Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Ordering 2010 Camaros in Northern New Jersey

I'm new to this forum but hopefully this information is helpful to those in New Jersey. I spoke with about 5 dealerships in my area and had tremendous difficulty trying to obtain information about what GM was doing about the fate of the convertible models and even the V8 models.

I actually had to go to a few of these dealerships in person to almost oversee that they were researching accurate information. They called the GM Corporate office on the spot. I read the Motortrend.com report on the indefinite hold on all Camaro convertibles and I freaked out, so that was my first question.

Some dealerships said everything was stamped and ready to go because GM was already bailed out. Convertibles should show up by June 2009. Other dealerships stated that they might not show to 2011. I couldn't make heads of tails of this and neither could they. It was no surprise that the Great American Chevrolet in Hackensack had a showroom loaded with Avalanches and Tahoes and not a single customer inside. Not only is GM mishandling money, but their communication with what is going on with the Z06's and Camaros is absolutely embarassing. Do or do not, there is no try and stop making us wait!

Anyway, the sales manager stated that only guaranteed orders of Camaro coupes were for V6's only and that the actual release date of the V8's isn't set in place yet. They were telling me September of 2009, but how can they release the V6 and not have the V8 ready at the same time. Customers want options, not participate in a sales experiment.

Oh, and what I thought was hilarious is that even a fully souped up 2SS coupe could max out at about $33,000.00 MSRP but because of mark-ups from dealerships, it would likely add between $5000.00 and $6000.00!! What the hell is this crap? A non convertible, non Z28 model costing as much as a base 2009 Corvette?! Are they insane? This is my first time jumping onto the new performance car foray, for all I've owned previously were used V6's. It's bad enough I've waited patiently for 16 years to start my business and become somewhat successful to afford a real, gorgeous V8 sports car like a Camaro Convertible, and now GM is practically taking that away from me. Then they add insult to injury by saying that dealership markups that high are going to be common. Give me a break. I love Chevrolet, but really, this company doesn't know it's elbow from it's ass when it comes to management....in any form. Hopefully some of this info helps! *Crossing Fingers*

-Carl-

Last edited by DkknightX; 12-30-2008 at 12:08 AM.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Convertible is on hold for the time being. At least 2010, possibly 2011 til they're available.

v8s and v6s are available for order now. Both will begin production February 16th unless something else happens.

I'm counting 3 NJ dealers selling at MSRP (or less)

Yea, some dealers are morons but GM can only offer them the information, they can't force them to learn/read it. GM cannot legally control what, if any, markups the dealer adds. If a salesman is giving you the runaround, ask to speak to the manager. If they give you the runaround, go somewhere else.

My advice, either go to one of the dealers on that list or wait out the initial rush. If your heart is set on a convertible, you'll have to wait a bit more and noone, not even GM, knows how long that will be. I'm sure they have a target but that hasn't, won't, and shouldn't be shared with anyone at this time.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Thanks man, I appreciate it, but what do you think the best thing to do would be if i wanted to get a V8 coupe (2SS) at MSRP if possible, and be guaranteed a car at the intial launch? Should I plop down $2000.00 right now if I can find a dealer selling at MSRP? Hawthorne Chevy asked me to wait 30 days before the launch of the car to order. Isn't that a bit late? Thanks for taking the time out to help me! Much appreciated!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Call the three dealers in the list I posted previously. If they have any of their allotment left, go with them (or another dealer you can convince to stick to MSRP).

I'm guessing Hawthorne wanted more than MSRP? Did they say why they wanted you to wait? Sounds shady to me.

No matter what you do, you're not going to get one "at launch" at this point (outside of paying some dealer with all of their allotment left way over MSRP). I think it's safe to say that every dealer selling at MSRP or less already has cars on order and therefore you're going to have to wait a bit. It's anybody's guess how long that'll be and it depends heavily on where you are in their list and how many they have allotted total.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Barry626

Drives: 2012 Audi A6
Just go to another dealer that will sell @ MSRP.
All u need is $500.00 - $1,000.00 down payment. I did $500 no problem.
After they write up order be sure they sign it, Sales Manager, etc.
Once they place the order in the system 2-5 days tell them u want copy of "Workbence Order Sheet".
That will have your 6 digit order # & the rest will be you waiting till end of March to April?

Good Luck!
Barry626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
UCF w00t
Geek

I know not all dealers do it this way but mine put the order in right in front of me and printed the order sheet out right after. I would shoot for them to put it in while you're there.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Did you order the 1SS or 2SS? Thanks for being so helpful!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 AM   #8
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
This has not changed in 30 years. I went thru the same bull when the 25th CORVETTE
Anniversary / Pace cars were in big demand. Most dealers had no idea what was happening and rather than admit it, they tell all kinds of crap. When I found one who realized I knew what he knew we became good friends till he retired and sold the dealership. Then I started all over again.

Most of GM'S problems is they send customers into the arms of well trained Honda /Toyota dealerships who actually know their product. Then it is really hard to get them back. That is how they lost so much market share.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
fixxer56
Thin Blue Line

Drives: ABM 2LT/RS #10094
Send a message via AIM to fixxer56
I agree with the information of getting your number that day and time you are in the dealership. I did the night I ordered and the day I changed my order. Call your locals and see if they'd take $500-$1000 deposit. I did and two locals were as high as $2000, and one never even called me back. I drove further to get the deal I want. I don't need this car, but I am Camaro fan and want the car to enjoy my mid life crisis(LOL). This should be an enjoyable process for you.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm on the other half of NJ (Southern) and found 2 or 3 dealers selling at MSRP. I don't know what, if any, allotment they have left now though.

I have a $1000 deposit in on mine.

Regarding your statement- "Oh, and what I thought was hilarious is that even a fully souped up 2SS coupe could max out at about $33,000.00 MSRP..."

My 2SS w/Auto, Sunroof and RS Package is over $37,000. $33,000 is far from the maxed out price of a 2SS.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
ponycrusher21

Drives: the passenger seat
the dealer in my town is very small. i live in tn. sorry i didnt make any sense

Ponycrusher 21
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Apparently the dealerships are only selling the V6 models and there is no release date on the availability on the V8 models. What the hell is going on here?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #13
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Apparently the dealerships are only selling the V6 models and there is no release date on the availability on the V8 models. What the hell is going on here?
Tell them they're wrong and to either check chevylaunch.com or even www.chevy.com/camaro . Don't allow them to feed you the BS. I have no clue why they would do that but maybe they already have several SS's on order and want to get them to their customers as quick as possible? From their point of view, the only thing different between an SS and LS/LT is the price.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
Quote:
That's funny since my OrderWORKBENCH printout (with confirmation number) from October 13th clearly states 2SS on it (and RS package and and and...)
trm0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Quote:
Yeah, lots of people on here have ordered the V8, including myself. My dealer had no problem putting it in. I would find another dealer that knows what they are doing. My dealer actually put one guy in charge of taking all Camaro pre-orders. That way, everyone coming in gets the same story until they are officially launched and sitting in showrooms (then any salesperson at the dealer can sell one).
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
DkknightX
Account Suspended

I spoke with a very informed gentleman at Kelle Chevrolet (John VanBrunt), and he really fleshed a lot of this out. The way he explained it was that even though many preorders for the SS models were taken, it basically means nothing because production of the cars hasn't even started yet on the V8's. The other obstacle in play here are the options and preferences. Somehow they have to be approved as well. Not entirely sure what that means.

Anyway, he made one more great point that I can agree with. Most of what GM is doing now is really working on "completing" cars insteadof just rushing them out of the showroom half-assed. The new Malibus, Silverados, and even my 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged can really atest to GM's now refocused attention to quality and workmanship. If that is the same approach GM took with the new Camaros, I really won't feel so bad waiting a little longer, but in all honesty, GM had plenty of time to refine and tune this vehicle and more importantly....I want mine NOW!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #17
UCF w00t
Geek

Still not sure what they are saying. Did they let you order? How much of their allotment did they have left?

Production hasn't started on ANY of the models. When it comes to ordering, there really is no difference between the v6 and v8. If GM does have some sort of constraint or delay with the SS models, it's not been announced (most likey because it doesn't exist).

You can see for yourself which options are available with which models with this workbook. It really can't get any more detailed than that.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #18
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE BRM
Sounds like you need to go somewhere else and catch up on alot of reading here. Its funny that you mention the dealer doesnt know squat but its also apparent you kinda dont either. So read away and inform yourself, all the info you need is here.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote