Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 AM   #101
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Glad to see you got to spend a few moments with your new born SON........Treat him well and he will grant you with the same kindness.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #102
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Congrats on the new addition to your family. Its a boy huh and already goin under the knife (these kids now a days with all their plastic surgery) lol. The future motor work sounds good too, I say do it (where is my cigar?).
andredmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #103
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Congratulations Orange Krate !!

Glad you have your newborn with you.

One item that you may (or may not) know about is that the computer operates based on input, therefore to get optimal performance you may want/need to drive you new baby pretty aggressively right from the start. Members that did not complained of poor performance, other members ...uh, yeah, other members ran their cars hard right off the lot and the performance was impressive.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #104
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post

One item that you may (or may not) know about is that the computer operates based on input, therefore to get optimal performance you may want/need to drive you new baby pretty aggressively right from the start. Members that did not complained of poor performance, other members ...uh, yeah, other members ran their cars hard right off the lot and the performance was impressive.

Awesome pics 'Krate! Looking forward to seeing it with the body kit installed!
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #105
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
CONGRATULATIONS!!! She's a gorgeous car. Can't wait to see more pics. Great color choice!!!
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #106
aarpdlnkqnt

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6AT Summit White Camaro
And ghost flames, painted by the dealer? OMG! They must have some pretty sharp painters out there!
aarpdlnkqnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #107
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarpdlnkqnt View Post
And ghost flames, painted by the dealer? OMG! They must have some pretty sharp painters out there!
No Ghost flames and no dealer painting graphics...

They will be GHOST stripes... not so obvious stripes because they will be done in an orange/gold pearl. I am looking at various painters now and have found a custom painter in San Fernando who has an impeccable reputation and over 30 years experience in same location. In fact I use to deliver sheet metal parts to him over 30 years ago when I worked for a Chevy dealership for a year.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #108
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

GFX painted and drying tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unique4U View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! She's a gorgeous car. Can't wait to see more pics. Great color choice!!!
Thanks 2Unique4U/Blake! I love the IOM the minute I saw it. BTW... here are two more photos to add to my documentation collection. The salesman, Dave, has been running out and snapping pics for me since I am at work trying to make a buck to pay for Orange Krate's enhancements!

This is a shot of the base coat after the primer, and then the clear coat. This was shot in the heated booth. These puppies should be ready to hang on the car tomorrow. We shall see. A trip to the Credit Union tomorrow, a cut check, and this baby is in my GARAGE and home to Daddy!!! Whose your Daddy!

Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #109
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:

Thanks Speedster!! Being the old paramedic that I am, and fireman that I once was... I fully understand where this is going! LOL I keep trying to tell my wife about the movie "Vanishing Point" (A Mopar owner's dream) but she is too young to remember that movie!!! I am going to rent it and let her watch it AFTER Orange Krate comes home! I can hear her now... "GREAT!!!!" (In a sarcastic tone) My reply..."It is better to burn out then to rust out."

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #110
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Thanks Speedster!! Being the old paramedic that I am, and fireman that I once was... I fully understand where this is going! LOL I keep trying to tell my wife about the movie "Vanishing Point" (A Mopar owner's dream) but she is too young to remember that movie!!! I am going to rent it and let her watch it AFTER Orange Krate comes home! I can hear her now... "GREAT!!!!" (In a sarcastic tone) My reply..."It is better to burn out then to rust out."

Oh yeah - Vanishing Point. Good flick. Some other good ones - Bullit, Gumball Rally, Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry, LeMans, Gone in 60 Seconds...
and the new feature film "Orange Krate takes Simi Valley"
Old 12-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #111
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Oh yeah - Vanishing Point. Good flick. Some other good ones - Bullit, Gumball Rally, Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry, LeMans, Gone in 60 Seconds...
and the new feature film "Orange Krate takes Simi Valley"

HA HA... Buy line..."Leaving seeds and juice wherever he goes!!!"

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #112
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Thanks 2Unique4U/Blake! I love the IOM the minute I saw it. BTW... here are two more photos to add to my documentation collection. The salesman, Dave, has been running out and snapping pics for me since I am at work trying to make a buck to pay for Orange Krate's enhancements!

This is a shot of the base coat after the primer, and then the clear coat. This was shot in the heated booth. These puppies should be ready to hang on the car tomorrow. We shall see. A trip to the Credit Union tomorrow, a cut check, and this baby is in my GARAGE and home to Daddy!!! Whose your Daddy!

Jealous I am! I can't wait till I get the ground effects package
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #113
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

PERFECT WEATHER HERE IN SO CAL

If ever there is going to be a winter day to pick up Orange Krate...the next couple of days would be it!
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #114
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Onstar Setup... a fun experience!

So my salesman Dave and I go to the back bodyshop lot where Orange Krate awaits the new GFX installation. He says "lets setup your Onstar account".

I had Onstar before in my Trailblazer so I know the drill. He pushes the call button and we get this cute little pixie on there by the name of Natasha. Well Dave and I are older guys so immediately we start chuckling and looking at one another. Dave says... "Where are you at Natasha?"

"Ontario, Canada."

The chuckling breaks out a bit louder as we look at each other. So I say "Are you Russian."

She says, much to my surprise, "Yes. Why do you ask?"

I say "Do you know who Bullwinkle is?"

Mind you Dave and I are laughing and she has an infectious laugh and is literally chattering like a squirrel. It goes down hill when I ask her if she knows Rocket J. Squirrel.

She is WAY too young to know these cartoon characters. But she says she has heard of them. I asked her if she knows Boris Badanov and she says no. More laughter. We somehow are managing to get the Onstar programmed...when I randomly cut loose with my Bullwinkle impression and Dave absolutely loses it. So now my salesman is gasping for air and Natasha is barely audible because she is laughing so hard.

It is a good thing we never got to Dudley Do-Right of the Mounties! We wrapped up the deal, I bought my 300 minutes of Onstar and I am good to go!

At the end of the call she says that Dave and I had just made her night and we were one of the funnest calls she has had at Onstar! Apparently not much going on at Onstar!

This is yet just more example of a fine Canadian individual who can have some fun while doing a great job! Just like our friends up at Oshawa. Thank you for calling Onstar!
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Orange Krate; 12-10-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #115
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Interesting... Code 6000

I haven't yet officially picked up Orange Krate at the dealer but I have signed a contract with no exchange of money taking place as of yet. I hope to make that happen today if the car is completed at the body shop with the painted GFX etc. I have screen captures for the CamaroTracking.com and Chevy Connects site. See below.
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #116
macc24

Drives: IOM w/racing stripes black matte
great story

Great story. I've been IOM'ing around now for 3 months and know this car will be around for a long time. Continued success and fun as you blend into every sunrise and sunset.

PS - Between the color and power you'll find merging on any freeway is not a problem.
macc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #117
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

THANKS MACC24!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc24 View Post
Great story. I've been IOM'ing around now for 3 months and know this car will be around for a long time. Continued success and fun as you blend into every sunrise and sunset.

PS - Between the color and power you'll find merging on any freeway is not a problem.
I think the color and power are superb. We are late in our trees turning colors here and I hope to get a shot of her with the trees on fire with the fall/winter reds and oranges! Quickly we are moving to wet season...fortunately no snow. I now have a HONEY DO list a mile long thanks to my wonderful wonderful lady who is being very supportive of this endeavor. She has NO CLUE how awesome this car is yet, other than it is a "pretty" car. I chuckle when I think of what she will feel like when she gets a real ride. She liked my 500 HP '23 T-Bucket. She even drove it around town one night with one of her friends!!! That was one cool night. Of course I followed in my vehicle to make sure she wasn't accosted! When she drives Orange Krate I think she will love him and want her own flavor! Perhaps an Apple Krate or Lemon Peeler?

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Orange Krate; 12-10-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #118
BWProductions
StormTrooper

Drives: SW 2SS/RS Vert with Beige top soon
After seeing the ground effects painted, I am really excited to see what it will look like, CONGRATS!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #119
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

GFX Painting on Orange Krate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWProductions View Post
After seeing the ground effects painted, I am really excited to see what it will look like, CONGRATS!!!!
I stopped by the dealer body shop and their work is looking superb! Rather than mask stuff they did it right and took pieces apart and painted every nook and cranny.

They sanded and sealed, flex agents used, IOM base and the clear coat looks 1/8 deep. Thus far it appears first class. The body shop owner is a hot rod and street rod owner and he pays attention to detail. He loves Orange Krate so it is being done under his direct supervision. It is the first IOM they have had roll through their bodyshop facility.

The GFX are an interesting process in that they come shipped in a box with the plain gray plastic color. The rear valance has the chrome bezels for the exhaust. Those come off for painting and then there are new chrome cones that actually hammer on over the existing exhaust pipes after they cut the pipes down to size to fit the new valance openings.

Orange Krate also gets the billet aluminum fuel door, painted engine cover, and the cargo net.

All the details are just about complete short of handing the dealer the check and taking the keys and hitting the road! So so very close.The day is clicking away and I hope to get a few decent photos but...may have to wait until tomorrow.

The question remains as to whether I get all of these leftover pieces??? Engine Cover, Rear Valance...??? I am going to ask for sure. Looking ahead to the pearl gold striping to be done over in the San Fernando Valley.

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Orange Krate; 12-10-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #120
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Ok, read this whole thread.

I'm glad I didn't read it til now.

I would have been on pins and needles as well. lol You really create excitement in your posts. Awesome read.

The Orange Krate story is really cool. I too was chasing a lost dream from my younger days. Not as far back as the bicycle story, but cetainly your first Camaro. Me? I bought a 1973 Z-28 in 1986 and I LOVED that ragged out POS.

Congrats, and I can't wait to see the final product.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #121
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Ok, read this whole thread.

I'm glad I didn't read it til now.

I would have been on pins and needles as well. lol You really create excitement in your posts. Awesome read.

The Orange Krate story is really cool. I too was chasing a lost dream from my younger days. Not as far back as the bicycle story, but cetainly your first Camaro. Me? I bought a 1973 Z-28 in 1986 and I LOVED that ragged out POS.

Congrats, and I can't wait to see the final product.
Thanks PQ! These are exciting times. I am truly splurging in a time when perhaps one should be really frugal. But...I am not getting any younger! It is going to be a pleasant break from the tasks at work! Thanks for reading my journal and stopping by and commenting. I will post plenty more as Orange Krate comes on the scene!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #122
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
Congrats Orange Krate...cant wait for your explosion into the Camaro Owners world now...lol
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #123
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
Congrats Orange Krate...cant wait for your explosion into the Camaro Owners world now...lol
Thanks 2010 SS RS! Let's just call this re-immersion therapy! HA HA HA
32 years later and that young man who has matured like a good bottle of Jack Daniels, is ready to feel a little bit of the road again Camaro style! I can easily flashback in my mind to a time when I cruised my first Orange Krate Camaro at 140mph on a long wide and open straight away not too far from here. Too many cars around these days to do that. Cheers to the "good ol' days, and to the new Gen 5 that is "not your Dad's Camaro"!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #124
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
Quote:

The question remains as to whether I get all of these leftover pieces??? Engine Cover, Rear Valance...??? I am going to ask for sure. Looking ahead to the pearl gold striping to be done over in the San Fernando Valley.
You should get all these pieces. They are yours. You paid good money for them.

Can't wait to see Orange Crate!
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #125
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

This novel is turning into "War and Peace". So Orange Krate is now paid for, the paperwork almost done (wife needs to sign final docs and she is working!!!). I need to finish cleaning Orange Krate's nursery (still!) and the body shop is closed on Saturday and Sunday so the last two things (fuel door changeout and engine cover changeout) have not occured. I could do both of these no problem but it is part of the contract and warranty so let them do it right? Let nature take its course. But here is a sneak peek of the painted license plate bracket that I fretted about. I think it turned out halfway decent considering the black monstrocity it was before. Darn California license plate law! Fully understood why but heck with it. It will take me about a NY second to remove that hideous sales plate and bracket and replace it with an Orange Krate approved accoutrement.
Attached Images

Simi Valley, CA