Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
joe h

Drives: victory red 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
gas pouring from above the rear wheel, anyone else?

Had a finicky pump today, so I had to fill the car extra slow. Apparently I was too slow and the nozzle never kicked out. So I ended up with about a quart on the ground. What was strange however, most of the gas was coming from above the rear wheel. Just need to know if this is what suppose to happen or if I have a hose loose or detached.
joe h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
JSkibisky

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
... it's certainly worth checking for a loose hose, just in case. I think (and I apologize, because I haven't verified this, yet) that there may be a drain hole in the housing around the fuel filler to drain away any water that could collect in there. I would imagine that it would drain to the wheel well.
JSkibisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Not sure if this is what happened, but I believe that the fuel pocket actually has the ability to drain. This keeps water from building in the fule pocket which might become ice keeping you from being able to open the fuel door or cap.

I've had this happen on Corvettes many times. They are sensitive to being over filled. Once the pump clicks off you should not try to pump much more in or you get what you described.

But if it concerns you at all, take it to your dealer.

A simple check though is to (once the overfill odor is gone) smell around the wheel well to see if you can smell gas. If you had any kind of leak, I think the smell of gas would be detectable.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
I'd drive it for a couple days and see if you get a check engine light. The system is so sealed with the cap on, even the smallest of leaks will turn the light on. Every time you drive it, the system draws a vacuum and a sensor tells the ECM if the vacuum held. The slightest leak in the system and you will get a light.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Not sure if this is what happened, but I believe that the fuel pocket actually has the ability to drain. This keeps water from building in the fule pocket which might become ice keeping you from being able to open the fuel door or cap.

I would suspect this is your answer as there is a drain hole right below the gas cap in the back center of the pocket.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Don't use a match to light up the area under the wheel well!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote