Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #51
WAY2FAST

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Pukeeen won't a dime from me.

I'm with Moose, Tom Henry FTW!!!
OKAY WHAT's FTW???????????
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #52
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
For The Win...

It took me a while to figure it out also....
Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #53
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
assembling the car from the ones GM provided is not creating the only input he might of had was the color and stripes, and that we will never be shure of given how much he lied.
i just meant that he had his hands in both of them.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #54
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
Agreed or Lingenfelter. Ill be watching what he does with this.
+10
Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #55
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
For The Win...

It took me a while to figure it out also....
Oh ok thank you also did not know
Old 01-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #56
WestsideReaper
Westside Forever!

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ah...interseting, wow thought he was just fords man, well honestly I really dont have anything against the guy. Right now the auto industry is hurting, if that meens bringing in a guy like saleen to push more options for the Camaro then I say all power to him. Sure I agree with the rest of you Tom Henry, Callaway, Ligenfielter etc. are my first choices but it may open doors for people who are on the fence. Look at it this way a guy may like the look of a saleen Mustang but really want a Camaro, so now that saleen is willing to help boost sales for GM then go ahead. Besides Im not saying its the best thing in the world but we havent seen what one lookes like yet, sure its probably going to be a very expensive piece of eye candy but you just never know, all Im saying is Im not counting my chickens before they hatch, no I wont support buying one but its a business.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #57
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
I just found a picture on his website of what his vision of a Saleen Camaro would look like...........
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #58
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I personally don't see anything wrong with any company going forward to promote their brand of improvements to the Camaro. If one looks at the SLP offerings of late, the support for GM products isn't what it used to be.

It is a business decision. If Saleen can make the Camaro even more desirable to more Customers. That is all the better for everyone else who likes the car.

Get over the past, too many people are throwing out arguments based on not very objective looks at what can be done to improve a situation.

I say full speed ahead and let's boost the sales of this car.

Anything that helps any of the Detroit Three get more market share and improve business conditions is something we should all be supporting.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
So, what you're saying is that any car touched by an aftermarker tuner needs to be upgraded? Think about it. Callaway, Lingenfelter, etc. have been working on 'vette's and Vipers for decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz62601 View Post
But its no different then Carol Shelby building a mustang, a viper etc. etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
i wouldn't buy one, especially after seeing him on video trashing GM about the camaro in front of mustang owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1147 View Post
That arrogant POS will never get a dime from me....hope his company goes under too!!

This tells the story of a poor little man named Steve S.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #59
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
http://www.lingenfelter.com/Lingenfe...te520HPLS3.htm
Old 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #60
Mr Twisty

525 hp for 8995.

Check out the twin turbo vette while you're there.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #61
2sharp

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz62601 View Post
But its no different then Carol Shelby building a mustang, a viper etc. etc

But Carroll Shelby is a legend...........Saleen is not
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #62
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
What has always been interesting to me was the reality of Saleen Mustangs selling for premium prices at the Various Muscle Car Auctions I have been to.

Hopefully, this type of scenario does the same for Camaros.

Whether or not SMS has a significant impact on Camaro Sales, remains to be seen.

To me, at least, anything to boost sales is a plus. Sorry, to all the Saleen haters out there, but, business is business.

Support the Detroit Three!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #63
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
525 hp for 8995.

Check out the twin turbo vette while you're there.
Too bad 1/2 that price you are paying for is just the name. $8995 is ALOT of money for 525hp and that's just at the crank.

You could spend $500 for a cam, $1500-2000 for a full exhaust system (headers/x-pipe/cat-back setup), $300-500 for a CAI and then get a tune and even with labor with a high estimate it shouldn't cost much more than $4K and you'd prob get more than 525hp at the crank.
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #64
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Saleen SMS Camaro in the works

I may have to hold out for one of these!

http://wot.motortrend.com/6410695/au...les/index.html
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #65
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11393
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #66
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Too bad 1/2 that price you are paying for is just the name. $8995 is ALOT of money for 525hp and that's just at the crank.

You could spend $500 for a cam, $1500-2000 for a full exhaust system (headers/x-pipe/cat-back setup), $300-500 for a CAI and then get a tune and even with labor with a high estimate it shouldn't cost much more than $4K and you'd prob get more than 525hp at the crank.
Never said you couldn't do it cheaper....Here's the problem tho.

You do it and you've effectively de-valued the car.
Lingenfelter does it and the car is at least worth more than it was initially.
Don't believe me? Check ebay for hotrodded vettes, then check for Lingenfelter vettes. Perception is a strange thing.

You gonna do your own wrenching at those prices? Also gonna need head porting to get those numbers.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #67
War Eagle

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, Avanti, 2010 GT500
I don't know what the total package will look like and cost for the Camaro but his Mustangs are way overpriced, ugly and are not selling.

Also now that he has alienated most of the Camaro lovers with his comments he may find the sales of his camaros even worse than the Saleen Mustang.

Steve

Back in a Chevelle after 41 years.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #68
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
What has always been interesting to me was the reality of Saleen Mustangs selling for premium prices at the Various Muscle Car Auctions I have been to.

Hopefully, this type of scenario does the same for Camaros.

Whether or not SMS has a significant impact on Camaro Sales, remains to be seen.

To me, at least, anything to boost sales is a plus. Sorry, to all the Saleen haters out there, but, business is business.

Support the Detroit Three!!!!

It wouldn't boost business. Google or youtube the video where Saleen talks about GM, then think about this...

If GM does business with someone who talks shit about how terrible they are, what does that say about GM?

IMVHO, that would LOSE business instead of gain it.

As for supporting the three. I will be supporting the three by buying my car and promoting it around the streets. If Saleen really wants to enter the market and modify the car he so thoroughly tried to trash, he should buy the cars at a marked up price to give GM some retribution.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #69
Extinct

Drives: 2002 Firehawk, 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I tend to side with those who say "anything that can help improve the longevity of the Camaro".....we'll take all the help we can get.

The way I see things is this....I don't want to see another "hiatus" or "end of the Camaro" anytime. With our struggling economy, it will be wonderful to have the Camaro surface and hopefully *FINGERS CROSSED* help bring GM's head above water. If that takes the combined efforts of the import tuners turning a few thousand Camaros into "rice rockets" along with the efforts of companies like Saleen, Lingenfelter, SLP, THR, etc....I really don't mind.

I've realized that regardless of my preferences, there are going to be Camaros with huge wings, gawdy body kits and more vinyl graphics than you can fit on a school bus. Same way there are going to be stripped down, steamrollers for tires, mean street machines. As long as I have the ability to build my dream Camaro....I'm happy.

I have a feeling that it's going to take a big effort from everyone willing to keep the Camaro around...so I say, welcome aboard Steve Saleen...

Note: I'll be cruising in a Nickey or a THR before I'm caught in a Saleen Camaro or something from SLP (still not happy about G8 Firehawks :( ).

-Matt
Old 01-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #70
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #386
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Never said you couldn't do it cheaper....Here's the problem tho.

You do it and you've effectively de-valued the car.
Lingenfelter does it and the car is at least worth more than it was initially.
Don't believe me? Check ebay for hotrodded vettes, then check for Lingenfelter vettes. Perception is a strange thing.

You gonna do your own wrenching at those prices? Also gonna need head porting to get those numbers.
Look at how much someone paid to buy their Lingenfelter vette to begin with and how much they actually can end up getting for it. Of course they get more than a regular modded vette cause they paid $10-20K ontop of the sticker price of the car. Both cars are de-valued. The ratio of what you paid and how much you get back out of it is alot worse with a Lingenfelter than a normally modded ride.

And no I wouldn't be doing my own wrenching I figured 800-1000 bucks for labor into the $4K total price
SIM | A6 | Black 10-Spoke Wheels | ECF Hood Insert | Illuminated Footwells | Satin Nickel Fuel Door
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #71
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Okay, you know what, I refrained from saying anything in the “Saleen trashed the Camaro” thread, but enough is enough. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to buy whatever car they want and, if they desire to do so, have it massaged by an aftermarket tuner, some things need to be said.

One. If you watch the YouTube video where Steve Saleen was addressing the crowd at a gathering of Mustang aficionados, it is true that the Camaro was the focus of his humor. However, if you really believe that he was trying to take credit for the design and engineering of the car, then you are really, really reaching. Like others have already pointed out, he was simply stating that he “built” the Camaro used in the Transformers movie (which he did, based on the templates provided to him by GM, on a different cars chassis). What would you expect from someone who has been invited to speak to a bunch of Mustang owners? A diatribe about how great GM products are? How many of you on this forum, let alone at a gathering of Camaro-specific enthusiasts, poke fun and take pot-shots at the Mustang and Ford?

Two. I am confident that the vast majority of people who have said they would not buy a Saleen Camaro or purchase any of the parts he is going to offer for that car are not basing that decision off anything remotely related to how the final version of the Saleen Camaro will look/perform. They are basing their decision on the mere fact that, in the past, Saleen chose to build his cars around the Mustang platform. Although it is a very flimsy reason, so be it. However, I will let you know that the vast majority of the people who are likely to hold that opinion are not in the target demographic that Steve Saleen is going after, so I’m not sure that the money you don’t plan to spend on his products will ever be missed.

Three. I am a fan of the earlier fox-body based Saleen Mustangs but, like many others I know, I was not a big fan of a his SN-95 based cars and even less so of the 2005-2009 versions of the S197 platform. I consider his later cars too flashy, busy and over-the-top for my tastes.

Four. Saleen did/does a whole lot more than simply modify Mustangs. If you will actually take the time to read about the man and all the things he does, you’d be surprised on how much knowledge he has and what he has brought to the table in terms of aftermarket performance. If you think all that Saleen brings to the table is a body kit and some go-fast aftermarket goodies for Mustangs, then I suggest you take a look at the S7.

Five. From a business perspective, Steve is doing exactly what he needs to do to position his company for continued success and bring his own unique visions to the marketplace. Not only is this good for Steve Saleen, but it’s great for the domestic automobile industry as a whole. If you hold such a myopic view of things that you cannot see this, then I can do nothing but simply feel sorry for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #72
Mr Twisty

Value sells cars. Saleen wouldn't do squat for the car.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #73
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

I know that Steve Saleen has quite a bit of knowledge of cars and how they work. I recognize that he had the S7 designed and built when he was still with his company. I would love to own a S351 (the one year they made of it).

I don't take potshots at mustangs because I respect them and the people that drive them. I wish him well with his new business.

But if you're going to trashtalk something, then turn around and say you're going to offer your own version of it, you can suck a fat one...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #74
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I know that Steve Saleen trashed the Camaro, but part of me wants to see the Camaro.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #75
Brent87LT1
Sarcastic

Drives: like a maniac!
Actually, his versions have added value. You CANNOT buy a used Saleen for the same price as a used GT (in like condition).

I looked at a '93 Saleen #54 last weekend. $20K. It will bring close to that as this car is near perfect. However, no '93 GT I've ever seen would bring within $10K of that.

I'm not a huge fan of his don't get me wrong. He nearly put the whole crowd to sleep at the Mid America Ford meet a few years back. I do, however, have a lot of respect for someone who starts their own Supercar from scratch. How many american supercars are there? 4. And three are from the big three.

Closed Thread