now. Don't buy the full exhaust when you don't need it.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #23
CombatVet0311
 
CombatVet0311's Avatar
 
Drives: blk 2010 camaro 2ss l99
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 167
is it safe to assume that high flow cats on stock manifolds are a little tamer with the muffler delete, or is this setup just as loud as headers with MD
CombatVet0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #24
JohnnyrSS
 
JohnnyrSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 150
If you are asking will hi flow cats be quiter then headers yes they will. I ended up purchasing Borla Atak mufflers to mellow the car out. I have heard some promising sound clips I am hoping for good results.
__________________
2011 Black 2SS/RS 6spd
INJEN INTAKE
JANNETY TUNE
ARH Headers w/ Cats and X-Pipe
Blacked Out
Hard Wired Escort 9500i
Borla Atak
MGW Shifter
SPRINTBOOSTER
JohnnyrSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
alfie43

 
alfie43's Avatar
 
Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alfie (Mariano) lives in Shelby Twp, Metro-Detroit
Posts: 1,118
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
LT'S and muffler delete sound great, but as previously mentioned, it does drone something fierce between 1800 and 2000 rpm. You even get a little under acceleration rowing through the gears. Adding the 28" capped tubes to the exhaust grts rid of 99% of it and leaves a very clean sounding system. Much quieter on cold startup and the sound is cleaner. Grand total was 120 bucks.... cant beat that price.
What are these "28" capped tubes" you speak of?
Alfie
__________________
alfie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
muffler delete with xpipe and no resonators, first imprseeions caper Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 11 07-05-2011 04:41 PM
Muffler Delete or Pypes Cherry Bomb on 2010 SS? gtothep123 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 5 09-14-2010 03:39 PM
Pacesetter Headers, offroad connection pipes, h-pipe, slp loudmouth (muffler delete) jmjackso Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 16 03-15-2010 06:59 PM
Headers and muffler delete completed J-Rod6410 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 3 03-07-2010 11:08 PM
DIY Marriage-saving muffler delete robertway Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 11 02-20-2010 01:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.