Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
WootyMcBooty

Drives: 2003 Black Lincoln LS V8
Hey Folks!

Hows it all goin guys? I'm pretty close to ordering a Camaro so I figured it was high time I joined a forum.

I used to be a Challenger guy... Until I drove one. I realized that my issue with the Challenger was that while I loved the exterior looks; the interior was blah, and it handled like a wet noodle. No steering feedback what-so-ever and the lightest pedals I've ever encountered. I wanted more speed but also I wanted to keep the responsive handling and sportiness of my Lincoln LS (har har, sporty Lincoln, but really folks, it was built as a BMW fighter and it does a great damn job). First I looked at the G8 GXP, and the New Mustang but neither really capture my imagination in the way the Challenger did. Then one day I was talking to a friend about it and he said... why not just get a Camaro? I looked into it some more and realized... The interior in the 2ss is awesome. The exterior is badass. And the performance will be equal to if not better than the g8 gxp. (relatively the same platform, suspension set up, less weight, shorter wheelbase) and all of this comes in for 4 grand cheaper than a GXP.

So I think I have figured out my order thus far and plan on putting down a payment sometime in the next week.

Cyber Grey Metallic (my friend has driven a CGM and says its just gorgeous, don't bother asking who he is, lets just say he is about as well connected as you can get)

2ss Black Interior
RS Package
Manual

So I ask you guys, if I order within a week. Roughly... when can I expect delivery of this car? I was hoping June. But who knows... I know it took guys over at Challengertalk around 4 months each to get SRT-8's, but this car is a whole lot more popular.

And what is the Hurst Short throw shifter and why would I want it?
WootyMcBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Hurst short throw shifter allows you to shift faster.
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
hey welcome to the site! good choice on buying a camaro... it'll definately out handle the srt8, and i think it may just be faster as well. i ordered the hurst short throw cause its only about $500. real quick shifts my friend.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
DeathChill

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
I was also a Challenger guy and was literally ready to order one; However, I got interested in the Camaro because I can get more horsepower for the same (or less, actually) price.

I haven't made a final decision as I really love the Challenger styling but the Camaro is quite nice as well. Interior is hands down the Camaro and performance is the Camaro as well (as far as I can tell at this point). The only thing really swaying me is the little things in the Challenger that I don't think the Camaro has.
DeathChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
welcome to the site i only wish i was your friend in that CGM!

i think the 2SS interior is so much better than anything the challenger has to offer. on top of that, you're getting the camaro for much less!

as far as delivery, you could probably expect sometime around may-june considering there's already over 10000 pre-orders to make.

the Hurst shifter would be a great addition if you plan on doing some aggressive shifting. it shortens the throw (makes the shifting movements smaller) and therefore allows you to shift a little faster. the less time you spend in neutral, the quicker you'll get to the end of the track!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
Welcome. I think everyone answered your questions, but let me add this note. Check out the advanced search option and put in hurst shifter and order delivery. There are a few threads that have some great discussions about these two points.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
leatherneck

Drives: yellow/bl. hood stripes-ss/rs
hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootyMcBooty View Post
Hows it all goin guys? I'm pretty close to ordering a Camaro so I figured it was high time I joined a forum.

I used to be a Challenger guy... Until I drove one. I realized that my issue with the Challenger was that while I loved the exterior looks; the interior was blah, and it handled like a wet noodle. No steering feedback what-so-ever and the lightest pedals I've ever encountered. I wanted more speed but also I wanted to keep the responsive handling and sportiness of my Lincoln LS (har har, sporty Lincoln, but really folks, it was built as a BMW fighter and it does a great damn job). First I looked at the G8 GXP, and the New Mustang but neither really capture my imagination in the way the Challenger did. Then one day I was talking to a friend about it and he said... why not just get a Camaro? I looked into it some more and realized... The interior in the 2ss is awesome. The exterior is badass. And the performance will be equal to if not better than the g8 gxp. (relatively the same platform, suspension set up, less weight, shorter wheelbase) and all of this comes in for 4 grand cheaper than a GXP.

So I think I have figured out my order thus far and plan on putting down a payment sometime in the next week.

Cyber Grey Metallic (my friend has driven a CGM and says its just gorgeous, don't bother asking who he is, lets just say he is about as well connected as you can get)

2ss Black Interior
RS Package
Manual

So I ask you guys, if I order within a week. Roughly... when can I expect delivery of this car? I was hoping June. But who knows... I know it took guys over at Challengertalk around 4 months each to get SRT-8's, but this car is a whole lot more popular.

And what is the Hurst Short throw shifter and why would I want it?

Im the nutty old ormer marine of the site all the other marines here are stll coherant--------welcome to the site
leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
That name is Zooty, McBooty!

Hurst short throw? Funny you should ask, I was just looking at GMPP:

Short-Throw Shifter
A greater feeling of control comes with a precise, quick-acting
shifter. GM Performance Parts’ short-throw shifter kits for both V-6
and V-8 models deliver sharper and quicker throws between gears,
enabling you to keep the engine’s revs right where you want them
for optimal performance.
We worked with legendary shifter manufacturer Hurst® to develop
the kits, so they complement great performance with classic styling.
The kits include all necessary hardware and detailed instructions.

92214389 V-6 Short-Throw Shifter Kit (not shown)

92214388 V-8 (LS3) Short-Throw Shifter Kit

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r...09_Catalog.pdf

Availability? No one knows for sure. Plant max output is 100K per year. That's 8000 a month. They will be starting off slowly, and ramping up on a day by day basis.

10,000 are on order now. If they make half max production - 4000 a month, that would be 2.5 months worth now in queue.

Throw in a million variables, recession causing turmoil for the entire auto industry, SS - LT order/production mix differences, etc.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
teamlynn1
Mr. Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Tahoe Z71, 2009 Silverado
Welcome to the site, I orderd the exact config you are asking about. CGM with black guts 2SS RS 6spd Black stripes, GFX, HSS. NO sunroof! Good choice.

Bobby Lynn
GM Burien Chevrolet
www.burienchevrolet.com
206-243-5800 ext 151

teamlynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
nathlo
Confirmed Ordering Member

Drives: 2004 Cavalier & Ordered 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChill View Post
I haven't made a final decision as I really love the Challenger styling but the Camaro is quite nice as well. Interior is hands down the Camaro and performance is the Camaro as well (as far as I can tell at this point). The only thing really swaying me is the little things in the Challenger that I don't think the Camaro has.
Little things like what? I mean, besides a navigation system option I don't see much that the Camaro lacks vs. the Challenger. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
WOW! Freakin awesome, thar car's so fast it rips the bodywork off!- my kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamCamaro View Post
There just is not any other car in the market and my price range that I want other than the Camaro. I'm happily stuck with my choice.

nathlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Welcome to the site, but is it just me or could'nt you have asked the guy thats "as well conected as you can get."? Not being mean but just wondering. Thats the one I would have asked...
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
WootyMcBooty

Drives: 2003 Black Lincoln LS V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
Welcome to the site, but is it just me or could'nt you have asked the guy thats "as well conected as you can get."? Not being mean but just wondering. Thats the one I would have asked...
And avoid to chance to see if any of you are worth your salt? Where the fun in that?

I could have but he didn't know too much about the Hurst Shifter when I asked.
WootyMcBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by WootyMcBooty View Post
And avoid to chance to see if any of you are worth your salt? Where the fun in that?

I could have but he didn't know too much about the Hurst Shifter when I asked.
No Pics either of the CGM...I'm starting to think we are getting toy'd with
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
:troll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Hey big man let me hold a dollar
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Yeah, I am gonna have to call
Old 01-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Welcome to the site! Your orders sounds very familiar.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 AM   #17
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
Im the nutty old ormer marine of the site all the other marines here are stll coherant--------welcome to the site
Semper Fi bro....and police work was just as much fun when the time in the Corps ended!

I'm still on the fence about the short throw though. I assume it would require a bit more shifting effort all thru the range because the handle is shorter=less leverage. I'm going to check out the corvette sites and see what the owners have to say about it. It can always be added by yourself later, and obtained at an employee discount if you have a friend who works at a dealer.

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #18
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post
Semper Fi bro....and police work was just as much fun when the time in the Corps ended!

I'm still on the fence about the short throw though. I assume it would require a bit more shifting effort all thru the range because the handle is shorter=less leverage. I'm going to check out the corvette sites and see what the owners have to say about it. It can always be added by yourself later, and obtained at an employee discount if you have a friend who works at a dealer.
Nooooo...the Hurst short throw shifter is not hard to shift at all! I've had it in my Z28 and SS and ...well, it's really all I know. But, there is nothing wrong with it and I'd swear on it so much that I've ordered it again for my 2SS/RS.

LOVE the Hurst. Not hard to shift at all. Promise.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #19
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Boy did you welcome yourself to this site with the wrong words!! You get a break for now, but if your friend has a CGM Camaro you had better be enroute to get a photo!!

I say the next person who shows up talking about CGM without a picture gets the piss beat out of them!! :bangdesk:

Delivered: 29 June 09 !!!

Current:
'57 BelAir 2Dr Post
'07 Avalanche LTZ (daily driver)
'10 Traverse (wife's demo)
'99 Harley FLHTC
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
^^ he does have a point
Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #21
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy View Post

You are correct. The laws of physics dictate that greater effort is required to move an object if there is less leverage.
Another aspect to consider is that with a short-throw shifter, the top of the shifter would be a greater distance from the steering wheel than the stock shifter. This is not the most desirable setup for road racing, since the driver is constantly moving his/her right hand from the steering wheel to the shifter and back.

That being said, the amount of increased effort in rowing the gears might not be a factor at all and the shorter distance your hand has to travel to shift from 1 gear to the other could very well outweigh the benefit of having reduced effort.
As well, if you're not spending a lot of time on the track in your car, the benefit of having a shorter distance between the shifter and the steering wheel may very well be moot. It's all a matter of individual preferences and priorities.
FWIW, I have a Lou's Short Stick on my '98 SS and never get into trouble on the track moving my hand from the wheel to the shifter... footwork is much more important, IMHO.
I prefer the short-throw setup since it seems to work better for me during the 99% of the time I'm not on the track.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Nooooo...the Hurst short throw shifter is not hard to shift at all! I've had it in my Z28 and SS and ...well, it's really all I know. But, there is nothing wrong with it and I'd swear on it so much that I've ordered it again for my 2SS/RS.

LOVE the Hurst. Not hard to shift at all. Promise.
+1

Had the Hurst in my '00 SS and my '01 Vette. Hurst is by far the way to go. The stock Vette was a pain with getting into 3rd gear correctly sometimes with the factory shifter and the Hurst fixed that issue as well as making it soooo much easier to row through the gears on the 1/4 mile track.
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #23
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Umm.... WOW! I would think you guys would know that the hurst shifter isnt the actuall shifter but the linkage. The leverage of the stick isnt changed at all because the length isnt changed. Thus making the distance between shift stops "shorter".
Old 01-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
camaropete
I love crepes

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to camaropete Send a message via Yahoo to camaropete
I am not sure that some people really understand what a STS is and what it does. Take a look at this picture and then read the article at the link. Very informative. I hope this helps.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...an.html?cat=27
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
The smart-ass in me wants to say, "Your well-connected friend should have been able to answer your questions."

Everyone else has already covered the answers, so I'll just welcome you to the forum.

p.s....nice choice on the 2SS/RS + Hurst. That's what I have on order, too!

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '02 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote