Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
thetournykid

Drives: 03 mustang, Upgrading!!
Question on the RS package, and the halo lights..

So i'm planning to buy a 2ss in a couple months, ( cant wait!!! ) and anyway, can anyone explain what the rs pacakge actually does?

secoundly, i was looking at there site, and the only thing i see that it does other then somthing with the rims is not give you halo lights, so my question is, if i dont purchase the RS package, can i still buy halo lights form a company and have them work on my car? or can i just get the halo's installed by the factory.

I dont think i want the entire RS package, because i plan to buy diffrent rims, so w/e it is that there charging $1200 for i'd rather avoid..

Halo's are only like $150 online, but is it possible to have them w/o the rs pacakage?

any feedback on this matter is greatley appricated

thank you awesome fourm you guys rock !
thetournykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
kellyjrt

Drives: 2010 CAMARO"s ABM & Synergy Green
The RS package doesn't really do anything for you except give you a set of wheels you can't rotate from front to back etc. You can get after market halo's that work just fine.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Like kelly just said, you can get aftermarket halo's but nothing looks better than the halo's coming straight from the factory with the RS package. I think it's a package well worth the money. But that's just my opinion.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetournykid View Post
So i'm planning to buy a 2ss in a couple months, ( cant wait!!! ) and anyway, can anyone explain what the rs pacakge actually does?

secoundly, i was looking at there site, and the only thing i see that it does other then somthing with the rims is not give you halo lights, so my question is, if i dont purchase the RS package, can i still buy halo lights form a company and have them work on my car? or can i just get the halo's installed by the factory.

I dont think i want the entire RS package, because i plan to buy diffrent rims, so w/e it is that there charging $1200 for i'd rather avoid..

Halo's are only like $150 online, but is it possible to have them w/o the rs pacakage?

any feedback on this matter is greatley appricated

thank you awesome fourm you guys rock !
First of all, Search is your friend. all of your answers are here if you take the time and search for them.

Moving on to your questions...

RS package is an appearance package: spoiler, 20' rims, different rims from normal 2ss, hid headlight, and halos.

if you don't purchase the package, yes you can still buy aftermarket halos and have them work.

No, you can not JUST have the halo's installed by the factory. It's the whole RS package or nothing.

And again, yes you can have halo's work if you buy aftermarket ones, EVEN if you did NOT get the RS package.

Good luck on your purchase and remember to search before posting next time!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
thetournykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
Like kelly just said, you can get aftermarket halo's but nothing looks better than the halo's coming straight from the factory with the RS package. I think it's a package well worth the money. But that's just my opinion.

problem is, the main cost is like the rims, i'm buying completley diffrent rims, so would they be able to just do the halo option?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetournykid View Post
problem is, the main cost is like the rims, i'm buying completley diffrent rims, so would they be able to just do the halo option?
You should talk with your dealer and find out if they are able to do that. But I am 90% that they can not.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
thetournykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacamaro View Post
First of all, Search is your friend. all of your answers are here if you take the time and search for them.

Moving on to your questions...

RS package is an appearance package: spoiler, 20' rims, different rims from normal 2ss, hid headlight, and halos.

if you don't purchase the package, yes you can still buy aftermarket halos and have them work.

No, you can not JUST have the halo's installed by the factory. It's the whole RS package or nothing.

And again, yes you can have halo's work if you buy aftermarket ones, EVEN if you did NOT get the RS package.

Good luck on your purchase and remember to search before posting next time!

Ok thanks man that about sums up what i needed
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
On the RS cars, the fog lights are actually the DRL's. You can't turn them on when the regular headlights are already on.

The roof-ditch molding is also the same color as the paint on the RS cars. Non-RS car roof ditch molding is black.

The RS cars also have a darker colored tail light. You can acheive the same look by tinting them.

If you were getting the V6 the RS package also adds the rear spoiler, but the SS already come with that.

The rims on the RS are midnight silver instead of the regular painted rims. If you want the polished aluminum they are extra regardless.

The halos also have a HID light in them. If you get some halo's from a company like AAC it doesn't upgrade the headlight to HID's although I think you can order the Factory Halo's and have them installed by your dealer.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjrt View Post
The RS package doesn't really do anything for you except give you a set of wheels you can't rotate from front to back etc. You can get after market halo's that work just fine.
It's my understanding that the RS package does not affect tire size, just wheel color. RS package's is Midnight Silver.

If you care about such things, an RS package SS has a red SS on the front & back; the normal version's is silver/white.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
The factory halos aren't really "rings", they're more like "parentheses". You can get after market halos that are much closer to being actual "rings", and look better, in my opinion.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
It's my understanding that the RS package does not affect tire size, just wheel color. RS package's is Midnight Silver.

If you care about such things, an RS package SS has a red SS on the front & back; the normal version's is silver/white.
It affects the size on the V6 cars... the SS already has 20" rims so there is no difference in size for the SS.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
It affects the size on the V6 cars... the SS already has 20" rims so there is no difference in size for the SS.
That's what I thought. Guy said he was buying an SS so there's no difference in tire size.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
Rcfiddy1

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
why not get rs package and sell the rims, that way you have colored roof moldings, halos and HiDs
ECS Paxton Novi 1500 Blower Black, Alky Control Meth Injection, LS3 conversion, ECS Blower cam, Trunion upgrade, Vigilante 2800 stall, BMR suspension parts, 3.45 rear, Stainless Works LT headers, BnB fusion ZL1 exhaust, Ridetech Coilovers.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
For me I wanted the Halo lights and the midnight wheels so I had to have the RS Package. The other stuff was a bonus. I've looked at the tail lights of the RS and non RS sitting side by side, and I honestly don't see a huge difference. I think the roof ditch being painted to match is a nice touch too, although I don't think on the black or Cyber Grey you would really notice it if it wasn't painted to match. It comes down to how important is the stuff to you, and is it worth the extra money. To me it was very important.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
why not get rs package and sell the rims, that way you have colored roof moldings, halos and HiDs
thetournykid, this what I would do......Since you are planning to get an SS, the RS option cost you $1200.....you could EASILY sell the stock tires/wheels for $1000 to $1200....so you can in affect get the RS package for FREE!!

its a NO BRAINER, and won't have the hastle of trying to mod the car with aftermark stuff.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
I didn't hesitate in adding the RS package to my SS. I wanted the stock Halos rather than some aftermarket halo and I wanted the roof ditch molding painted to match the car. I didn't care for the MS wheels so I went with the polished AL.
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 2SS/RS CGM #75,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
I didn't hesitate in adding the RS package to my SS. I wanted the stock Halos rather than some aftermarket halo and I wanted the roof ditch molding painted to match the car. I didn't care for the MS wheels so I went with the polished AL.
Yes, exactly what he said, the RS package was a no-brainer. I'm currently looking at some Vossen wheels so I can run them in the Spring/Summer and use my Midnight Silver for Fall/Winter use. You won't be disappointed with the RS package.
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
just sell your old rims and get the RS package, maybe I'll buy them for spares!

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Spend some time looking at cars with and without the halo/HID headlights. Also spend time looking at cars without body coloured roof moldings. The RS package cars look way better. The factory halos are pretty nice. Most dealers are kinda dumb when it comes to adding stuff from aftermarket. Most dealers are pro-factory and don't mess with aftermarket stuff too much. Yes, you can add halos, but your car won't be a true RS if you did. The front of the car has to come off to get them in and they have to hack into the wire harness to make it work. I wouldn't give someone a chance to screw up your car. I was like you, the extra money for basically fancy headlights was a turn off. But I am so happy with the car and I am really glad I got the RS package. As for your wheels, don't worry about them, they will sell like hotcakes if you want!
HeavyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjrt View Post
You cant rotate the tires on any SS anyways...RS makes no difference for that.
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #21
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
Well some people claim that RS stands for Rally Sport, but it actually Really Sexy. In the really fine print is says you get more sex with the RS package
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #22
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
The RS package is worth it just for the HID headlights and body color roof ditch molding. If you look, the RS package also costs less for the SS than it does for the LT, this is because you already have the upgraded 20" wheels, just with different paint. You are paying $1200 for the headlights, and possibly a little for the roof ditch molding as painting adds some cost. The darker taillight covers should be a 0 cost option as plastic is plastic.

People have already commented that one HID headlamp assembly can cost $800, So I guess that makes the package cost about right when you consider the non HID part probably costs around $200 or more per assembly.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #23
2010IBMSS

Drives: 2010 camaro SS RS
The HID's are worth the RS package....thats my opinion....
2010IBMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #24
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
My company purchased 7 Camaros. One 2SS w/o RS package and six 2LT's with RS package. Reading through some of these posts there is some misinformation above.

One of our 2LT's came in without the RS package by mistake. The dealer offered to Dr. it up or we could wait another 4-6 weeks for a black 2LT RS 6MT to be shipped.

Since we were in a time crunch and didn't have the luxury of time on our side, (We ordered these cars last October and the final car was delivered Feb 5 and had to have all of the graphics installed by early March for our advertising campaign.) we opted to have the dealer at no cost to us because they screwed up install the spoiler, RS badges and the midnight 20" rims.

We asked the dealership if they could install the halos and they informed us that wiring harnesses are different. It's probably doable to install Halos after the fact but our dealership wasn't too excited about taking that on. I know some of the guys in the service dept and if they thought it was no big deal they would have done it in a heartbeat. Put another way, it would be more of hassle to install halos after the fact than ebaying the 20" rims particularly when you factor in time, labor and dollars.

I can tell you the two guys that don't have the halos sure wish that they did and joke that they got screwed.

At night the two cars look quite different from the front. Hands down the halos look better. Much more menacing than the incandescent set up. The only drawback is that the fogs are in fact dedicated DRL's and cannot manually be switched on. However you can switch just the halos on and they look killer. I sometimes use them when it's raining or at dusk.

The aftermarket kits are a get-whatchu-pay-for-proposition. Some are fairly labor intensive. Check out Z Madness' turbo V6 video in the "V6 Forced Induction" thread. He has the aftermarket halos on both the headlights and fogs. They're not too bad but they are not HID. I'm considering LED halo bulbs to replace my DRL's.

The RS tailights are in fact smoked vs. red. It's a subtle difference and looks better but eventually I'll be installing some afterburner LED units that also have sequential turn signals and blink feature for the brake light. Hope that info helps.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
Shift

Drives: Me 2001 F150, The wife '11 2SS RS
OEM HID's are pricey

http://www.pfyc.com/CA1095.html
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote