Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Gaming Lounge For all the gamers out there - consoles, PC, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Xbox connect for the 360, you are the controller

Xbox connect for the 360, you are the controller

Just saw the commercial again, no controller, you just jump around n move and it controls the game???
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,370
It's called Kinect. Basically, a camera sits in front of your tv and turns your body movements into graphic movements on-screen. I'm curious to see how well it actually works, although I don't have a 360.

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 7,807
It's more like a very advanced version of the playstations eyetoy. It's not for me. I'm sure it will do great with older people and kids.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
I kinda don't see it, old folks n kids buy WIIs
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 7,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
I kinda don't see it, old folks n kids buy WIIs
They aren't even buying those anymore. Nintendo just had their first bad qtr in years. I think the Wii has run it's course. The Xbox and PS3 are now offering their own motion tech which will take away the only thing the Wii had going for it. And they will be doing it in an arguably better way. (at least as far as accuracy) In the end I see both the Kinnect and the PS Move failing. It's a niche and I think it's getting old.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,213
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online. The first couple games that come to mind.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter
Crossover (tekken vs. street fighter, TvC, MvC, CvS etc.)

Racing games:
Forza
Gran Turismo
PGR

RTS:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Command and Conquer

First person shooter:
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
etc.

With the kinect or move, how are you supposed to play these games well?


How do you plan to do a dragon punch (Shoryuken) without a controller? How about blocking?

Neither is going to be able to tell the pitch of your foot for the "accelerator" pedal if it changes by a degree or two, so you'll mostly have a couple levels of throttle and won't be able to upshift/downshift with any sort of speed as they recognize you going forward and back only.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, you'll never be able to play a RTS even 1/10th as well as with a keyboard/mouse combo. You need so many hot keys that there's just no way in hell you'll be able to have fun with a RTS game on these.

Finally comes FPS. How would you reload? How would you go prone? how would you aim? How about grenade? turn on your flash light/laser equipped to the gun? how about calling in an air strike for CoD? etc. etc. etc.



Kinect and Move will be great for relaxing/party games, but not much else. It'll be a fun "accessory" but you can bet that they're not going to move away from controllers in the future.

They only game that I've heard about that would be fun to be competitive on is the Playstation 3's ping pong game for the Move.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online. The first couple games that come to mind.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter
Crossover (tekken vs. street fighter, TvC, MvC, CvS etc.)

Racing games:
Forza
Gran Turismo
PGR

RTS:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Command and Conquer

First person shooter:
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
etc.

With the kinect or move, how are you supposed to play these games well?


How do you plan to do a dragon punch (Shoryuken) without a controller? How about blocking?

Neither is going to be able to tell the pitch of your foot for the "accelerator" pedal if it changes by a degree or two, so you'll mostly have a couple levels of throttle and won't be able to upshift/downshift with any sort of speed as they recognize you going forward and back only.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, you'll never be able to play a RTS even 1/10th as well as with a keyboard/mouse combo. You need so many hot keys that there's just no way in hell you'll be able to have fun with a RTS game on these.

Finally comes FPS. How would you reload? How would you go prone? how would you aim? How about grenade? turn on your flash light/laser equipped to the gun? how about calling in an air strike for CoD? etc. etc. etc.



Kinect and Move will be great for relaxing/party games, but not much else. It'll be a fun "accessory" but you can bet that they're not going to move away from controllers in the future.

They only game that I've heard about that would be fun to be competitive on is the Playstation 3's ping pong game for the Move.
I think COD: Black Ops will have move support, so it is possible to have FPS with motion control. I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and it was one of the best games that I have played on the Wii. To aim, you point the main control toward the screen and a red dot (like a laser sight) appears where you are aiming. To reload, I think you had to shake the controller. Since you're moving with the control stick, the buttons on the d-pad can be used for single button commands.

I don't think all games will be able to utilize motion control, that's why the systems will continue to standard controls.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I think COD: Black Ops will have move support, so it is possible to have FPS with motion control. I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and it was one of the best games that I have played on the Wii. To aim, you point the main control toward the screen and a red dot (like a laser sight) appears where you are aiming. To reload, I think you had to shake the controller. Since you're moving with the control stick, the buttons on the d-pad can be used for single button commands.

I don't think all games will be able to utilize motion control, that's why the systems will continue to standard controls.
I agree with you and the move is at the advantage here, but xbox is SoL. :(

I'm fine with standard controls anyways.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
A review on MSNBC said that it doesn't work well in small rooms or if anyone else is moving in the room. Which that last one is probably expected since it just tracks movement.

only games they have show is that dance game, which is hella dumb.

Spend $400 to dance in your living room.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Big Brunsy


 
Big Brunsy's Avatar
 
Drives: Silverado
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Le Mars, Iowa
Posts: 2,291
Even on the Wii I still used the classic controller on most motion games....This is one thing i'll never have. You will never get the precision of your controller. Plus, what fun is jumpping around when you just wanna sit in your recliner, relax, and kill some stuff?
__________________
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,431
3D and motion controlled Video Games are two technologies I wish would go away!
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Big Brunsy


 
Big Brunsy's Avatar
 
Drives: Silverado
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Le Mars, Iowa
Posts: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
3D and motion controlled Video Games are two technologies I wish would go away!

__________________
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #13
v6sonoma


 
v6sonoma's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 7,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online.
You know you bring up an interesting point I haven't thought of that helps Sony and Microsoft. The Wii's online capabilities suck. Sure you get get games and Netflix but aside from that it's pretty borked. I can see them capitalizing on their vastly superior online components to make a case for some of the games. In the end I still think they'll die out. Like I've said before if they don't stuff it in the box with the console people won't buy it, because developers want to make games that they can sell tons of and wasting money developing a game for a limited market isn't a wise decision. So unless tons of people buy them the games wont come. At best games will have half done tacked on features that utilize them and no one's gonna buy them just for that.
__________________

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Senojelyk
 
Senojelyk's Avatar
 
Drives: '95 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I think COD: Black Ops will have move support, so it is possible to have FPS with motion control. I played Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and it was one of the best games that I have played on the Wii. To aim, you point the main control toward the screen and a red dot (like a laser sight) appears where you are aiming. To reload, I think you had to shake the controller. Since you're moving with the control stick, the buttons on the d-pad can be used for single button commands.

I don't think all games will be able to utilize motion control, that's why the systems will continue to standard controls.
I haven't heard anything about Black Ops getting move support.. but I could be wrong. I know Killzone 3 will get it, MAG already has it.. SOCOM will get it too... and I saw video of someone playing that with the move...really precise and actually from that guy's opinion was better then a Dualshock.

Theres one big thing that the Move has that allows FPS games to be possible with it.. the navigation controller, which allows you to move around easily plus the move itself has 6 buttons on it, not including select/start.

Really it all comes down to personal preference.. Time Crisis in the movie theater's was hella fun to play.. that experience has yet to make it to the ps3 (Time crisis: raising storm is terrible btw) but once a developer puts the game out there it can be duplicated, even 1 up-ed. The bad thing is, when I play FPS I like sitting on my couch relaxing, not moving around aiming at stuffs..

IMHO I think the move is going to win out vs. the Kinect. The kinect has lots of issues with playability unless you have a perfect room for it. It is a fun thing to not use a controller, but playing ping pong on the move is so accurate its crazy.. especially on the harder difficulty. That precision is hard to beat without something in your hand.

Just my .02
__________________

One day I will own a Camaro... One day.
Senojelyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Hmmmm

Didn't Nintendo buy out Sega???

Just saw a commercial for a new Sonic game only on the 360 with Kinect
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Hmmmm

Didn't Nintendo buy out Sega???

Just saw a commercial for a new Sonic game only on the 360 with Kinect
I think Sega is it's own company, but I might be wrong... They are considered a "third-party" software developer, making games across different gaming platforms.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
Hmmmm

Didn't Nintendo buy out Sega???

Just saw a commercial for a new Sonic game only on the 360 with Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I think Sega is it's own company, but I might be wrong... They are considered a "third-party" software developer, making games across different gaming platforms.
Yes, Sega is just a third-party developer now, they make games for any/all consoles.
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Rshep
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 106
My room mate went out and bought the Kinect Xbox... I gotta say I'm impressed with it and will be getting it around christmas hopefully. here is another video that shows a lot of cool features such as facial recognigition

__________________
Rshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
Jay_LHD3

 
Jay_LHD3's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 1,955


__________________
Jay_LHD3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #20
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Yes, Sega is just a third-party developer now, they make games for any/all consoles.
I thought Nintendo owned all that too, when they bought out Sega the first thing that came out was Mario vs Sonic games

Maybe only at first they were limited on to which console they could write Sonic games for????

If not that was Dumb of them, first thing I would of done is flood the market will cross platform Sonic games as folks liked that little blue guy.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Whiting Field
Posts: 14,219
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
The only problem with kinect and move is that it's going to be very hard to be competitive with games. A majority of people buy games to compete online. The first couple games that come to mind.

Fighting games:
Street Fighter
Crossover (tekken vs. street fighter, TvC, MvC, CvS etc.)

Racing games:
Forza
Gran Turismo
PGR

RTS:
Starcraft
Warcraft
Command and Conquer

First person shooter:
Halo
Call of Duty
Gears of War
etc.

With the kinect or move, how are you supposed to play these games well?


How do you plan to do a dragon punch (Shoryuken) without a controller? How about blocking?

Neither is going to be able to tell the pitch of your foot for the "accelerator" pedal if it changes by a degree or two, so you'll mostly have a couple levels of throttle and won't be able to upshift/downshift with any sort of speed as they recognize you going forward and back only.

Unless you have a touch screen TV, you'll never be able to play a RTS even 1/10th as well as with a keyboard/mouse combo. You need so many hot keys that there's just no way in hell you'll be able to have fun with a RTS game on these.

Finally comes FPS. How would you reload? How would you go prone? how would you aim? How about grenade? turn on your flash light/laser equipped to the gun? how about calling in an air strike for CoD? etc. etc. etc.



Kinect and Move will be great for relaxing/party games, but not much else. It'll be a fun "accessory" but you can bet that they're not going to move away from controllers in the future.

They only game that I've heard about that would be fun to be competitive on is the Playstation 3's ping pong game for the Move.
The support is going to be so limited that this is going to get no use.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #22
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
I thought Nintendo owned all that too, when they bought out Sega the first thing that came out was Mario vs Sonic games

Maybe only at first they were limited on to which console they could write Sonic games for????

If not that was Dumb of them, first thing I would of done is flood the market will cross platform Sonic games as folks liked that little blue guy.
Before the Mario vs Sonic games, there were quite a few Sonic games that that were made across all platforms starting with the nintendo Gamecube, Microsoft Xbox, and Playstation 2. The first Sonic game to be open to all consoles was in 2003, and the first Mario vs Sonic was released in 2007.

Mario vs Sonic olympic game was made by Sega and they received special permission to include Mario in the game. However, it could only be released on the nintendo platforms because Mario is a Nintendo exclusive character.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
3D and motion controlled Video Games are two technologies I wish would go away!
I disagree, at least on the motion control standpoint.

Yes, at the moment motion control cannot fully replace a controller because it's not accurate enough to detect fine motor control, but the potential is there to reach that level of accuracy at some point in the future. But those advancements will never come about if we drop the technology now, while its still in its infant stages.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #24
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer
 
2ndgenz28's Avatar
 
Drives: All Black
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NWO Toledo Area
Posts: 4,761
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I disagree, at least on the motion control standpoint.

Yes, at the moment motion control cannot fully replace a controller because it's not accurate enough to detect fine motor control, but the potential is there to reach that level of accuracy at some point in the future. But those advancements will never come about if we drop the technology now, while its still in its infant stages.
- X
Im sure by summer time we will have games that use both motion control and a controller of some type. Which will be better in the long run.

I could see some cool combat stuff with both motion and a controller.
Letting body movement do half the work.

Where the other systems are limited to just a controller.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #25
Jay_LHD3

 
Jay_LHD3's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Georgia
Posts: 1,955
I've heard that the next Ghost Recon is going to use hand signals to direct your AI team around. Since I sit 4 feet from my tv I won't be able to use it.
__________________
Jay_LHD3 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling my XBOX 360 PRO Dave McFly Members Classifieds - Non-Automotive 0 06-19-2010 02:33 PM
anybody want a less than month old xbox 360? Dave McFly Members Classifieds - Non-Automotive 11 07-03-2009 12:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.