Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
RobRiot88
 
RobRiot88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 202
drivetrain strengths and weaknesses

Im hearing all kinds of different info about what the weakest point in the SS's drivetrain is. If i were to mount up some sticky hoosiers for the strip. what would be the first thing to break? what would be the second thing? How strong are these camaros axles, tranny, and diff??
__________________
RobRiot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Malice
 
Malice's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3/M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cherry Point, NC
Posts: 61
This is all heresay, but what I've heard is:

The stock clutch is near the top of it's operating capability. Slicks or alot of extra power wil make short work of the clutch.

Alot of the earlier production cars were having trouble with the half shafts in the rear IIRC.
__________________
2010 CAMARO RS/2SS LS3/M6 RED JEWEL
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice View Post
This is all heresay, but what I've heard is:

The stock clutch is near the top of it's operating capability. Slicks or alot of extra power wil make short work of the clutch.

Alot of the earlier production cars were having trouble with the half shafts in the rear IIRC.
Slicks are about the best thing you could do to protect your car. The big sidewall and ability to flex and wrinkle only helps soften the blow of a hard launch. I credit my slicks for keeping my car in one piece for so long on the stock stuff. Prob just jinxed myself!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™
 
Andro's Avatar
 
Drives: Force Fed 427
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: GOT BOOST?
Posts: 5,214
Axles, driveshaft, driveshaft bolts, and more just can't think of them though that's a start
__________________
Andro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
RobRiot88
 
RobRiot88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 202
thanks for the help. i was thinking about doing some bogart 17s with hoosiers. kinda like u supercharged ss. wut size tire shud i use? and im also going to do subframe bushing and a subframe connector to have a solid rearend. your opinion?
__________________
RobRiot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS
 
danhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ford City, PA
Posts: 2,048
Send a message via AIM to danhr
early tr6060 models have an issue with the output shaft

clutch.. depending on power levels

trailing arms have been known to bend/break

halfshafts have been known to break

heard of a quite a few blowing the stock differential, even without 4.10's.

It's different for each car, on what breaks first. There are only two bias ply tires available for a 17" wheel. a 28x10" tall full slick from hoosier, or a 26x11.5 et street from mickey thompson. The mickey's are street legal, the hoosier's are not.

There is no set weaklink, as to what will break first. I would throw the slicks on, have about $1,000 sitting in the bank, and then take it to the track to see what happens. The 1,000 should cover anything that breaks.

A good starting point would be differential bushings and trailing arms. Subframe connectors don't do much to these cars, it isn't an f-body.
__________________
Bragging about a car that you paid someone to pick the parts and install them for you, is like paying someone to bang your wife, and then bragging about the kid.
"I'm sorry officer, no, I do not know why you pulled me over."
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,570
Front driveshaft bolts for sure! I'm on my third set.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
RobRiot88
 
RobRiot88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 202
wow well thanks. my friends have been sayin the same thing. get sum tires and go see what breaks. really? subframe connectors dont do much for wheelhop? i was looking at pfadts subframe bushings.
__________________
RobRiot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,570
I have all the BMR stuff. Have a look at there stuff before you leap.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
early tr6060 models have an issue with the output shaft

clutch.. depending on power levels

trailing arms have been known to bend/break

halfshafts have been known to break

heard of a quite a few blowing the stock differential, even without 4.10's.

It's different for each car, on what breaks first. There are only two bias ply tires available for a 17" wheel. a 28x10" tall full slick from hoosier, or a 26x11.5 et street from mickey thompson. The mickey's are street legal, the hoosier's are not.

There is no set weaklink, as to what will break first. I would throw the slicks on, have about $1,000 sitting in the bank, and then take it to the track to see what happens. The 1,000 should cover anything that breaks.

A good starting point would be differential bushings and trailing arms. Subframe connectors don't do much to these cars, it isn't an f-body.
Love to try the 17" Hooiser's but the only 17" wheels are Bogarts and there big money.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Ivas
el Ruco
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Love to try the 17" Hooiser's but the only 17" wheels are Bogarts and there big money.
You can say that again brother.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiot88 View Post
thanks for the help. i was thinking about doing some bogart 17s with hoosiers. kinda like u supercharged ss. wut size tire shud i use? and im also going to do subframe bushing and a subframe connector to have a solid rearend. your opinion?


Danhr is the man! He knows what the deal is. Back in May, the only 17" slick I could find was a bias ply Hoosier, 28x10x17 and I had to get them direct from my Hoosier East supplier here in CT. And when I called they didn't even have a part number for them. I had to give them the one that I found. Not sure if there are any other options out there.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Love to try the 17" Hooiser's but the only 17" wheels are Bogarts and there big money.

Yeah but when you think about it...its the most important money youll spend. Its the link between the hp and the ground. Would you run a marathon is loafers? Hell no and if you did someone in the right footwear would go right by you. The first thing I did was get the right tires and its made all the difference in the world. Even if you have to save up, its worth it. Its funny to see all the 600 rwhp that can't get down the track. Figure 2k out the door for the setup I run and its the best $$$ Ive spent on the car.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
RobRiot88
 
RobRiot88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 202
i found these hoosier 315/35/17s for like 200 a tire at summit. its dot
__________________
RobRiot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.