Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

3rd Generation Camaros 1982-1992 Camaros

Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
92 Camaro Build

ok, so i finally got my new f-body. Starting with a 92 Camaro. My buddy Shawn and I had been hunting for the right f-body to start with for about a month. We had found some that were promising, but no one would respond to our inquiries on their ads. Well, we finally found the 92... I called the guy, and he said he hadnt really had any one interested in it. So Shawn and I jumped on it. I paid $1000 for the car, and at that price it was a steal! shawn did a bit of research on the VIN and the build plackard in the door jam, and we found something kinda odd... the Camaro was badged and sold as an RS, but the Vin and build code on the plackard say its a Z/28... apparently there were about 1500 of them that Chevrolet built that way in 92...
heres a link to the pics that i have so far, I'll keep updating the build log as time goes by... http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...0ROD%20HEAVEN/
any questions or comments are more than welcome!

Thanks, Rob

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.

Last edited by Shadow-phoenix; 03-16-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: fixed link
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
IROCTPI

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 305 TPI 700R4
nice score, but if im not mistaken I belive its a B4C camaro, in other words.... you have a retired police car. I may be wrong but I know thats what a B4C was, and camaro that was optioned as a z28 (5.0 or 5.7) but didnt have the emblems and usually not to many apperance/comfort options. Good luck on the build tho!

btw the link doesnt work...

Me -14! year old guy -- My Girl -1987 IROC-Z 305TPI 700R4 modded
IROCTPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Nice
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
sorry the link didnt work. heres some before pics
Attached Images

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
looks like you got a very nice deal.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

yes i did. i also scored a killer deal on the motor i bought for it. originally a 327 from a 68 Corvette, its been bored .040 over, and has a 3.75" Crank in it now. not 100% sure on the cam, but i should be looking at close to 475 horsepower, and about 530 torque. I've got an idea for rebadging it, but not sure i'm gonna put that all over the outside of the car.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

picked out the rims i plan on getting after i get the money saved up for them.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

i'm going to have a buddy of mine do a transparent black powder coat over the chrome, and possibly do a red lip, not 100% sure yet.
just need the spacers for them, and they should look pretty killer after all is said and done

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Gsmith8451

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS
YEP B4C for sure

Yep, you have a B4C I know because I have the same car, and if it is metalic blue consider yourself lucky because when I had mine appraised there were only three left that were even on the road and still being driven. The story behind these cars is they were manufactured for law enforcement departments but at the last minute some states decided to go with the Crown Vic, so Chevy pulled the performance chip and sold them to the general public. I have put in the original chip and all I can say is it will give a Z a run for its money, because in fact that is what it is, it's just not badged. Also try and keep the 25th aniversary emblem on the dash it adds value. I have had mine totaly restored and it only has 90,000 miles on it and still going strong. One thing I would recommend is keeping those rims, they are extremely hard to find anymore. Good luck with the car, I know I enjoy mine.

P.S There is a picture of mine with our new 2010 camaro down a bit in this forum under "my camaros"
Gsmith8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
cruznls
cruznls

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I had no idea that police cars came with T-Tops........
What a great deal....

** Thank You for your Service **
cruznls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
What a great deal!!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

well, my rim choice is out the window, but i have a new option. Pending approval from my inspection of them, i may be trading a TH350 tranny, and the 305 from the camaro for a set of C5 Z06 type rims, 17x8.5 front, and 18x10.5 rears. (the motorsport version from corvetteguys.com in black with chrome lip). i know i'm going to need spacers to get them to fit on the stock set-up, but i plan on getting a 4th gen rear end to swap in... next step after the rims is to look into suspension stuff. 2 inch drop maybe...

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

bought a 4th gen disc brake rear today on ebay (i think its got 3.23 gears in it). cant wait to get it installed with the rest of the new drivetrain!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #13
KMK454

Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow-phoenix View Post
ok, so i finally got my new f-body. Starting with a 92 Camaro. My buddy Shawn and I had been hunting for the right f-body to start with for about a month. We had found some that were promising, but no one would respond to our inquiries on their ads. Well, we finally found the 92... I called the guy, and he said he hadnt really had any one interested in it. So Shawn and I jumped on it. I paid $1000 for the car, and at that price it was a steal! shawn did a bit of research on the VIN and the build plackard in the door jam, and we found something kinda odd... the Camaro was badged and sold as an RS, but the Vin and build code on the plackard say its a Z/28... apparently there were about 1500 of them that Chevrolet built that way in 92...
heres a link to the pics that i have so far, I'll keep updating the build log as time goes by... http://s1223.photobucket.com/albums/...0ROD%20HEAVEN/
any questions or comments are more than welcome!

Thanks, Rob
Looking at your photos, it seems your car may not be a B4C. I say this because you have t-tops, no visible rear disc brakes, and your engine doesn't look like an LB9 or L98 TPI. However, it's possible that things have been switched out and changed.

However, here's how you can prove it was a B4C: open the rear hatch, open the small key-locked compartment on your left, and look at the RPO Code sticker. You should see at least three things: B4C and FLT. B4C is the special service package and FLT is for a fleet vehicle. Also, in the upper right, you will have 1FP87, denoting an 8 cylinder Z28 car. Finally, you will have Y86 denoting the RS appearance package.

The B4C was introduced in 1991 and carried on through 2002. There were under 1000 made in 1991 and 1992 (592 in 1991, not sure on the exact number in 1992). In 1991, about half of the B4Cs came with 1LE. In 1992, all B4C cars received the 1LE RPO code, given the cars upgraded brakes. No B4Cs came with t-tops.

My 3rd gen was a B4C fleet car that never saw service. It is a non-1LE. The best way to describe it is a Z28 car in RS clothing. It has the LB9 TPI motor, T5 trans, J65 4-wheel discs, heavy duty rear axle, 16" wheels with 245/50/16 tires, and the FE2 suspension.

1978 Chevrolet Silverado
2005 Corvette Z51 6-speed - sold
2008 Corvette Z06 - sold
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
ScottZ28

Drives: 10 RS-71 Z28 RS-97 30th Anniv Z28
Seeing that the passenger side door has been changed, maybe that's what happened with the drivers side door. That might explain the Z28 code. You might have a door from a wrecked Z28. Does the vin on the dash match the vin on the door?
ScottZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

the drivers door is original to the car, and the white door was a temp. fix by the previous owner until the original door could be fixed (had an issue with the window motor, and couldn't get it fixed). i'm not too worried about whether it's a B4C or not, my buddy looked up some of the history of the car, i'm not sure what his findings were...

engine and tranny are out, hood is off, and audio is being gutted... the '68 327 vette motor is going in with a beefed up 700R4, and a 4th gen rear is being installed as well (3.23 gears instead of the stock 2.93's) and finally, my new head unit should be in in about a week, and then it just needs to be installed with the rest of my audio stuff.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
cruznls
cruznls

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
The 8th number in the VIN will tell you what engine came with the car.
Strut brace & Sub frame connectors are a must with a built motor & T-tops...
cruznls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #17
drknow90rs

Drives: '90 RS 427ci LS-1, '86 IROC 305 TPI
I recommend the weld-in subframe connectors, with a built motor on these cars. Nice looking car! Are you on www.thirdgen.org? It's about the best place for research when it comes to your 4thgen rear and the spacers needed for different wheel fitment. Whats wrong with your current axle? Most of the parts are interchangable with your thirdgen axle tube (Providing it's a 10 bolt and not a 9 bolt.) I say this because the 4thgen axle is wider than the thirdgen axle. If you are just looking for the disc brakes, then swap them out with the ones you have on the 4thgen axle. I kept the RS badges on my '90 because I wanted more of a "sleeper" look.
drknow90rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

nothing wrong with the current rear, just wanted the wider stance on the rear tires, i am on TGO. and i've done my research on the spacers and such...

Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #19
drknow90rs

Ah, good to hear it!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #20
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Ordering Yonaka Racing seats this week, black synthetic leather i think... not 100% sure. i've seen pics of them in C5 Corvettes, so if they are "good" enough for a vette, they are good enough for me... and my Camaro... also getting harnesses for it. only 70 more days til i'm home... cant wait

Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I still think you will end up spending alot more starting from scratch than to buy my complete running car for $5500, and it runs 11.40's at 124mph on drag radials, all motor.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
If it's a b4c car you will have big ass brakes in the front, disc in the rear and a tpi engine. It's a real pain to swap to throttle body injection from tuned port. The engine harnesses are different. I know this for a fact, my buddy had a true b4c car and I converted his harness to run a tbi style plug....Haltech only offered a tbi style programmable ECM. I've in fact done several of these swaps and ECM installs. The car above is not a b4c car. O, they don't have t tops either.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #23
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

this isn't necessarily build related, but i though id post it here anyway... i'm gonna be picking up a 2010 or 2011 SS/RS sometime in the next 2 months... i cant wait! the 92 is NOT going to be for sale, I will be finishing it exactly the way i wanted to.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #24
drknow90rs

Right on! I'm waiting til the '12 models come out. (I want a Z-28 'vert.)
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #25
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

pretty much settled on a 2011 2SS/RS, black with red stripes, red and black leather interior... 6 speed of course... gonna see what the new day brings... hoping to talk the salesman down a bit on it...