Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #936
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeandBlondie View Post
Elvira still has a burning oil smell from time to time and she's got about 2600 miles on her already. So far so fabulous. I think the power steering pump is makin some noise, but Blondie drives her like she stole her all the time.
Hey Swede try putting some of the Royal Purple in the power steering. I am going to do that next. The Royal Purple radiator treatment seems to have lowered the operating temp about 15 degrees overall and the Royal Purple oil also seems to have added a little bit more bump in power to the engine and it is noticeably quieter when running. I want to put the Royal Purple in the trans and rear end after they do an oil assay and the dealer documents the problem on Friday.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #937
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacdmc View Post
I guess I can say luckily for me, it's not a problem that's bad enough for me to have some knucklehead "mechanic" at the dealer to start poking around my car. In fact, most would never notice it. In my case, I will just enjoy the ride and see what happens. I can say this though, if this car gives me problems, it may be my last GM product. I have a 2007, $50K Duramax truck that took me two years to get the "common problems" fixed because GM is either too stupid or just too cheap to build a solid product. Don't get me wrong, I've been driving GM's all my life and had some that ran 100K with nothing more than oil changes. Let's just hope this potential trans issue is an easy fix...
I also have had GM's most of my life also and never had any problems with anyone of them besides normal stuff.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #938
SwedeandBlondie

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Hey Swede try putting some of the Royal Purple in the power steering. I am going to do that next. The Royal Purple radiator treatment seems to have lowered the operating temp about 15 degrees overall and the Royal Purple oil also seems to have added a little bit more bump in power to the engine and it is noticeably quieter when running. I want to put the Royal Purple in the trans and rear end after they do an oil assay and the dealer documents the problem on Friday.
Might have to do that. The pump's been 'whirring' and the cap has some residue around it. I've been keeping an eye on it.

It's not leaking oil, and Kim doesn't notice the smell. I only notice it from having driven some POSs in my time that leaked/burnt oil.
2009 HD Street Glide
2005 HD Fatboy
SwedeandBlondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #939
11SGM2SSRS

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS 6M
Hi once again to all the gang in the 11-15-10 family. I would like your opinions on a question I have.
So far I have been mostly sitting on the sidelines because my Camaro has been in storage in my garage since day one with 39 miles on the odometer. Without being able to drive her I don't do much posting. Also, because of that, I can't say anything yet about any issues I may or may not have with grinding in the Tremec.
I see that Orange Krate has taken the bull by the horns on this issue and has posted a boatload of information. Thank you for doing that.
My question has to do with the "skip shift eliminator". I ordered one from Apex Motorsports and will be installing it before I take my Camaro out for the first time in the spring. Lets say that Orange Krate is right and they issue a TSB or a recall on the Tremec's. Do we leave the "SSE" installed when we go in for the warranty work? I imagine GM would try to wiggle out of the warranty by saying the tranny has been modified? I think to be on the safe side the "SSE" should probably come off before going in for a TSB or recall. What do you all think?
Thanks guys and gals
Steve
11SGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #940
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11SGM2SSRS View Post
Hi once again to all the gang in the 11-15-10 family. I would like your opinions on a question I have.
So far I have been mostly sitting on the sidelines because my Camaro has been in storage in my garage since day one with 39 miles on the odometer. Without being able to drive her I don't do much posting. Also, because of that, I can't say anything yet about any issues I may or may not have with grinding in the Tremec.
I see that Orange Krate has taken the bull by the horns on this issue and has posted a boatload of information. Thank you for doing that.
My question has to do with the "skip shift eliminator". I ordered one from Apex Motorsports and will be installing it before I take my Camaro out for the first time in the spring. Lets say that Orange Krate is right and they issue a TSB or a recall on the Tremec's. Do we leave the "SSE" installed when we go in for the warranty work? I imagine GM would try to wiggle out of the warranty by saying the tranny has been modified? I think to be on the safe side the "SSE" should probably come off before going in for a TSB or recall. What do you all think?
Thanks guys and gals
Steve
Thanks Steve...sorry you all are in the sub zero weather now! Brrrrr! My best bud lives in Albertville, MN. He is freezing his hiney off!

Hey, I think you should post even while parked! It helps pass the time away. You are loved here amongst friends.

As for the Skip Shift Eliminator...not sure about warranty, I guess it depends on the dealer and their interpretation. I read recently where a dealer said a warranty was voided because of a new cat-back exhaust system. I found this to be absolutely ridiculous! I can understand if the cats, O2 sensors or other electronic monitoring/regulating equipment were changed but mufflers?

The SSE will not fix the problem I am experiencing, and others who have added the SSE still have the same issue with the grinding and hard shifts. I read somewhere that this Camaro has something like 32 or 36 processors in them collecting data and regulating functions. I do not know if this is a true statement. However, if it is, I am sure it will record a change in data flow with the addition of the SSE.

Big brother is watching. In fact, I hear there is a new GM Foul Air Recovery Tool (F.A.R.T.) that will record data from the driver's seat during extremely hard launches of the car when the Stabilitrac is turned off and it is in Competition Mode. This feature only comes with the SS/RS version. Word has it that the F.A.R.T. has been recording extra data from missed shifts and burnt clutch odors.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #941
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
i think if i had a 6 spd and the sse on and was going in for warrenty work i would remove it. you would not want to give them a reason for denial.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #942
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Thanks guys and gals
Steve
I would also remove it before warranty work.
Maybe you will not need any warranty work.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System;
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #943
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Mine is at the dealer today. I took it in. We look at any/all Camaro TSBs...NONE. They said I may have to take it out with the Service Manager to try and duplicate the problem for him. I am going to have HIM drive it and tell him to drive it like HE STOLE IT!!! I want to see him get on it and try and shift smoothly!!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #944
panther2469

Drives: 2011 2SS RS SIM Litho # 193
Quote:
Mine is at the dealer today. I took it in. We look at any/all Camaro TSBs...NONE. They said I may have to take it out with the Service Manager to try and duplicate the problem for him. I am going to have HIM drive it and tell him to drive it like HE STOLE IT!!! I want to see him get on it and try and shift smoothly!!

Sorry to hear about that, good luck i hope everything works out
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #945
ealfaro

Drives: 2011 2ss
Sorry to hear all these issues you guys are having. I had an SDM sensor issue with a wire that came loose and a harness was replaced but thats it. I have had the grind once or twice at the early part when going from 1st to 2nd when I was really opening her up. I have 1500 miles and recently took her out, opened her up and when hard shifted from 1st to 2nd got a grind, but I was pretty sure I didn't have the clutch pushed in all the way and the timing sucked. Tried it again later, and made sure I had the clucth all the way down and it was smooth and powerful..
ealfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #946
Scottishgames
Suck'n Gas And Haul'n Ass

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS - 1936 Chevy Streetrod
Quote:

Big brother is watching. In fact, I hear there is a new GM Foul Air Recovery Tool (F.A.R.T.) that will record data from the driver's seat during extremely hard launches of the car when the Stabilitrac is turned off and it is in Competition Mode. This feature only comes with the SS/RS version. Word has it that the F.A.R.T. has been recording extra data from missed shifts and burnt clutch odors.
Damn OK I already recorded one and all I did was back it off the flatbed Into the garage! and it still has only 18 miles on it.
All BS aside, I hope they take care of this for you.
I been reading alot of threads on the M6.
Scottishgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #947
11SGM2SSRS

Maybe I will be really lucky and not have the grinding problem with my tranny. Won't know till this summer. Orange Krate I hope all goes well for you when the dealer drives your car. Keep us posted on the outcome. By the way, thanks for the encouragement, I will try to post more often.
I am a little surprised that a quality tranny like Tremec is having these issues. I also own a '69 Camaro SS that puts out 500 HP at the flywheel. It is backed up with a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed and it takes any and all abuse without so much as a hicup. I will add a picture of it today.
As for the SSE I have decided that if I do need any warranty work done on my '11 I will pull the SSE off first. Don't need to give the dealer any added reason to try to crawl out from under the warranty.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #948
wacdmc

Drives: 11 2SS, 10 Equinox, 07 Silverado HD
11SGM - that's a badass looking ride. I love it!!
wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #949
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
Maybe I will be really lucky and not have the grinding problem with my tranny. Won't know till this summer. Orange Krate I hope all goes well for you when the dealer drives your car. Keep us posted on the outcome. By the way, thanks for the encouragement, I will try to post more often.
I am a little surprised that a quality tranny like Tremec is having these issues. I also own a '69 Camaro SS that puts out 500 HP at the flywheel. It is backed up with a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed and it takes any and all abuse without so much as a hicup. I will add a picture of it today.
As for the SSE I have decided that if I do need any warranty work done on my '11 I will pull the SSE off first. Don't need to give the dealer any added reason to try to crawl out from under the warranty.
OMG!! That is one beautiful '69! I love the Flex Fuel badging. I have Orange Krate back home. READ THIS LINK to see where I am at with this issue:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=169

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #950
11SGM2SSRS

I am sorry to read that your dealer can't duplicate the problem with your tranny. That sucks. Hopefully sooner rather than later they will step up and address this problem.
I added the flex fuel badge because I converted my '69 to EFI and can change the tune by using a laptop. The ECM is in the glove box and I plug into it using a serial connection. I can change it from all gasoline; to a mix of gas and E85; or to straight E85. For the last four years I have been running straight E85. In Minnesota E85 is very plentiful and is from $.50 to $.80 per gallon cheaper than regular gas which means it is over a buck per gallon cheaper than the premium I would be required to use. It also has an octane rating between 94 and 96 which my car loves. I lose a little bit of gas mileage with E85 but you don't drive a car like this and worry about gas mileage. I will enclose a couple pic's under the hood.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #951
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Quote:
I am sorry to read that your dealer can't duplicate the problem with your tranny. That sucks. Hopefully sooner rather than later they will step up and address this problem.
I added the flex fuel badge because I converted my '69 to EFI and can change the tune by using a laptop. The ECM is in the glove box and I plug into it using a serial connection. I can change it from all gasoline; to a mix of gas and E85; or to straight E85. For the last four years I have been running straight E85. In Minnesota E85 is very plentiful and is from $.50 to $.80 per gallon cheaper than regular gas which means it is over a buck per gallon cheaper than the premium I would be required to use. It also has an octane rating between 94 and 96 which my car loves. I lose a little bit of gas mileage with E85 but you don't drive a car like this and worry about gas mileage. I will enclose a couple pic's under the hood.
Very very nice! This raises the question... will the new L99 and LS3 run on the E85? If so do you know anyone that has tried it? Corn fed midwesterners! LOL

I have said this in other threads and essentially been called a heretic... if they built a Camaro with a hybrid diesel electric I would buy it because of the power and mileage! Imagine a Camaro with biodiesel that is turbo'd and electric. It would have the potential to bury the LS3 (stock) right from the get go. Most people have never driven a HP turbo diesel to know how much torque they have. At some point even these new muscle cars will have to become even more fuel efficient and use alternative fuels. I have been following a couple of "electric" race cars that flat haul A$$!!!

Thanks for sharing your '69 that car is truly a sweet ride. Makes me want my 69 SS back.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #952
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
I went yesterday and had some venture shield clear bra installed behind the front and rear wheels. trying to figure if i want to apply it to the front bumpers. very nice product.