Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #307
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Although it would be cool to test this app out, I doubt I would actually use it frequently. I allready have remote start, and while technically it's cool to start your car from miles away, I can't say ive ever needed that. Unlocking the doors from very far away can be useful for some people in certain situations. All the other features it seems is just data, and for the most part data that is useless outside of the car. For me at least.
Sure it's cool to whip out your phone and show some one, look what I can do, but it's just a novelty.

Besides, onstar sucks so much anyway, the entire system is ass backwards. If it weren't for the auto crash response and remote slowdown (which oddly doesnt work for v6 camaros) the entire service is a border line ripoff. So I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch for an app when the system that supports it blows. If your upset just cancel your sub when the trial is over, I made that decision the first week of owning my car.
any particular reason why you think it sucks so much?
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 AM   #308
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
it's really too bad there is so much stupidity in just one thread.

some of you guys are hilarious thinking that subsidiary companies should be able to predict that iphone apps will be a huge hit with cars several years before they turn out to be.

it's like expecting windows 98 to have native bluetooth compatibility.

or better yet, that you could get your hands on the "code" to the app and "recompile". *sigh*
True

Your comparisons are way off base, and do not apply here. Bluetooth was not as far into it's implementation when Windows 98 was released...
(Bluetooth was announced in 1994, but not until the last 8-10 years has it really been used by the masses)

Onstar communication from the car to the user was fully implemented in 2010... (i.e. the email diagnostics, ability to call Onstar and have them unlock your car etc.)
Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #309
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
it's really too bad there is so much stupidity in just one thread.

some of you guys are hilarious thinking that subsidiary companies should be able to predict that iphone apps will be a huge hit with cars several years before they turn out to be.

it's like expecting windows 98 to have native bluetooth compatibility.

or better yet, that you could get your hands on the "code" to the app and "recompile". *sigh*

Amen Brother.

I was all over the last couple of these threads before the app came out and its like talking to a wall here.

The simple fact is, take a look at the app, how it gets real time data from the car on fuel level, etc. The OnStar box in the 2010 doesn't do that to the normal web application, so very obviously they did not want to offer the app with limited functionality to 2010 cars. There seems to be some way that it will do a real time connection to the car. Very likely they did not want to release the ability for it to work on Gen8 hardware based cars if the functionality was crippled or unreliable. Otherwise I could just imagine the bitching and moaning would be 10x as much as people already have their panties in a wad.

Its a smart move on GMs part to only release the app for the cars it will be completely functional with, and give extra development time with the possibility of it never working, for previous gen hardware. Despite what everyone seems to think, they can't release a crippled app to people, because for everyone of us who will "understand" theres WAY more people out there who will have no clue about cars and don't surf sites like this and just tell everyone its complete shit because it doesn't work right 100% of the time.

The best is the fact it has such low review ratings of the marketplace, if you read the comments its a bunch of people who have specifically mentioned the 2010 Camaro as not working with it. The app says 2011, and it works great with those cars, they are not lying to you. Acting like a child is not going to get you anywhere, deal with it. I didn't realize our community could have such a huge bunch of cry babies.

I wonder, in a year or so when the SS has 20-50 more horsepower, is everyone going to whine that GM isn't upgrading their engine for free? Seriously!
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #310
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
Does gen 9 connect to a newer satellite or somehow have more badwidth available on their side of the system? Maybe its just that the 8 system couldnt handle the load of all of our cars pulling real time data??
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #311
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
The best is the fact it has such low review ratings of the marketplace, if you read the comments its a bunch of people who have specifically mentioned the 2010 Camaro as not working with it. The app says 2011, and it works great with those cars, they are not lying to you. Acting like a child is not going to get you anywhere, deal with it. I didn't realize our community could have such a huge bunch of cry babies.
I commented very nicely in the marketplace that it is a useless app.
When I downloaded the app it did not say specifically for 2011. It doesn't say 2011 in the video on Onstar's website, and only before you go and download it from onstars website you find it is very few models.

The other thing that gets me, is that the app will not format to the screen when I slide out the keyboard on my droid2. Legit critique on that one.

Had the app not done everything and just given me my onstar report with links to call or something it would be better than how it is now. Which is TOTALLY USELESS
Old 10-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #312
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I commented very nicely in the marketplace that it is a useless app.
When I downloaded the app it did not say specifically for 2011. It doesn't say 2011 in the video on Onstar's website, and only before you go and download it from onstars website you find it is very few models.

The other thing that gets me, is that the app will not format to the screen when I slide out the keyboard on my droid2. Legit critique on that one.

Had the app not done everything and just given me my onstar report with links to call or something it would be better than how it is now. Which is TOTALLY USELESS
I Just confirmed what I saw early morning yesterday when it was released, I wish I had a way to put a screenshot up but I don't.

Go to Android Marketplace you will see specifically in the description:

Quote:
.... Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, and GMC owners with 2011 model year eligible vehicles can use......
And on the website right under the picture when you click "Learn more" on the homepage banner about it:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/mobile

Quote:
The OnStar1 MyLink™ mobile app is available on select 2011 GM vehicles. Choose a brand below or click here to read our FAQ.
I don't know how much more clear that could be.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Last edited by Rogue Leader; 10-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #313
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
Does gen 9 connect to a newer satellite or somehow have more badwidth available on their side of the system? Maybe its just that the 8 system couldnt handle the load of all of our cars pulling real time data??
Definitely no different satellite, it does probably have something to do with the real time or polling for burst transmissions of real time data that the Gen 8 was not set up to do.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #314
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
All 2010 owners should cancel their subscription...

Onstar sux!

I don't expect them to ever fix it for the 2010 model year...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #315
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
That is not quite true. Having worked on OnStar with GM and on Lexus Enform (OnStar equiv) with Toyota, none of this is free. If you notice GM never uses the word "free" but instead use the words "at no extra charge", because technically you have already paid for the 1 year service in your 2010 Camaro. It's in the MSRP of the car. Now GM has increased the price of the 2011 Camaro but not by much, so they have decreased the OnStar service length to make up for the price difference in the new hardware (HUD and OnStar Gen 9).

Not being a smart ass here, but I was specifically told by a lawyer at Toyota to never use the word "Free" because that would be a lie.
So the car is more expensive but we get less onstar service? You seem to have made my point. 2010 owners got a better deal. My my real point is all the crying about this is a little embarrassing. All the indignant attitudes ("How dare they!"...seriously?) and the techno babble ("there is no reason this shouldn't work for the 2010's because blah blah blah" , as if you know what your talking about)

It's great to express your dislike for something but some of the rants on here are downright childish.
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #316
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
I Just confirmed what I saw early morning yesterday when it was released, I wish I had a way to put a screenshot up but I don't.

Go to Android Marketplace you will see specifically in the description:

And on the website right under the picture when you click "Learn more" on the homepage banner about it:

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/mobile

I don't know how much more clear that could be.

I should have explained that one a bit better. It didn't say either of those things when I first downloaded it on the 27th.
It was also not available on onstars website when this thread was first started.

I think all of the complaints and 1 star ratings prompted them to add these.

Watch their video and see no mention of 2011 model.

Regardless that doesn't change my opinion on the matter. If you have a 2010, or say a 2011 Malibu This APP right now is WORTHLESS.

The input of your password should be changed to rotate the screen when you slide out the keyboard.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #317
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
I should have explained that one a bit better. It didn't say either of those things when I first downloaded it.
It was also not available on onstars website when this thread was first started.

I think all of the complaints and 1 star ratings prompted them to add these.
While I didn't look at the onstar site until today I did check the marketplace and saw it right about the same time that everyone else noticed it and it said that. That was before there were any reviews. I looked back again later and saw the reviews which prompted my post. EVERY single article and press release about it has stated that only SOME 2011 model vehicles will be supported. Look back in the posts here if you don't believe me. Based upon that I would say maybe you just missed it, but it definitely said it.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #318
skuttduck

Quote:
While I didn't look at the onstar site until today I did check the marketplace and saw it right about the same time that everyone else noticed it and it said that. That was before there were any reviews. I looked back again later and saw the reviews which prompted my post. EVERY single article and press release about it has stated that only SOME 2011 model vehicles will be supported. Look back in the posts here if you don't believe me. Based upon that I would say maybe you just missed it, but it definitely said it.
So is it bad to give it an honest review of USELESS if you have a 2010 vehicle, and the fact the screen doesn't rotate?

I actually read it was for 2011 on this forum. Maybe you believe everything you read here on Camaro5, but I've seen some of the posts

When the description did not specifically say 2011, nor does the onstar promotional movie, I felt adding to the description that it is "Totally useless does not work with my 2010 Camaro, and the screen doesn't rotate when you pull out your keyboard" is not a harsh review, but totally accurate.

Had the app had more thought and gave users their latest onstar report I would have left it on the phone.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #319
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbs11 View Post
So the car is more expensive but we get less onstar service? You seem to have made my point. 2010 owners got a better deal. My my real point is all the crying about this is a little embarrassing. All the indignant attitudes ("How dare they!"...seriously?) and the techno babble ("there is no reason this shouldn't work for the 2010's because blah blah blah" , as if you know what your talking about)

It's great to express your dislike for something but some of the rants on here are downright childish.

Glad to see you and others also chiming in on the ridiculousness of a few of the members on here. I was worried people thought those reactions were warranted and acceptable.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #320
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
So is it bad to give it an honest review of USELESS if you have a 2010 vehicle, and the fact the screen doesn't rotate?

I actually read it was for 2011 on this forum. Maybe you believe everything you read here on Camaro5, but I've seen some of the posts

When the description did not specifically say 2011, nor does the onstar promotional movie, I felt adding to the description that it is "Totally useless does not work with my 2010 Camaro, and the screen doesn't rotate when you pull out your keyboard" is not a harsh review, but totally accurate.

Had the app had more thought and gave users their latest onstar report I would have left it on the phone.
Yes it is bad, because its a useless review. The app is not for your vehicle, its for a 2011 vehicle, therefore its useless to you but not to people who have what it was DESIGNED FOR. Its almost like bitching a game for the PC doesn't work on your Mac.

I believe barely anything on this forum because theres a lot of blah blah blah blah crap coming from people. The PRESS RELEASES that were available on news sites and here all stated 2011 only.

I can't comment on the movie, I can't watch it here at work. The fact that the screen doesn't rotate is lame but if the app actually did everything that would be a rare problem as you can likely set it to remain logged in like many other droid apps so you rarely see the login screen. It wasn't designed to give your latest report, or anything other than function with certain 2011 onstar equipped vehicles. Any review otherwise is a waste of space.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #321
bolteon593

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
True

Your comparisons are way off base, and do not apply here. Bluetooth was not as far into it's implementation when Windows 98 was released...
(Bluetooth was announced in 1994, but not until the last 8-10 years has it really been used by the masses)

Onstar communication from the car to the user was fully implemented in 2010... (i.e. the email diagnostics, ability to call Onstar and have them unlock your car etc.)
not sure how you managed to do it, but you completely missed my point.

good job in joining the stupidity.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #322
DragonCamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
Yeah making a review for an app you can't fully use is kind of like saying don't buy a game that is online only because it sucks even though you cant get online to try it out fully. But then again the 2010 is what saved Chevy...i may be crazy to say that but the sales alone for the 2010 Camaro gave them a nice boost to their income...so you would think they would add in the 2010. but if its because of "software" on the 2010 its not hard to update that because i don't think they changed the hardware for OnStar between years. Just like a lot of things on our cars you can update the software so i bet they will release a thing telling the 2010's to go get a software update from the dealers. just a possibility...
3300 : date unknown TPW 17 AUG 09
3400 : 17 AUG 09 3800 : 25 AUG 09 2G1FT1EW4A9139424
4000 :
4B00 :
4200 : 25 AUG 09 -- #ETTX820939
5000 : 4 SEP 09
DragonCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #323
bolteon593

Quote:
Definitely no different satellite, it does probably have something to do with the real time or polling for burst transmissions of real time data that the Gen 8 was not set up to do.
i'd also toss in that there's probably a good deal of a security upgrade and possibly some additional hardware encryption. thus the hardware being completely un-upgradeable.

most of these types of units aren't built with plug n play swap-ability. this isn't a computer, you cant just pull out your ecm like you would a video card and expect the latest and greatest after a restart.

and since most of you guys complaining are iphone people, did you even know when an app requests to use your information (like GPS location for example), it's not the app actually asking you but apple's servers?

the app sends a request to apple, who randomizes a request to you; which gets approved and then gets sent back to the app as a greenlight to poll your data.

most of you whining like high-schoolers dont even comprehend how much security there is involved in allowing a phone app to contact a car. personally, i'd be a bit concerned if functionality like this just worked magically on older hardware models of the onstar equipment; but luckily, GM employs engineers that know what they're doin. certainly not to try and **** those of us (at least me included prior to july of this year) who got a 2010 model camaro.

the number one reason why copy and paste took so long on the iphone was also, you guessed it; due to security concerns between apps.

might be about time you guys realize that while your great gear heads; you might not know everything. and there's nothing wrong with that, just dont look so immature stating it.

Tags
2011, app, chevrolet, iphone, onstar