Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 10-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Clunk in Passenger Axle, Please view video and post comments here.

We discovered this tonight and the passenger axle has alot of end play at the diff and a clunk.

Can anyone comment on this whether the axle is bad or the differential is shot.

Or if this amount of play is normal.

I am not a drive-line expert just trying very hard to identify why the hell our car vibrates above 80mph badly. This might be the root cause.

Here is the You Tube Link, Turn up the VOLUME LOUD to hear it.

Thanks Guys!
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
55Designs

Left dealer, checked brand new cars.

Other SS had the same movement but not as bad

the Lt RS on the floor had as much movement as our car.

Our 2010 CTS-V and 2008 BMW M5 have zero axle movement or noise and we beat the balls off both cars.

Strange I am waiting to hear from anyone who knows if this is normal play or not.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Cruz-lo

Drives: 2010 2ss RS
Mine do the same thing....

For me it has to do with the axle diameter as it fits into the bearing. everything has a tolerance....

I mesaured the axle stub diameters. My Stock axles with a few thousand miles on them.

Drivers side is 1.4148
Pass side is 1.4141

Aftermarket axles are even smaller. They move a lot compared to your video!!
Cruz-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
55Designs

Well after installing two GoPro HD cameras under the car today we found some interesting stuff.

The axles as they spin at the diff end are hopping like crazy, so the axles are bent or the inside of the diff is SHOT. The drivers side wobbles so much it looks like it wants to pop out.

I honestly do not know much about this to determine what actually is broken but I am sending the Youtube vids to a bunch of guys on the boards and to some vendors to ask for opinions.

For sure some PRICK at the body shop last year or the dealer dumped my clutch when the car was stock other than coilovers and drag radials and destroyed this. My car now has Zero wheel hop but i think the damage is done. We have never dumped the clutch or did any holeshots.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
That's the same noise I'm hearing. In the video, you're pushing up on the axle closest to the diff, right? Both of my axles have slop just like what is shown in the video. For me, DS clanking noise is loudest. Pass side is not as loud. Under driving conditions I'm hearing a clank on accel then decel. Did you find out anything else since your last post?

(For the sake of those that didn't see my earlier post, I have the DSS 1,400 hp axles... and will be setting up appt to have Ted Janetty check it out)
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
55Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
That's the same noise I'm hearing. In the video, you're pushing up on the axle closest to the diff, right? Both of my axles have slop just like what is shown in the video. For me, DS clanking noise is loudest. Pass side is not as loud. Under driving conditions I'm hearing a clank on accel then decel. Did you find out anything else since your last post?

(For the sake of those that didn't see my earlier post, I have the DSS 1,400 hp axles... and will be setting up appt to have Ted Janetty check it out)
MJ your welcome to shoot down to our shop and you will be amazed at the carnage we found. Both OEM axles and wheel bearing/hubs SHOT. Our car has had this bad vibration since last year and 600 miles on the odometer. Installed the DSS axles, new hub bearings, new driveshaft and its all good now. You should check your diff and also the fluid level. If something inside your diff is broken you will know it. You might have a bad CV on the axles.