Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post

Thanks, we have a DIY for the application of the bowties on Camaro5 here in case anybody missed it. They are a pretty simple DIY. We don't have any current plans for precutting them as it really in easier for this particular application to use a larger sheet.
The reason i ask about pre cutting is i want to use it on some areas other than the bowties. I can manage the bowties fine. But i would not try to cut this stuff on the car for any other area. For example, if someone wanted to use it to make stripes (not that thats what i want to do) how would you go about cutting it?
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
burntOmaro
Bye Bye GD

Drives: 2015 AGM SS (Everyday=1 day closer)
I just ordered a sample to try out. Can't wait to see this stuff. Might be ordering quite a bit from you guys.

2010 CGM 2SS RS. Atomic Orange Metallic Stripes. Corsa Cat-Back. MGW Short-Throw. H&R Springs. AAC Halo/Fogs. 20" Havoc Wheels. SRP Pedals. RX Catch Can. Kicker L7 & Amp in Subthump Stealth. Garys Custom Fenders. Roto-Fab CAI. Pfadt Trailing Arms.
burntOmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #28
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
The reason i ask about pre cutting is i want to use it on some areas other than the bowties. I can manage the bowties fine. But i would not try to cut this stuff on the car for any other area. For example, if someone wanted to use it to make stripes (not that thats what i want to do) how would you go about cutting it?
A lot of the interior and exterior trim are best installed with the pieces removed from the vehicle. For said trim pieces cutting is done with a sharp razor knife either flush with an edge or wrapped to the back side depending on the application. Generally speaking you want / need a larger piece than what you are going to cover to adequately work, pull, and stretch the material. There are only a limited number of things that could be done in a pre-cut fashion, most do lend themselves to using a larger sheet as shown in the bow tie tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntOmaro View Post
I just ordered a sample to try out. Can't wait to see this stuff. Might be ordering quite a bit from you guys.
Thanks, the sample should go out tomorrow!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #29
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
As far as impact resistance goes, it is going to be better than nothing as far as protecting the paint goes, but it is not as strong as paint protection film - it was designed as a wrap material not as paint protection. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
from what i was told, the clear paint protection film, 3m in particular, turns yellow after time.. so i may order a sheet for my roof, depends on how i feel about spending $147 and getting pissed when it doesnt come out right.. lol
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #30
ZX1truth

Drives: SS2
I'm a 100% CF guy via my 300ZX show car. But this is the best "look alike" CF I've seen. I will be ordering the sample to test. If it is good we may be doing some biz boys!

God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #31
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Quote:
A lot of the interior and exterior trim are best installed with the pieces removed from the vehicle. For said trim pieces cutting is done with a sharp razor knife either flush with an edge or wrapped to the back side depending on the application. Generally speaking you want / need a larger piece than what you are going to cover to adequately work, pull, and stretch the material. There are only a limited number of things that could be done in a pre-cut fashion, most do lend themselves to using a larger sheet as shown in the bow tie tutorial.
how would you go about doing something like this. The area in black on the spoiler is the part i want to cover.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
I'm a 100% CF guy via my 300ZX show car. But this is the best "look alike" CF I've seen. I will be ordering the sample to test. If it is good we may be doing some biz boys!
Thanks, your sample is going out today. Hope you like it.

Quote:
how would you go about doing something like this. The area in black on the spoiler is the part i want to cover.
Can't really tell what the area is from the photo. Was it just an area you photoshopped on the spoiler or some sort of filler? As far as doing all or part of the spoiler goes, removing it is going to make things easier. If the area is just a portion of an area you can make your own template using wide painters tape, a sharpie, and scissors. You can transfer it to some paper etc and cut with a scissors until you get the desired shape then cut it out from the material. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
from what i was told, the clear paint protection film, 3m in particular, turns yellow after time.. so i may order a sheet for my roof, depends on how i feel about spending $147 and getting pissed when it doesn't come out right.. lol
Somebody else sent an email about doing the roof yesterday. Removing the antenna is going to make things easier. I searched Camaro5 and found this thread about removing the antenna - complete with video
Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #33
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Quote:

Can't really tell what the area is from the photo. Was it just an area you photoshopped on the spoiler or some sort of filler? As far as doing all or part of the spoiler goes, removing it is going to make things easier. If the area is just a portion of an area you can make your own template using wide painters tape, a sharpie, and scissors. You can transfer it to some paper etc and cut with a scissors until you get the desired shape then cut it out from the material. Hope that helps.

[/URL]
yes, the area in the middle of the spoiler that is black, its photoshopped on.

it seems making my own template is prob the only way to do it, i just dont like the method of cutting anything by hand as there is almost no precision that way. I dont want it to look like it was hand cut, i want it perfect.

So this question, not just to you but anyone who can answer. how do shops do this type of stuff? Are they doing the same thing, putting down tape and cutting it with razors while its on the car? Seems like a really bad way of doing things.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #34
HeadlightArmor

You would make the template outline on the painters tape then remove the tape and make your harder template - noting cutting on your car. You can then fine tune your template making it as even as possible. You can use a pencil and a compass to follow the arc of the spoiler then all you need to match are the radius's at the ends.

How do shops do it? there are lots of ways to do it, it really depends on preference and what you are going to do with it in the end. If you need hundreds of them you would digitize and test, test, test. And yes some vinyl shops would just lay it down and trim away. Some do a good job and some don't.

What I posted is a straight forward DIY that can yield good results with some attention to detail and patience. Hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #35
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:

Somebody else sent an email about doing the roof yesterday. Removing the antenna is going to make things easier. I searched Camaro5 and found this thread about removing the antenna - complete with video
this would be going on my Dakota.. no antenna
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #36
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

well i just got my sample in the mail today. This stuff is awesome, catches the light really nicely. Definitely gonna order some to replace the vinyl i have on my bowties now and hopefully order some bigger sheets later once i figure out a good way to make a template.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #37
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Do you know how much would i need to order to wrap the rear diffuser?
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #38
Allen English
Every day is a happy day

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS BLK/BLK
Thanks - I got my sample too.

I will try and clear coat it with some of the left over clear in the day or so.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 Black on Black
2002 S10 PickUp
2007 Victory Red SS Cobalt "For Sale, My wife wants a Chevrolet Volt"
Allen English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #39
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
well i just got my sample in the mail today. This stuff is awesome, catches the light really nicely. Definitely gonna order some to replace the vinyl i have on my bowties now and hopefully order some bigger sheets later once i figure out a good way to make a template.
Thanks for the tips.
Glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Do you know how much would i need to order to wrap the rear diffuser?
Not sure how well it would work for that, or how big a piece you would need. Not sure if it could be done seamelssly given the sharp transitions. Generally speaking you would need to measure the max length and width - adding a bit for handling - to see how much you would need. The next time we are at the dealer I will take a look at it closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen English View Post
Thanks - I got my sample too.

I will try and clear coat it with some of the left over clear in the day or so.
Not sure how that would work, might be interesting though.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #40
HeadlightArmor

Post Wrapped a Wireless Evoluent™ VerticalMouse™ 3 in 3D Carbon Fiber Wrap

Wrapped a Wireless Evoluent™ VerticalMouse™ 3 in 3D Carbon Fiber Wrap

Going on

Done!

Great use of some leftovers from a project or on its own with one of our small sheets!

As always let us know what you think and if you have any questions.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #41
burntOmaro
Bye Bye GD

Drives: 2015 AGM SS (Everyday=1 day closer)
Quote:
Wrapped a Wireless Evoluent™ VerticalMouse™ 3 in 3D Carbon Fiber Wrap

Going on

Done!

Great use of some leftovers from a project or on its own with one of our small sheets!

As always let us know what you think and if you have any questions.
You just made that look so easy

PS: Thanks for getting the sample out quickly! I've got lots of interior pieces I'm wanting to cover. Also, are y'all planning on making this in other colors besides the gray/black?

2010 CGM 2SS RS. Atomic Orange Metallic Stripes. Corsa Cat-Back. MGW Short-Throw. H&R Springs. AAC Halo/Fogs. 20" Havoc Wheels. SRP Pedals. RX Catch Can. Kicker L7 & Amp in Subthump Stealth. Garys Custom Fenders. Roto-Fab CAI. Pfadt Trailing Arms.
burntOmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #42
HeadlightArmor

Well the mouse was pretty easy, minimal heat and just press the material on by hand. Heat the perimeter and trim using the contour line on the mouse and roll.

Not sure what the future plans are for this. I guess it depends on how popular it is
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #43
HeadlightArmor

All the weekend Free sample orders are on their way via USPS First Class Mail

We received a variety of email questions about the Carbon film over the weekend and thought we should share some of them.

Q. What size do I need for my roof?
Quote:
Update: I just measured the roof of the Camaro for those that are interested, I am not surprised you has so much trouble with 3M's material. 3M is limited to 48 inches wide where ours comes 54" wide, and by our standards 48" wide would not be wide enough to adequately work with the material on a Camaro roof application.

The necessary size is 54" wide by 60" (5 feet) long
Q. How thick is the material?
A. 7-8mil -- approximately 2 sheets of copy paper for comparisons sake

Q. Is it printed?
A. No. It is an embossed 3 dimensional material

Q. If I am applying to my car should I / do I have to remove what I am applying it to first? And a related question. Do I wrap the material to the back side of what I am covering or do I trim it flush with the edge?
A. For both it depends on what you are covering. For this once chrome grill surround we both removed it from the vehicle first and wrapped the material to the back side.

This was dictated by its profile and the location of the edges on the car.

For a radio surround removal from the vehicle is preferred to allow for easier application around raised buttons and knobs. Depending on location the edges would either be trimmed flush or wrapped.

Some accent trim can be adequately installed and edges trimmed flush with the pieces still attached to the vehicle.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #44
HeadlightArmor

A few more emailed questions.

Q. How is the material applied?
A. It is applied dry. The adhesive has air release channels allowing a bubble free application. For all but the larges pieces ie a hood or roof the bulk of if not all of the install is done by hand. The material does need to be warmed to be applied on compound surfaces. The above grill surround was done entirely by hand. Soft cotton gloves can help.

Q. Do I need a heat gun to apply?
A. Generally speaking, yes. While a hair dryer might work it isn't really going to be as effective at warming a larger area. When going over a concave surface the material is placed over the depression and the area that you are going to press down into, the material is warmed to between 40° and 50°C (104 and 122°F) and pressed down. Once the area is done you reheat all the areas which underwent heavy deformation to between 80° and 90°C (176 and 194°F) to thermo form the product definitively.

Q. If I want a large roll how much is shipping to xxxxx?
A. As with the items on the rest of the site, all orders over $75 ship domestically for free! For everything else you can use the shipping calculator that will appear onthe right side of the site once there is an item in the cart. Enter your shipping zip code and submit and the site will show the least expensive shipping method's price.

If you have any questions let us know. You can either post here, pm or use the contact us form on the site.

Totally Free sample here (including shipping)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #45
HeadlightArmor

A few people thus far have asked about applying an automotive clear coat to this. For those that have asked we didn't think it would likely work though we had yet to try it. One of our customers tried applying automotive clear coat to the free sample and reported back. He said it did work though doesn't recommend it. He reported back that the material held up fine. It just lost the dimensional look and darkened.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #46
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Quote:
A few people thus far have asked about applying an automotive clear coat to this. For those that have asked we didn't think it would likely work though we had yet to try it. One of our customers tried applying automotive clear coat to the free sample and reported back. He said it did work though doesn't recommend it. He reported back that the material held up fine. It just lost the dimensional look and darkened.
It does darken but it also make it a lot brighter in the sun light. I think it looks more real with a couple coats of clear.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #47
HeadlightArmor

Cool, thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #48
SupremacyCustoms

Drives: black 2010 2ss/rs camaro
Very nice guys a great way to add CF to your car with out breaking the bank!
SupremacyCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #49
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

do you guys by any chance have this same material in flat black?
Im going to grab some of the CF material, but i also need flat black and would like to order from the same place if possible.

thanks.

expect nothing, but take everything
Old 11-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #50
HeadlightArmor

Sorry it isn't available in a flat black. All we have available is the black carbon fiber material.