Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS Swap to LS3
2012 Camaro V6 Swap to LS3.

Okay, after rounding up the idea of trying an engine swap I finally decided I would try to see how hard this is going to be. Well after talking to my papaw (which is a retired mechanic/painter and owned a body shop for 40 years) we decided that trading in to get a v8 is not an option because of the age I am... Unfortunately. But we got the idea of trying an engine swap, trans swap, drivetrain swap... Pretty much everything off of a SS to my v6.

Now we have bought a donor car and are in the process of going to pick it up in this next week. Now, a few notes for you guys... The donor car is a 2011 SS 2SS, non-RS. Car has 35,000 miles and is white with black stripes (which don't matter, but still). My car is a 2012 V6 2LT/RS with 25,000 miles.

Car picked up from Pennsylvania Monday (8-11-14)

(This Thread Will Be Pic Heavy)
Attached Images

Last edited by AustinWithrow; 08-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.
AustinWithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Can't wait for updates
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
I wanted to do this with Forcer's car. He traded for an SS instead. Keep us posted.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
This is a build I have been waiting for. I priced it back in 2011 but did look good. Wish you the best man! Subscribed!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
Interested.
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Ive considered this as well eventually...but i wont be doing anything until i break the v6 or have over 100k on the odo...just dont want to waste the motor in it now...we've done a bunch of ls1 swaps in 240s...so im sure with time itll become a normal thing...good luck!
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
A little early on the ss badge install? And pics of doner car?

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Great idea, and I support the endeavor. However, you're getting this label. Poseur.

There, I said it. Please don't upbadge your car into something it's not nor ever will be. It's insulting to the hobby. That's my personal opinion and it may not mean squat to you, but it's offputting to me. I quickly lose respect for those that do.

If you're going to mod and hot-rod, do it with integrity. Besides, a wolf in sheep's clothing is far more sinister on the street. They'll expect one thing and get another.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Smokey jr.

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro
ohh lets see...so if el ess A does something to his or her camaro we will call it a modification...but if the young man does something like swapping out a v6 for a v8 will call him or it something else...never mind dink that the kid is spending time with his pop and using his brain and using their money...NOT YOURS...hip hip kid...you aren't turning to buying a tuner car......it's called customizing friend...which takes thought and imagination!!!...ease up and let them be...they aren't hurting you or anyone else...GO GET UM TIGER!!
Smokey jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
AustinWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
Great idea, and I support the endeavor. However, you're getting this label. Poseur.

There, I said it. Please don't upbadge your car into something it's not nor ever will be. It's insulting to the hobby. That's my personal opinion and it may not mean squat to you, but it's offputting to me. I quickly lose respect for those that do.

If you're going to mod and hot-rod, do it with integrity. Besides, a wolf in sheep's clothing is far more sinister on the street. They'll expect one thing and get another.
This is not my DD. I have 2 camaros. Don't worry, I am just getting it ready that way I didn't have to do paint work after I got the motor in.

I have a lot of aftermarket stuff ready to go on as soon as we swap the motor!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
one~Bad~SS

Drives: 2012 1LS IBM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey jr. View Post
ohh lets see...so if el ess A does something to his or her camaro we will call it a modification...but if the young man does something like swapping out a v6 for a v8 will call him or it something else...never mind dink that the kid is spending time with his pop and using his brain and using their money...NOT YOURS...hip hip kid...you aren't turning to buying a tuner car......it's called customizing friend...which takes thought and imagination!!!...ease up and let them be...they aren't hurting you or anyone else...GO GET UM TIGER!!
Agreed, it is just like the old camaros being turned into an SS when it was a V6.... is it not??? and how is he being a poseur? It looks like a V8, will eventually have a V8, so technically it is a V8......the only way you will be able to tell is the VIN which is a number that has nothing to do with this build. Can't wait to see how this turns out! And OP don't let people like this ruin the fun you will have with this project!!!
one~Bad~SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: In circles until I run out of gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by one~Bad~SS View Post
Agreed, it is just like the old camaros being turned into an SS when it was a V6.... is it not??? and how is he being a poseur? It looks like a V8, will eventually have a V8, so technically it is a V8......the only way you will be able to tell is the VIN which is a number that has nothing to do with this build. Can't wait to see how this turns out! And OP don't let people like this ruin the fun you will have with this project!!!
el ess a is just mad his yellow SS camaro with the zl1 spoiler didnt turn into a zl1. Probably started doing the ss to zl1 swap??

Haters gonna hate. He sure as hell has the right to call it an SS if he is doing the full swap. More props to him for attempting to build an SS from scratch!

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
el ess a is just mad his yellow SS camaro with the zl1 spoiler didnt turn into a zl1. Probably started doing the ss to zl1 swap??

Haters gonna hate. He sure as hell has the right to call it an SS if he is doing the full swap. More props to him for attempting to build an SS from scratch!
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Quote:

This is an idiotic statement. It's a mod like anything else. As I've said before, those who know will not be fooled.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
Stealthpanda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Sub'd. Interesting read/journal for sure.
+1
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #16
AustinWithrow

Pictures of the donor car.. Yes, yes the car is tore up bad but anything we need that won't be good on this car will be bought used from members.. Such as the suspension parts I need. Everything underneath of a SS will be swapped to the v6. Such as all suspension, drivetrain, engine, transmission, electronics, exhaust... Etc.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #17
AustinWithrow

Inside picture.. Transmission has dropped some so that's why the stick is down in it!
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
DagoCountyGee

Drives: 2013 BRM Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Interested in this.
DagoCountyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Stealthpanda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:

Yeah, not calling you out or anything, but if he wants to badge his LT/LS as an SS, that's on him. Cheers.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS L99
If some don't like th badges, call it a tribute build.

Good luck man!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
Smokey jr.

Drives: 2011 inferno orange camaro
Great minds speak of ideas...ordinary minds speak of events...simple minds speak down about life ...You need to get a life...and stop worrying about the kid...hey aT least he is taking a interest...IT'S HIS CAR...AND BY THE WAY...HE MIGHT GET A AWARD FOR BEST ENGINEERING...NOW THAT'S USING THE NOGGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smokey jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #22
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I think this is great, even better you sharing this build with your pawpaw, good luck and just ignore all the negative ass bags that have commented. subscribing
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
I'm in!
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, GM Dual mode NPP Exhaust System, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, DOT4 Motul, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
Quote:

That's a stupid statement!

Anyone who is going to spend this much modding a V6 with a V8 engine deserves to badge it however he or she choices.

Me personally, I'd leave the V6 badging on so I can scare the crap out of V8 cars once this is done. lol
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, GM Dual mode NPP Exhaust System, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, DOT4 Motul, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #25
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Subed, curious to see how this will go.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote