Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Sorry I'm late to the party guys... I've been slammed this week in preparation to leave for SEMA + the clinic we had on Saturday + trick - or - treating with the little one last night.

Anyways...

Detail Spray is a lot like Ranch Dressing - its good on everything! LOL

Like any quick detailer our Detail Spray started as a "quick fix" solution for car shows. Pull up, park, bust out a couple of towels and your detail spray... knock off all the dust from the drive, add some gloss, done.

As technologies and processes have changed over the years so have the uses for detail spray. It still works great as a quick fix shine adder... it does contain gloss enhancers to make the finish look shiny. It shares a lot of chemical similarities with the liquids in our polishes so it works great as a primer or 're-activator' for a pad already saturated with polish.

Its just the right level of slippery to serve as a clay lubricant. You don't want too slippery so the clay can't work, but you want a little slick so the clay glides. DS seems to strike that balance perfectly.

For dusting purposes its been replaced by our Waterless Wash as WW features more substantial lubrication and is better at safely removing dust/grime from a finish without introducing swirls.

As was mentioned it can be used as a drying agent... lubricates while drying, is slightly hydrophobic so it pushes water from the surface, and the gloss enhancers will deposit on the finish making it glossier than drying without DS.

So basically what started as a quick fix cleanup and shine product for a car show has found its way into use for a number of other things. Like I said... like ranch dressing its good on everything.
What if we don't like ranch dressing?

Last edited by Iomcamaro; 11-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I like seeing post where guys are thinking through what they are doing and why. That's refreshing to see as they are seeking a higher level of understanding. Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks to you and Dylan for taking the time to set us straight.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 Jack-O-Lantern
Good info, so I can use it with my fancy new drying towel with no ill effects? Should I wash my towel every time I use this stuff on it?
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #29
redirish

Drives: 2SS/RS/M6/IOM/IOM/WHTRALLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
I've heard of people using it with their drying towels, but if you have white towels, it will turn them pink. It doesn't harm the towel though.
I used the Detail Spray on my dry car with a micro fiber towel and it turned pink.
Is it best to use a micro towel with the detail spray when the car is not wet and is it OK to use the towel with polish/wax once its pink?
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #30
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirish View Post
I used the Detail Spray on my dry car with a micro fiber towel and it turned pink.
Is it best to use a micro towel with the detail spray when the car is not wet and is it OK to use the towel with polish/wax once its pink?
Yea it is ok to use a micro towel with detail spray when the car isn't wet, but it will still turn towels pink. Yes it is still ok to use the towel once it has turned pink. There is not since of throwing a perfectly good towel to waste.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote