Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #151
truth411

 
Drives: police interceptor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Austin, tx
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
Sorry, but I don't understand any of this statement. You are a GM shill. You make no mention of the nerfed automatic V8 Camaro and you disregard its high weight and lower MPG in comparison to its main competitor the Mustang. To an unbiased observer, this would make the Mustang the superior product.

You are simply trying to prove to yourself that all of your GM purchases were the 'correct' choice by slamming the competition and praising the product you bought.


There is no 'may' about it, it is a fact. You are also wrong about the LS3 being faster than an automatic 5.0. It is not.


GM is not going to put any money into the Corvette before the C7. They are simply taking the product more upscale with high consumer cost/low Chevy cost options. GM is giving Corvette buyers very little real value with the GS as it is just fluff. I believe if they did not make a GS and just sold base/Z06/ZR1 their sales would not be off 66-75% from 2007 peaks as they are now.

Porsche is dripping millions of dollars away since the depression. It would be wise to do the exact opposite of Porsche to make money.


False. The cost of change is passed on to the consumer. Having to produce spare parts for only a 2 year model run is stupid.


False again. GM has said they win awards for the Camaro's interior. Your statement contradicts theirs.
Cool story Bro...lol
Anyways back on topic: 2012 is the 3rd model year and perfect timeing for a midcycle refresh (which what seem to be happening) until the 6th gen Camaro for the 2015 Model year. While I love power, I want the wheel/tire/Brake/suspension setup from the Z/28 an option for the SS. Call it the 1Le suspension package.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #152
20Camaro11
 
20Camaro11's Avatar
 
Drives: SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: not here
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
This rumor reeks of internet forum posters. The rumor of the horsepower bump because of the fact that 5.0 Mustangs are faster in the 1/4 mile is false.

Unless Chevy proves that they are the same old financially stupid company as years past, they will not bump the power in the Camaro before the Corvette. It makes no sense to change the engine in the Corvette now. It also makes no financial sense to change the interior of the Camaro in its 3rd MY run. The cost of changing and retooling is not a smart move when there is no need. They need to refresh the car in 5 year runs like the Mustang in order to make a profit.


Also, Mustang versus Camaro facts.

Both transmission V6 Mustang's are faster than any V6 Camaro.

Automatic 5.0 is faster than L99 Camaro.

Automatic 5.0 is faster than LS3 Camaro.

6 speed manual versus 5.0 versus LS3 Camaro is very close and comes down to driver skill.

Overall, the Mustang is the faster car. Anyone who chooses to use 1 specific test to 'prove' the Camaro is faster and disregard all other heads up results is a GM shill.
I wondered how long it would take Alrox to get in here and dispel these RUMORS. I don't disagree with him though...this could be the Challenger V10 thread re-hashed all over again. I don't really care one way or the other, I have 2011, so any future change likely doesn't mean anything to me.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #153
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,523
once again people, the word RUMOR is the first word...
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #154
Huggerorange73
Banned
 
Drives: The REAL C5
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norridge, IL
Posts: 2,115
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
once again people, the word RUMOR is the first word...
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #155
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
 
JEFF2010SSMANUAL's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthNacho08 View Post
I heard they finally fixed the problem they were having with the flux capacitor, it should be good for another 50 hp


JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #156
SS 376

 
SS 376's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
once again people, the word RUMOR is the first word...
The LS3 leaves PLENTY of power on the table in its current form but I'll believe it when I see it.
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #157
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
once again people, the word RUMOR is the first word...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
The LS3 leaves PLENTY of power on the table in its current form but I'll believe it when I see it.
According to Number 3 there is No such thing as a rumor. At least that's what it says below his user name. Coincidence?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #158
rally yellow ss rs
 
rally yellow ss rs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 452
Remember the Cyclone and Typhoon? Remember the Buick Grand National? Anything that threatens sales of the over priced Corvette gets dumbed down hp and torque or will become retired. They have to protect their top sports car. The cts-v has been supercharged with decent stats so GM, according to history, will up the corvettes stats to ensure its sails. Personally, I think they should ebrace the Camaro with the supercharger package. The Camaro isnt just the rebirth of an American Favorite, a movie star car, but a sports car that middle class can afford with the functionality of a back seat so the wife wont have a reason to object. They should have the supercharger, intake, exhaust, short shifter, and built in programmer as the 3SS package... Yeah it would need to be around 50k, but wouldn't you pay that for it all under warranty and able to take the corvettes...let alone the damn mustangs supercharged? I wanted this Camaro for its looks, but as well its "corvette" engine and luxury like sports car feel...thats why I paid for 2ss. If they go switching up the vehicle...we will have the "old" model Camaro. Honestly if GM would offer packages after the fact, like the one I stated above, they could reap the benifits of us going through them for performance parts. I say they keep the Camaro how it is, but make power packages throught GM for us to upgrade our cars with. Who the hell wants to continueslly buy, sell, buy again if you dont have too. I mean, why buy even 2012 if they will just have another 50hp gain for 2013? I think that will make it loose its appeal to the average guy. Middle class is depleting and would make much more sense to just offer power upgrades through GM. Just my 2 cents....Sorry for the length...thats what I told her.
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #159
Caliman93230

 
Caliman93230's Avatar
 
Drives: LS3S/C
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: CALI
Posts: 1,347
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
__________________
MODS whipple 2.9L s/c, ADM race scoop, 600 rwhp 550 wrtq, .
Caliman93230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #160
red 2011 ss
 
Drives: red 2011 ss
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 69
: clap:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
red 2011 ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #161
Sawyer


 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 5.0
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
Well said!
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Black M6
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #162
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
stage 1, 2 etc. kits. They are missing the boat big time.
I'd be all over a kit with some form of warranty
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #163
rally yellow ss rs
 
rally yellow ss rs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 452
I thought that was what I said...whatever though...Its the truth and should be restated. I just wish GM read this.
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #164
rayhawk

 
rayhawk's Avatar
 
Drives: Trailblazer SS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
I agree with you as far as the performance parts, and I think eventually they will offer more in that area. I don't agree that Ford can just add 50 hp to the Mustang though, look at what they had to do to create the Boss with 440 hp, that is a significantly more expensive engine and only has 28 more hp, and all they really did was move the power higher in the rpm band. I'm not really knocking the 5.0, it is just in a much higher state of tune than the LS3 already.
__________________
Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum, hooters, hooters on a girl thats dumb.
-Al Bundy

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
72 VW Beetle, 2275cc, Dual 44 IDF's
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #165
devildoc

 
devildoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post

There is no 'may' about it, it is a fact. You are also wrong about the LS3 being faster than an automatic 5.0. It is not.

I'm sorry Alrox, but I will disagree with you on that. You have been to a track and seen the 5.0 beat someone with an SS, which I am assuming you have? But an all stock 5.0 will not take and all stock L99 on 3 runs. I have seen it with my own eyes 2 wks ago at the San Antonio Raceway. Psss, he couldn't even beat me, I took him by .23 seconds on the 1/4, & I only have a V6 (also should point out that I took a '10 GT w/ exhaust&intake). What you say, "how is this possible" because the damn 5.0 comes with to much power to keep their lowsy street tires planted on the ground! It doesn't matter I'm sure to you, but a win is a win! The cars are worthless unless they are upgraded right from the factory!
__________________
STANDING 1/4MI: 13.948@99.87
6600RPM HP/TQ Gains - 30.54HP/24.3TQ (NOT PEAK)
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #166
alrox
 
Drives: corvette
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
I'm sorry Alrox, but I will disagree with you on that. You have been to a track and seen the 5.0 beat someone with an SS, which I am assuming you have? But an all stock 5.0 will not take and all stock L99 on 3 runs. I have seen it with my own eyes 2 wks ago at the San Antonio Raceway. Psss, he couldn't even beat me, I took him by .23 seconds on the 1/4, & I only have a V6 (also should point out that I took a '10 GT w/ exhaust&intake). What you say, "how is this possible" because the damn 5.0 comes with to much power to keep their lowsy street tires planted on the ground! It doesn't matter I'm sure to you, but a win is a win! The cars are worthless unless they are upgraded right from the factory!
Your 14 second flat modified V6 is not faster than a stock automatic 5.0 Mustang in any way, regardless of factory tire.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #167
devildoc

 
devildoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
Your 14 second flat modified V6 is not faster than a stock automatic 5.0 Mustang in any way, regardless of factory tire.
Then you Sir are ignorant of facts and are very mistrusting of others - Timeslips don't lie and neither do I, for I have no need to.
__________________
STANDING 1/4MI: 13.948@99.87
6600RPM HP/TQ Gains - 30.54HP/24.3TQ (NOT PEAK)
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #168
alrox
 
Drives: corvette
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildoc View Post
Then you Sir are ignorant of facts and are very mistrusting of others - Timeslips don't lie and neither do I, for I have no need to.
It is blatantly obvious that you are incorrect and are unwilling to recognize a botched run against your clean run. Your car is much slower than a 5.0 or 2010 GT.

Post the timeslips you are talking about.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #169
SS 376

 
SS 376's Avatar
 
Drives: IBM 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
It is blatantly obvious that you are incorrect and are unwilling to recognize a botched run against your clean run. Your car is much slower than a 5.0 or 2010 GT.

Post the timeslips you are talking about.
Why don't you two take this to the mega mustang thread?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #170
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
It is blatantly obvious that you are incorrect and are unwilling to recognize a botched run against your clean run. Your car is much slower than a 5.0 or 2010 GT.

Post the timeslips you are talking about.
He said a win is a win....thus he recognized the botched run. Read carefully.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #171
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
for 2012 a hp increase may look good on paper but really does noting for the camaro enthusiast, what gm needs to do is offer real performance parts, give us cold air intakes headers, superchargers, cams, suspension upgrades, gears, with warranty and sell then as packages, what people want is OME quality and warranty. This increase in hp is worthless, because Ford can do the same plus they offer real performance parts with some warranty.
Amen brotha.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #172
alrox
 
Drives: corvette
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
He said a win is a win....thus he recognized the botched run. Read carefully.
No, he did not. There was no talk of driver skill or mistakes.

He also goes on to say 'The cars are worthless unless they are upgraded right from the factory!' which is another false statement.
alrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #173
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Though I'm seven pages late -- I really don't think the SS "needs" a power bump...but heck, I'm not gonna say no!
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #174
devildoc

 
devildoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaufort, SC
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
He said a win is a win....thus he recognized the botched run. Read carefully.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alrox View Post
No, he did not. There was no talk of driver skill or mistakes.

He also goes on to say 'The cars are worthless unless they are upgraded right from the factory!' which is another false statement.
Actually I did, if you read carefully I was talking about the factory tires. The mustang DOES NOT hold well on the track with stock tires! That is all I was talking about and a WIN is a WIN! I know the 5.0 on the street would beat me, I'm not stupid, but at the track it couldn't, that is all I was saying! You are getting awfully butt hurt.
__________________
STANDING 1/4MI: 13.948@99.87
6600RPM HP/TQ Gains - 30.54HP/24.3TQ (NOT PEAK)
devildoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #175
Epitaph
Custom User Title
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 550
EDIT: C5 is screwing up, and my bad...didn't know this thing was killed a few days ago
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gen Suspension -- The Book JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 148 09-04-2013 02:28 PM
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
*/* Exhaust and Intake's */* Borla/Magnaflow/ Agency Power/ K&N/ AEM */* ImportImage V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes 73 11-01-2010 10:21 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
Pedders Suspension Benchmark Track Testing and New Jersey Track Day Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - NY / NJ / PA 35 10-26-2009 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.