Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Ok, everyone, I just finished washing the car with Dish Soap (twice), claying the car with Mothers Clay Bar and Mother's detailer spray. The spray needed to be buffed off by hand as it did become cloudy and cake onto the paint.

Paint was smooth, I did use the sandwich bag test. All smooth as glass. Then I used "Liquid Glass" sealant again, as my friend had excellent results with this sealant.

Think this will last me 6 months as advertised? I did NOT spray the hardened wax down with detail spray before buffing off, as there is no need. this stuff comes off easily.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #19
huskerwr38
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 57
hows the car looking so far?
huskerwr38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
It's been 2 days, the waxy silky feel is going fast and I already have water spots. It hasn't rained, but the morning leaves a mist on the car.

I don't get it, I washed with dish soap, I clayed with detail spray and I waxed. Car is still smooth but waxy feeling is failing.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,872
You probably need to wash it again and then go behind it with a detailers spray
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #22
DartSportDude
Black Mopar Addict
 
DartSportDude's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Challenger R/T, '73 Dart 340
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona
Posts: 25
As I'm sure you know, black is very unforgiving. I'm leery of a lot of the polishing products on the market today. I generally stick with basic wax and just try to keep the finish protected on a regular basis. At the end of the day, there's no substitute for diligence. It's the price of black car ownership.
__________________
DartSportDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #23
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
You probably need to wash it again and then go behind it with a detailers spray
I did!

The detail spray was used extensively while claying the car!!!

Can someone tell me why my WAX is coming off the paint, and it does t on my friends car? We used the SAME WAX! his car is silk smooth with wax to the touch, mine is grainy like sheet metal... The car is parked, I haven't driven it and there's no sprinklers!

What is going on?!
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I did!

The detail spray was used extensively while claying the car!!!

Can someone tell me why my WAX is coming off the paint, and it does t on my friends car? We used the SAME WAX! his car is silk smooth with wax to the touch, mine is grainy like sheet metal... The car is parked, I haven't driven it and there's no sprinklers!

What is going on?!
Relax man, it's a symptom of the elements. Tons of dirt and pollen etc stick to the paint. It happens. And we're not talking about using DS during claying- obviously that gets washed and polished off. You could use it directly following a normal wash. Put another coat of wax on. Above all, chill, you're going to give yourself an aneurysm at this rate.
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
louf
 
Drives: 07 sil 06 imp 04 cav 59 cad
Join Date: May 2009
Location: pierrefonds quebec
Posts: 31
many thing's to counsider ! what sort or water .well or city . just the fact you part under a tree will effect the the smoothnest or the finish
louf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #26
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
City water. On Long Island we do not have hard water.
Not parked under a tree. Rain is leaving stains on paint only 2 days after washing and waxing. Car is not smooth to the touch anymore.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
It's been 2 days, the waxy silky feel is going fast and I already have water spots. It hasn't rained, but the morning leaves a mist on the car.

I don't get it, I washed with dish soap, I clayed with detail spray and I waxed. Car is still smooth but waxy feeling is failing.
At this point, you should have realized something. You get what you pay for, period. Why do you think that a lot of detailing products that you DON'T see on the shelves cost as much as they do? Have you noticed that they ALL cost around the same amount? It's not about who's products I use, it's about using a quality product and using it correctly. I didn't chime in on this thread because your first post said that you didn't want to spend a lot of money. Once I saw your mindset, I moved on. However, you are now not satisfied and are questioning why. It's not rocket science, it's what you used.

You can't stick a card in your bicycle spokes and call it horsepower. There's a little bit more to it than that. Let me know when you want to get serious with your paint. I've got the red pill. All you have to do is take it.
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #28
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Yeah Junkman. I know. You've spoken to me a bit before, and you did an excellent job explaining to me why you have to do all or nothing.

(For what it's worth, Liquid glass is per oz more expensive than adam's buttery wax. Just some trivia there.)


Junkman, i ask you this because you are the god of detailing.

Why does this wax work perfectly on my friend's Mazda 6? I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous his car looks. You know that thread you made recently, where you detailed someones black camaro for him?
Well, not that good but... reasonably close to it.

2 men wax the same car with the same product the same day and one car stays waxy, and one does not??? At least tell me this is strange!
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #29
SNV

 
SNV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Ok, everyone, I just finished washing the car with Dish Soap (twice), claying the car with Mothers Clay Bar and Mother's detailer spray. The spray needed to be buffed off by hand as it did become cloudy and cake onto the paint.

Paint was smooth, I did use the sandwich bag test. All smooth as glass. Then I used "Liquid Glass" sealant again, as my friend had excellent results with this sealant.

Think this will last me 6 months as advertised? I did NOT spray the hardened wax down with detail spray before buffing off, as there is no need. this stuff comes off easily.
I always like Liquid Glass. I liked Liquid Crystal even more years ago.
Really sounds like you not having much luck. I know my IBM color is rough to keep clean too. I'm not a detail guy but was wondering after you clay barred it using the detail spray, Did you wash it again or put the polish right over the detail spay? Some things you can layer while others you can't. Right now I have a coat of Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. It's the Liquid not the paste. Finish looks great.
__________________
2010 IBM 1LT out. 2013 BRM 1LS in. It's like having a blank canvas once again. Modding has started! Now on to a 2014......
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Yeah Junkman. I know. You've spoken to me a bit before, and you did an excellent job explaining to me why you have to do all or nothing.

(For what it's worth, Liquid glass is per oz more expensive than adam's buttery wax. Just some trivia there.)


Junkman, i ask you this because you are the god of detailing.

Why does this wax work perfectly on my friend's Mazda 6? I can't even begin to tell you how gorgeous his car looks. You know that thread you made recently, where you detailed someones black camaro for him?
Well, not that good but... reasonably close to it.

2 men wax the same car with the same product the same day and one car stays waxy, and one does not??? At least tell me this is strange!
Not strange at all. Here's why.

You are talking about 2 different cars which have not been exposed to the same exact conditions. Thus, the paint on both cars is not in the same exact condition. This will cause whatever you use on the paint to perform in two different ways if the paint was not properly prepped. Also, you don't clay a car and then go straight to wax. That's like filling a dent with bondo and then going straight to paint. There's a very important step between the two and it is called primer (actually, there are a couple of steps but for simplicity...). As I say in every thread where someone uses wax and thinks that their paint is going to shine, you ain't going to remotely get the shine that I can get with polishing. You don't go from clay directly to wax without polishing. Wax does not make paint shine, polishing does. The end.

If you want to make your paint shine, you have got to polish it. Here are two different cars, exposed to two different elements. One is mine and gets exposed to all four seasons in Kentucky. The other is a friend's car, lives in southern California and is used as a track car. They are both the same color but I fixed the paint on both of them. Notice how good, two totally different cars with two totally different exposures can look when the paint on both cars is properly fixed. Neither car has wax on it.

My car:




... and my friend's car:



Notice he has California plates and the Pacific ocean. That's definitely not my car or Kentucky..

Now look at what his paint looked like before I fixed it:



See the difference in the shine between the two sides? I have polished all of the damage out of the paint on one half of the halo. If you don't think that all those swirls affect how your shine looks, you are mistaken. It has everything to do with how light is reflected off the car. It is either concentrated (as you see on my car), or scattered as you see on a swirled up car.

Here's his halo fixed:



It's easy to see how much better perfect paint looks compared to swirled up paint. If you want your paint to look like mine, you have to do to it what I did. You don't have to use exactly what I used but your technique has to be correct and what you use has to be of the same caliber or better than what I used. There's multiple products out there that will take you to Shinville but you ain't getting there without going through Polishville. You can fight it all you want but like I say in my videos,

"Yo' shine ain't gonna be nothing like my shine."
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #31
SNV

 
SNV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,299
Junkman2008 - I have always loved your knowledge and information that you have shared with us all. I guess the OP along with a few of us just find it hard to understand why our new cars seem to need so much more work to keep the shine there. It seems like years ago the new cars seemed to hold the shine better. I remember my 1975 Olds (was 20 years old then) cleaned up better and held a shine better then most of the new cars I have owned. I know times and paints have changed. We would have hoped they were for the better. Over the past 15 years my wife and I have owned around 10 new cars (yeah we get bored with them lol). It seems like my 1 year old Camaro needs a lot more effort to keep it looking great. Seems to be the biggest complaint people have with their Camaros has been the paint.
__________________
2010 IBM 1LT out. 2013 BRM 1LS in. It's like having a blank canvas once again. Modding has started! Now on to a 2014......
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #32
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
 
Junkman2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,759
Well let's face it. The technology in the advancement of automotive paint has changed but as far as being better is concerned, that can be debated. It has definitely improved in the area of safety, something that I wish my father could have benefited from before he passed with his lungs destroyed from the paint fumes. But let's face it, a car coming out of a factory today is painted by robots. A robot takes no pride in what it paints and it is only going to use the amount of paint dictated by the manufacturer. The manufacturers are using as little paint and clear coat as necessary to get the job done in order to squeeze a buck. So although one would think that technology has made things better, that can be debated and the advantage would probably not be to us, the consumer.

Shiny paint is a way of life, not a miracle in a bottle. You can almost look at shiny paint as what it takes to land the perfect wife. You can't just walk up and bonk her on the head and expect her to accept your ring. There's gonna be some work involved.

Now if she's into S&M....
__________________
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."


Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #33
WhiteCrane
 
WhiteCrane's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 395
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I just want to take a moment and say it's tragic to hear that about your dad.

Back on,
Which Adam's bundle would you tell me to buy if I don't care for shineville, I just want cleanville more than anything else.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #34
SNV

 
SNV's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Well let's face it. The technology in the advancement of automotive paint has changed but as far as being better is concerned, that can be debated. It has definitely improved in the area of safety, something that I wish my father could have benefited from before he passed with his lungs destroyed from the paint fumes. But let's face it, a car coming out of a factory today is painted by robots. A robot takes no pride in what it paints and it is only going to use the amount of paint dictated by the manufacturer. The manufacturers are using as little paint and clear coat as necessary to get the job done in order to squeeze a buck. So although one would think that technology has made things better, that can be debated and the advantage would probably not be to us, the consumer.

Shiny paint is a way of life, not a miracle in a bottle. You can almost look at shiny paint as what it takes to land the perfect wife. You can't just walk up and bonk her on the head and expect her to accept your ring. There's gonna be some work involved.

Now if she's into S&M....
Sad to hear about your dad. I know from a health point paints are better then they were. I work for International / Interlux Paints for around 12 years. We made paints from everything from boats to oil tankers, coal tar, bridge paints, and so on. The stuff put into them was really bad. Around 30% of our stuff could not be sold in the US. I remember in a 5 month span 8 people had heart attacks. My wife would smell the chemicals on me still over the weekends. She begged me to leave that place. Our paints change a lot over the years with all the new laws. Most of the paints before the changes lasted a lot longer. So I understand where your coming from. I think besides the paint the clear coat isn't what it once was.
__________________
2010 IBM 1LT out. 2013 BRM 1LS in. It's like having a blank canvas once again. Modding has started! Now on to a 2014......
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone have their front end replaced and/or repainted??? Paint issue inside... marcao 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 42 07-20-2010 06:57 AM
Removing Swirl Marks using a Flex and Meguiars M105/M205 Angelo@Autopia Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 5 05-22-2010 11:36 PM
Adam's Polish & Car care Products Charlie@STILLEN Wash/Wax/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts 50 04-01-2010 04:28 PM
Claybar Cleaner and Extender Angelo@Autopia Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 15 02-02-2010 12:37 PM
Ontario (Canada) Highway Traffic Act.. read so you dont lose your car sigma_1966 Canada 10 08-11-2009 06:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.