Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Detail Spray

I use Adams Detail spray on my car to clean off little bits of dirt or a dead bug here or there. However, I am not sure exactly what it is and what it is made for. It seems to make the car look better if you use a little after washing.

Can anyone tell me the theory behind Detail spray?
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
You're pretty much using it right. you can use it right before you dry the car. and after you wash the car to give it a nise finish.

Also you might want to use the waterless car wash for the dead bugs and such.

But I use the detail spary right before I dry off the car and again after the car is dry.

it seems to really work best after the car has been clayed, polished then waxed. Seems to make the wax last a lot longer.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Uncle Harvey

I like to understand the theory behind a product. This helps you understand when and where to use it.

Last edited by Uncle Harvey; 10-31-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
I like to use detail spray when I arrive at a car show. It removes the fine layer of contaminants that have got onto the car. It also helps as a drying agent after you have washed the car.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Perhaps someone could tell me why Z6 smells so good?

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
Uncle Harvey

The Z6 smeels so good so you will like it and buy more of it. Maybe someone should make a womans perfume that smells like detail spray.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
mikey8

Drives: 2SS/RS Transformer LS3
Also, while still wet before drying, when sprayed, you'll notice that the water just runs off. It seems to help with hard water too!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Also checkout Adams website. There are some really good videos there on how they use their whole system.

Good stuff.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Well I see detail spray as a lubricant. Obviously used when claybarring, but basically anytime you want to wipe something off with a wet cloth, just use detailspray instead of water =p

I soak bird poo with detail spray before i wipe it off.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Do you still use your drying towel with this stuff or will it contaminate my nice soft brand new towel?
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Do you still use your drying towel with this stuff or will it contaminate my nice soft brand new towel?
I've heard of people using it with their drying towels, but if you have white towels, it will turn them pink. It doesn't harm the towel though.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Does it wash out? What is that stuff actually?
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2010 Camaro# 8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Yeah, does anyone have an actual answer or just more comments on how great it is. I think I saw a wash someplace that can be diluted to make detail spray,

#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |

My Journal: Erick’s Mistress
efpardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

I sent a PM to the Adams guys here on the site.

I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.

Otherwise their website is full of good information with videos and a very informative forum.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by efpardo View Post
Yeah, does anyone have an actual answer or just more comments on how great it is. I think I saw a wash someplace that can be diluted to make detail spray,
Yeah it is called ONR- Optimum No Rinse. And to answer one of the questions, it is used to bring the look back wax after you wash it or the look has faded without having to rewax the car.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Uncle Harvey

I am glad to see all of this discusion. It seems we all know how to use it. I just would like to know how it interacts with the paint.

When you understand the principles behind something you can make better uses of it. For instance a few months ago I knew nothing about washing a car. Now I am allways thinking of ways to prevent dirt from making swirl marks when washing my car. Its a lot better to understand how swirl marks are made than to know to use the two bucket method.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
good thread started by Uncle 'Hepcat' Harvey...

I too wonder about the theory behind the 'detail' spray...... I'll keep my eye on this one..

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM   #18
Uncle Harvey

I am gona have to look that up to find out what is involved with being a Hepcat. If its a lot of work, count me out. LOL
Old 10-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #19
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
I am glad to see all of this discusion. It seems we all know how to use it. I just would like to know how it interacts with the paint.

When you understand the principles behind something you can make better uses of it. For instance a few months ago I knew nothing about washing a car. Now I am allways thinking of ways to prevent dirt from making swirl marks when washing my car. Its a lot better to understand how swirl marks are made than to know to use the two bucket method.
BAM! A main who's mind works EXACTLY like my own! I am totally stoked to see someone else thinking this way.

First, for everyone else in the thread who does not understand what the OP is asking, here's the deal. The OP doesn't want to know HOW to use detail spray, he wants to know WHAT IT DOES. If he has an understanding of what it does, then he can make an informed decision as to when and how he should use it. That's what he means by having a understanding of the theory behind the product. This same line of thinking is so true with anything, but one example I love to use is mathematics.

If you completely understand basic mathematics and know that V divided by I = R (where V=10, I=5 and r=2), then given any of those two variables, you can easily find the third. If given V & R, you can easily find I using simple division. You don't have to memorize how to find I because you understand the theory behind basic division. With that understanding, memorization of the formula is not necessary as you will immediately know when division is necessary in that equation. Because you understand the theory behind the equation, you will always be able to find the third variable when given any of the other two. This is what is called understanding the theory behind the equation and it is very true with detailing. If you totally understand what a product does, then there will be no question in your mind as to when and how or why to use it. That my friends is the way you become an expert in detailing. Kudos to you OP!

Now let's answer your question (I know, it's about time ).Detail Spray is NOT a one purpose product and it does absolutely nothing as far as interacting with the paint. It acts as a lubricant, it acts as a shine enhancer, it acts as a polish rejuvenater, it acts as a protectant and it acts as a cleaner. The way it does most of that list is because it is a "wet liquid". The protection part has to do with how it is manufactured which of course is not something Adam's is going to divulge. So unlike a lot of products which have a specific purpose and the makeup of the product explains how they do what they do (SHR removes scratches by shaving down the clear coat due to its abrasive properties), detail spray is not a one trick pony.

Because the secret to how detail spray works has a lot to do with how it is manufactured, it is best for you to not only realize that it has a bunch of uses, but what a lot of those uses are. Some have already been mentioned in this thread. Allow me to let Adam speak for his product.

"A better name would have been Instant Car Detail In A Bottle, but we didn't want to brag! IMPROVED! We've lightened the coloring for greater ease of use!

What do you say about a product that cleans, shines and protects just about everything on the exterior of your car? Adam's Detail Spray really is like an instant car detail in a bottle.

Use Adam's Detail Spray on paint, glass, chrome, wheels, grills, and trim to safely clean and shine with just a mist and wipe. This product is so versatile, it's crazy!

When you're short on time to wash your car with a bucket and Adam's Car Wash Shampoo, Adam's Detail Spray is the answer. That's because Adam's Detail Spray is an excellent spray and wipe waterless wash solution. Most cars can be completely and safely cleaned in about ten minutes with less than four ounces of Adam's Detail Spray. Your car will look like it was just washed and waxed.

Do you need a solution for bird and bug crud? Adam's Detail Spray is the answer. Keep a handy four ounce bottle in your glove box for the critter litter all over the front of your beautiful car. Just mist and wipe, and the critter litter is gone.

Our exclusive paint protect formula also makes Adam's Detail Spray a safe and effective lubricant for Adam's Detail Clay. This powerhouse combo cleans and smoothes your paint like no other paint cleaner can.

For a better wash and dry experience, after washing and final rinse, mist Adam's Detail Spray over your car and dry with an Adam's Great White Drying Towel. Here, Adam's Detail Spray acts as a drying agent with a kick. The kick is how fast your car dries and the just waxed shine that returns. In a word, WOW!

Use Adam's Detail Spray under the hood to dust and clean all top-side surfaces. Use it to wipe down door jambs and trunk sills, too. You can even use Adam's Detail Spray on the interior of your car as a dusting agent to wipe down your dash, console, door panels and seats. Just mist your microfiber towel and wipe! It's so easy, never streaks, and it smells great!"

Hopfully, this has answered your question but if not, let me know and we will try again.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:17 AM   #20
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I think I'm gonna have to start buying gallons of this stuff... I use it all the time!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Sorry I'm late to the party guys... I've been slammed this week in preparation to leave for SEMA + the clinic we had on Saturday + trick - or - treating with the little one last night.

Anyways...

Detail Spray is a lot like Ranch Dressing - its good on everything! LOL

Like any quick detailer our Detail Spray started as a "quick fix" solution for car shows. Pull up, park, bust out a couple of towels and your detail spray... knock off all the dust from the drive, add some gloss, done.

As technologies and processes have changed over the years so have the uses for detail spray. It still works great as a quick fix shine adder... it does contain gloss enhancers to make the finish look shiny. It shares a lot of chemical similarities with the liquids in our polishes so it works great as a primer or 're-activator' for a pad already saturated with polish.

Its just the right level of slippery to serve as a clay lubricant. You don't want too slippery so the clay can't work, but you want a little slick so the clay glides. DS seems to strike that balance perfectly.

For dusting purposes its been replaced by our Waterless Wash as WW features more substantial lubrication and is better at safely removing dust/grime from a finish without introducing swirls.

As was mentioned it can be used as a drying agent... lubricates while drying, is slightly hydrophobic so it pushes water from the surface, and the gloss enhancers will deposit on the finish making it glossier than drying without DS.

So basically what started as a quick fix cleanup and shine product for a car show has found its way into use for a number of other things. Like I said... like ranch dressing its good on everything.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
I think I'm gonna have to start buying gallons of this stuff... I use it all the time!
Agreed!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Uncle Harvey

Thanks for all of the answers. Highly informative.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

I was pretty sure Dylan and Junkman would set us straight.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I was pretty sure Dylan and Junkman would set us straight.

I like seeing post where guys are thinking through what they are doing and why. That's refreshing to see as they are seeking a higher level of understanding. Thanks for the heads up!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote