Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Gaming Lounge For all the gamers out there - consoles, PC, etc.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Your thoughts on DLC?

So I have a question for everyone. How do you feel about DLC? I was pretty much always against paying for it. Maybe it's because of my PC days when people would just make new maps and give them away or when I would buy an expansion pack for C&C for $20-30 but it had several single player missions as well as new units and maps for multi player. Now it seems like stuff is deliberately being left out of games so they can whack us later. I paid for three DLC's this year. The map packs for MW2 and the first one for Transformers:WFC. I have somewhat enjoyed the MW2 ones but my brother only got the first pack and my best friend only recently got the game so when I play it's rarely on those maps. As for TF:WFC that game is pretty much broken and the list of players is dismal. I refused to buy the second map pack and what sucks is once you hook up with a group if they have it and the game jumps to a map you don't have you get booted. I have decided from this point on no more DLC for me. I refuse to put up with their crap anymore. I never liked it and I still don't. Your thoughts?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Kind of varies for me. It bugs me to pay for nothing more than maps. However I don't mind paying $10 for something like a Mass Effect 2 DLC where they have to write up some content.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Big Brunsy

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
Kind of varies for me. It bugs me to pay for nothing more than maps. However I don't mind paying $10 for something like a Mass Effect 2 DLC where they have to write up some content.
I've spent alot of money on DLC for RPG's. The only map packs I've ever purchased were for GOW 1 & 2 (and one of em was even free)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Depends what you're getting. The first Uncharted 2 one was 2 multiplayer maps for like 5 bucks, and they were good maps too so that wasn't bad.

Basically if I'm paying for it it better be worth my money, because more than likely I can get this game in the bargain bin for 10 bucks next year.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Jay_LHD3

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
I quit playing Ace Combat 6 after I found out that they wanted to charge $5 per plane skin and the lobby setup sucked. Each week they were releasing three new skins.

What is worse is paying for DLC that is already on the disk.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
CJ Man
Missing my SS :(

Drives: 2012 Ford Explorer [ :( ]
It depends, if it's a brand new game and a dlc is coming out next month with two new levels that take place before the last level of the game (I am looking at you assasins creed 2) then I hate it. Just make a complete game.

If it is a game that's been out a couple of months and they add new content to add to the experience then I am for it.
CJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Entaille

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
it depends on what you are getting. some content is worth money. it costs money to create, so it should cost money to obtain it. I am ok with it, but I've been burnt on it a few times.

unless it's playermade / experimental like a lot of things were in the late 90s/early 2000s for PC games, I don't see us getting a lot of free stuff anymore.

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
it depends on what you are getting. some content is worth money. it costs money to create, so it should cost money to obtain it. I am ok with it, but I've been burnt on it a few times.

unless it's playermade / experimental like a lot of things were in the late 90s/early 2000s for PC games, I don't see us getting a lot of free stuff anymore.
I'm ok with not getting free stuff. What bothers me is the recent trend towards making us pay twice. Like what EA sports is doing with it's new games. Each game comes with a code to access multi player. If you buy the game used or bring it to a friends house you will have to pay $10 for another code. That is Also a lot of games are shipping with the DLC on the disc and the codes just unlock it. Again Some DLC is definitely still worth it but the way things are moving they are trying to find new ways to milk the cow.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
gHoSt437

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS
I've spent allot of money on DLC over the last few years. For the campaign if its something that can add to a games story like Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den I thinks its well worth it for the story and few extra hours of play. Now crap like the Jedi Temple from SW: Force Unleashed that I paid $10 for and ran through in 30 min is uncalled for.

I don't really do much multi-player but think if its 5 or less maps it should be free and offered as a patch. If its like 10+ maps that the developer spent quite a bit of time on then I can see charging for it.

Though allot of developers try to make this content free but certain companies (cough...cough...Microsoft) insist on charging the customer for it. Epic went through that crap trying to give us free Gears of War maps a few years ago. Valve recently expressed how displeased they where with Microsoft for pretty much ruining Team Fortress 2's experience on the 360 by wanting to charge for updated content while the PC version is light years ahead from free content.

This doesn't mean I won't buy DLC, but I'm more selective. Plus allot of times if you wait DLC goes on sale and you can get things you may have an interest in pretty cheap. I picked up the 2 campaign add-on's with the extra costumes for Resident Evil 5 for $5 about a month ago...better than paying $15-20 when it came out.
gHoSt437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Ya, i'd say it depends on cost/product. Normally I skip DLC due to my A.D.D., hahhaha. I usually move on from a game before DLC is available.

Like COD MW2, I cant see spending that money on 5 maps, 1-2 of them where old from COD4... stupid.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
I'm for pay-DLC only if it's either a significant expansion (IE the Fallout DLCs) or adds new features that enhance the gameplay experience.

If they're charging for nose art, a costume, a map, or a gun.. they can shove all that where the sun doesn't shine.

IMO pay-DLC should only be a 'game changer' to use the buzz word as a pun and thus worth paying for. Otherwise put it on the disc or offer it for free. Unfortunately they know they can make a buck off of reskinning a "Special Edition" M60 for COD/MOH/BC.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Archias
Corvette Canine

Drives: Black 2008 Corvette M6
As a longtime PC player Im beginning to miss the days of true expansions, ala Elder Scrolls Bloodmoon and Half Life OpFor. It seems like more and more DLCs these days are either geared toward the multiplayer crowd or add simple aesthetic crap or god items to a singleplayer game. I WANT CONTENT.

ED: Fallout DLCs were good, all in all Bethesda has a good track record for adding real content to their games via expansion.

Last edited by Archias; 10-18-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Missed point!
Archias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
I just wanted to add that I'd pay something for maps, but not $10. $10 is the same as fullblown content in some other games. Maybe like $1 per map is enough to recognize the time of the guy who made it. I'd pay a $1 for some funky DLC weapon if it made a big enough pretty boom. 580pts for a mediocre armor pack seems craptacular.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
lafountain

Drives: 1995 3.8L Camaro
I don't mind DLC. The only thing that annoys me is that there are people who go through the effort and stuff to preorder to get special items just to have those items become available as DLC. If I preorder, that should be the only way to get it. Have DLC still for the games, but don't make it the same stuff that was made available for pre-ordering of the game.

Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote