Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 12-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
TDubSr

Drives: 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
Question Concerns and advice needed

I currently own a 2011 LS. I feel like the time has come to let her go, before I end up with a very large paper weight. I still owe money, but she's in good condition and has 45+k miles. I'm strongly considering trading her for a 2011 or 2012 SS. I've looked at several cars on Carmax, all with less than 40k on them. One was a fleet/business vehicle. Should I have any cooncerns with purchasing a used SS, or through Carmax? I'm just worried I'll end up with a car that's been doing burn outs and dogged out. Am I being irrational and should I just pull the trigger?
TDubSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
SquawkVFR

Drives: 2010 Camaro
A used V8 sports car? You're gonna rely on someone on here to tell you it's ok to buy one?

...or are you going to apply the common sense factor and realize the slim chances of you purchasing a high performance sports car that was only driven gently by granny to church on sundays?
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
So you want to trade a V-6 Paperweight for an Unknown Fleet V-8 Paperweight? From one of the worst places to buy a car?

Why?
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDubSr View Post
I'm just worried I'll end up with a car that's been doing burn outs and dogged out. Am I being irrational and should I just pull the trigger?
Well, it's a Camaro, so yeah, there will be some level of this. If a car is ridden hard but taken care of speaks more that someone with a v6 that never changes the oil. What you need to do is look for a car you like and then look at any signs of abuse. So, it is has 8k miles on it and a new set of back tires, odds are, it's been driven. If you see tons of rubber on the underside, odds are, it's been driven. If you smell burnt rubber on the inside, odds are, its been driven. If you find some panties in the back seat, odds are, some more riding occurred.

Have fun with your search.

joe...
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
49North1LE

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE G7C,
Likely slim chance yes, but I'm "granny" right here.
49North1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 2LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
From what I have seen Carmax is on the very high end of retail prices and on the very low end of trade-in offers. Most of what they sell are supposedly "fleet" vehicles. I didn't know so many sporty type cars like the Camaros with mods are run by the car rental places. I personally don't trust any used car dealer to give you the truth.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
ndtguy
^ Me. Things I write ~>

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ndtguy
Honestly. Look around. Here's why.

I was looking for a 5th gen camaro. I didn't want something that was abused, as already stated above.

Carmax had a 13 with all the bells/whistles and 53k miles. Wanted 23-5 for it. I saw it because they were giving me an estimate on the jeep. I did that so if I bought anywhere else, I would know if the dealership was giving me a good deal or not.

Looked around online at the dealers here (both new/used and just used car lots) and found a lot of 5th gens that had lower miles (30-40k) and were between 23-29k. Some were in really good condition/lower mileage ($27-29k) and others were in fair-good or had more miles or both ($23-26k). Didn't matter if A6 or M6.

Test drove on that was in the middle with 36k and wanted $26k. It was an auto with a sunroof. The 6L80E surprised me how well it "got up and went". The sunroof was a deal killer because I couldn't stop touching the roof with my head, even with the seat all the way down. So I kept looking.

Ended up finding my current car at a dealership close to my house. Had it on the lot for 26.9k with 21k miles on it (2010/leather/heated seats/etc...no sunroof/HID/non-RS car). A day later, they lowered it to 23.9k. Then lowered it again to 21.9k a week later. I went in/test drove it and bought it. The dealership even gave me the option of paying my tag (273.00) or another 750 off the price. I took the 750.

What am I trying to say, be patient. If you have a good credit score and you're not upside down on your current car (what they'll give you vs. what you owe), you should be fine. Keep looking because the car that you might have your eye on, the dealership might keep lowering the price.

Good luck and don't do anything on a 'whim'. Let us know how it turns out.

New DD: 2010 Camaro SS L99/A6 - bone stock.

Gone but not forgotten...
- 2001 Camaro SS m6 - SLP lid, free ram-air mod, poly sway bar bushings/end links, BMR springs and bilsteins.

- 1998 Trans Am m6, forged 347, T70;alky-water injection; intercooled, 208/230 .549/.579 121LSA, Moser 12 bolt, 561rwhp/611rwtq.
ndtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
Well, it's a Camaro, so yeah, there will be some level of this. If a car is ridden hard but taken care of speaks more that someone with a v6 that never changes the oil. What you need to do is look for a car you like and then look at any signs of abuse. So, it is has 8k miles on it and a new set of back tires, odds are, it's been driven. If you see tons of rubber on the underside, odds are, it's been driven. If you smell burnt rubber on the inside, odds are, its been driven. If you find some panties in the back seat, odds are, some more riding occurred.

Have fun with your search.

joe...
Hahahhahaaaa. This made my day.
Check the size of the panties. If they are XL, you will need new suspension.
JLSuperfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skid mark View Post
From what I have seen Carmax is on the very high end of retail prices and on the very low end of trade-in offers. Most of what they sell are supposedly "fleet" vehicles. I didn't know so many sporty type cars like the Camaros with mods are run by the car rental places. I personally don't trust any used car dealer to give you the truth.
yes, that's how they make money. buy cheap, sell high. they do purchase a lot of fleet vehicles, but they also buy from individuals. the bulk of their inventory comes from auctions. it's why you see so many low end cars like aveo's, Versa's, and Focus's on their lots.

as far as buying from them, depend on you. for someone who doesn't know much about cars, either fixing or selling, it's a great place to get a used car. your pretty much guaranteed a car in good working order that will come with a short warranty, and the option to buy a longer one. your not going to get the best deal, but you also won't be doing the crap shoot a car out of a paper/Craig's list/etc, or used car lot basically is.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wondering why a 6 cylinder camaro with low miles would make a good paperweight? the girls arent impressed with the 6 cyl? do you feel the need to open the hood at car shows and draw attention to the two extra cylinders? nothin wrong with the 6 unless you want to upgrade to a car with more options and feel like you might as well get the 8 cylinder too while youre at it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Why would anyone be afraid of buying a used performance car? You simply have to know what you're buying, as you would with any used car. If the fact that the car was used meant a used 5 Gen Camaro SS was beat down crap, then every 5 Gen SS Camaro owned by a a member on this forum would be by definition a pile of junk. Is that true? No.

Let's use logic here, not fear.

But is it a good idea to trade into a car when you still owe on your present car? Probably not. Seriously consider what you're doing, and explore the very real possibility that paying off your present car in 12-18 months would save you more than you owe if you'd trade in now. Do your math before anything.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
ThisGuyDrives

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey Metallic 1LE/1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
nothin wrong with the 6 unless you want to upgrade to a car with more options and feel like you might as well get the 8 cylinder too while youre at it.
There's actually two problems with the V6. It's slower and doesn't sound as good as a V8. End of story. I personally don't care if someone has a V6, but if someone wants a V8, then by all means get the V8. They'll see what they've been missing. I'll take a lesser optioned SS over a fully loaded V6 any day.

To the OP, there's one thing great about getting an LS3. It's a damn good engine and the 5th gen Camaro can take some levels of abuse and still be a great car as long as it's maintained. It's all about service records.
My Camaro had 7,500 miles when I bought it and previous owner used it as a weekend car and did have a little fun in it. 23k miles now and zero problems.

A friend bought a used 2010 SS with 50k miles on itand it now has 100k miles and all he's done is got a new clutch. He drives that thing like he stole it! These cars are very reliable.

But, do yourself a favor and definitely check out all dealers within 120 miles of you. If you can, try to find at least a 2013 1LE. It's the best bang for the buck. Check out the 1LE forum on here for more info on specifics about that trim package. Good luck.

2,000 Watt Stereo
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust
SPEC Stage 1 Clutch

Last edited by ThisGuyDrives; 12-20-2016 at 05:57 PM.
ThisGuyDrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
anth331

Drives: 2016 Z71 Silverado 2010 RS Camaro
IMOP almost anybody who buys a V8 is going to put their foot in it every once in awhile I'm 54 if I can ever get another camaro I will be putting my foot in it every once in awhile That to me is why you buy a car like a camaro Go fast every now and then and have fun doing it
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
yeah,i guess.my poor ol six will only go around 150,but ive slowed down in my old age.i am kind of curious to know how many of us race and take it up to top speed on a regular basis.,used to be at least twice a week before having grandkids slowed me down.im thinking it would be embarrassing if they had to come visit me in the jailhouse...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote