Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
Daily Driver, Non-Track Car

I have a C7 Corvette on order, but the dealer hasn't been able to get the order accepted by GM--probably due to lack of allocation. The next allocation cycle is next Wednesday and if it doesn't get picked up, I'm going to cancel, back up and reconsider. I ordered a base model so no magnetic ride or other track goodies.

I started looking at Camaro's and Mustangs and my first thought was to look at ZL1's and GT350's, but the GT350 won't be available until the 2016's come out. What are you thoughts of a 1LE vs a ZL1 as a daily driver, non-track car? I can find a ZL1 equipped with Recaro seats for about $58K and can find a 1LE with the same seats and other options for about $42K. My main concern isn't the purchase price, but the maintenance in the future. I understand that just replacing shocks on a car with magnetic ride is pretty expensive. What would I miss on the SS/1LE that would come with the ZL1 besides horsepower?
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS
I don't think the current gen Magnetic ride has the leaking problems like they originally did on C5 Vettes

Maintenance shouldn't be an issue, but I'd honestly swing for the ZL1 if you're looking for a DD. Especially since it already looks like you could afford it, and 580 HP would be intoxicating to drive daily.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Well gas mileage could also be a consideration for a DD. The 1LE handles as well if not even a little better than the ZL1. Randy Pobst I believe even made the comment while testing a 1LE (before the Z/28) and said it was the best balance best handling Camaro yet (even after he had drove the ZL1). The ZL1 will give you that better power rush though and the mag ride will give you the option of a softer ride when cruising and a firmer ride when playing. The 1LE will be one suspension setting all the time. Now that being said after owning a 1LE and having a 2002 Camaro SS with a full Strano suspension on it I will say that my 1LE handles better than the 2002 did and rides way better too. If I lived in a better climate to drive my 1LE as a DD I would not think twice about it.

I'm not sure maintenance costs will be much different between the two cars. So the main points to consider are:

1. Purchase Price
2. Power level
3. Adjustable Suspension or not
4. Fuel mileage as a DD (gas might be less expensive now but I know this is only temporary)
5. Resale value - The ZL1 will definitely maintain a higher resale value. 1LE's are more of a unique market for a buyer to see the value in it. The ZL1 is a car that people will only need to know it's a ZL1 and it will automatically be more valuable.

Can't really go wrong with either and I'd love to have a ZL1 too. Just could not afford a new one when I could get a new 1LE. I'm happy with my 1LE though and for doing Autocross I feel my 1LE is a little better for that because it's about 280lbs lighter.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
If your dealer is having problems ordering a vette for you, go to a different dealer....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Ernest T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
If your dealer is having problems ordering a vette for you, go to a different dealer....
I have, the release of the Z06 has cut base car allocations.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Ernest T

I finally got my order accepted by GM so I should have the Corvette in a couple of months. Makes the ZL1 moot.