Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #101
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
He left the company. Coincidentally (I think) a little while after his mustang luncheon with the infamous "speech". Saleen is still going strong from what I know, but I'm just a nobody.

Steve's reason for leaving was that he wanted to work with imports and Saleen didn't want to. He left to create his own company for creative design as opposed to being pigeonholed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #102
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Steve's reason for leaving was that he wanted to work with imports and Saleen didn't want to. He left to create his own company for creative design as opposed to being pigeonholed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If that's true, then that's just one more mark against him for me. I really don't like this guy...or his overpriced cars.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #103
Sharpe

Drives: White/White '99 Z28 M6 Y3F
I can feel the love in here.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #104
Elvis-Freshley

Drives: Many White Cadillacs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis-Freshley View Post
Man all you Folks are Big on Tom Henry

He's Cool

But Shoot

GIMME A YENKO CAMARO BABY

Bring Don Yenko Back Son

Shoot if i somehow strike it rich within these next few months all my Mods are gonna go to Replicate a Yenko (R.I.P)

YENKO>SALEEN

GET IT CUHHHHHHHHHH
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #105
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Let's remove the Steve Saleen factor from this discussion for just a moment.

What if every aftermarket "tuner" Camaro followed his formula? That is, they start with a 1SS Camaro (that they buy at a discount from GM) and charge $60K for it after adding a supercharger (on top of the stock block and heads), stiffen up the suspension, modify the exhaust, plus make various exterior (new fascias, hood and spoilers) and interior trim upgrades. Whose tuner Camaro with these mods is worth $60K? Yenko? Baldwin Motion?

Last edited by littlecammi; 01-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #106
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:

GET IT CUHHHHHHHHHH
Sorry but as much as I would like to see a 5th Yenko Camaro It won't happen. For the simple fact that Don Yenko has passed away and the dealership closed down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
TOM HENRY RACING
Whoa wait a second, since when did he change his name from little weasel?
I'm lost right now.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #107
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I respect the product. But both Roush and Saleen will be fighting the battle of winning Chevy enthusiast over. That won't be easy. The name recognition that serves them so well now, will only serve to hurt them where we are concerned. Enthusiasts won't want to associate their cars with long time Ford Tuners. Call it immature if you want. But I'm sure a die hard Mustang guy won't want Callaway on their car.

I love roush mustangs! I would love to have a roush camaro over a saleen camaro

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #108
Elvis-Freshley

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post

What if every aftermarket "tuner" Camaro followed his formula? That is, they start with a 1SS Camaro (that they buy at a discount from GM) and charge $60K for it after adding a supercharger (on top of the stock block and heads), stiffen up the suspension, modify the exhaust, plus make various exterior (new fascias, hood and spoilers) and interior trim upgrades. Whose tuner Camaro with these mods is worth $60K? Yenko? Baldwin Motion?

Roush is able to charge a bit less for a lot of their modified Mustangs than the Saleen company charges. But that is because Roush doesn't replace the hood (they only add their own design scoop) and doesn't replace the rear fascia (they only add their own design rear spoiler). The Saleen Mustangs are easier to identify by their different body panels. Roush Mustangs need the unique vinyl tape striping that Roush adds to help tell their cars apart from standard Mustang GTs. I only bring this up lest someone propose that a Yenko Camaro would be priced more like a Roush than a Saleen. But the Yenko would be equipped more like the Saleens, if the Yenko included replacing the stock hood with the hood with the '67 'vette scoop and stinger.

Man Yenko was a dealership not some fancy Saleen BS

Yenko sold Camaros

He just thought they were underpowered so he Yenkofyed Emm

Which means putting in a L-72 427

and a fiberglass hood

Yenko was a Chevy man threw and threw

And his didnt cost a arm and a leg like Saleen

SYC

Yenko Super Chevy

I know he has passed and we will not see a True Yenko

But i would love to see a concept with the SYC decals and seats

DON YENKO> QUEEF SALEEN
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #109
Elvis-Freshley

Quote:
Man Yenko was a dealership not some fancy Saleen BS

Yenko sold Camaros

He just thought they were underpowered so he Yenkofyed Emm

Which means putting in a L-72 427

and a fiberglass hood

Yenko was a Chevy man threw and threw

And his didnt cost a arm and a leg like Saleen

SYC

Yenko Super Chevy

I know he has passed and we will not see a True Yenko

But i would love to see a concept with the SYC decals and seats

DON YENKO> QUEEF SALEEN
Hell does he have a son or grandson?

Any Yenko's Left

Have them bring back the brand and apply that to a 5th Gen

DAMN that would be truely sick that would combat that Saleen HARD

DUDE YALL FANCY PEOPLE CONCEPT A YENKO PLEASE!
Penske/ Sunoco 3 3.30%
Foose 9 9.89%
Yenko / COPO 39 42.86%
Other (Specify) 4 4.40%

From 5thgen.org
Old 01-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #110
1967rsss

Drives: 67, 68, 88, 98, 10, 12 ZL1 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Thanks for the link
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #111
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
You know reading the Challenger release (oh god here it comes... ) i think the challenger might actually be a viable sports car when Saleen gets done with it... between the extra ponies out of the Hemi (already somewhere near 450hp before s/c) and the 6 speed manual tranny along with the extra downforce (that boat looks like it gets lift at around 150mph) provided by the front splitter and the rear spoiler this might be a challenge for the production SS Camaro lol maybe Dodge needs to look at the SMS challenger and learn a thing or two.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #112
oramac0002

Drives: 2000 Camaro
I would never buy a saleen camaro bc everytime I hear his name I think of those over priced pieces of s##t that he builds and to me its not worth it unless it's Tom Henry, SLP, GMMG, and Lingenfelter.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #113
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:

Roush is able to charge a bit less for a lot of their modified Mustangs than the Saleen company charges. But that is because Roush doesn't replace the hood (they only add their own design scoop) and doesn't replace the rear fascia (they only add their own design rear spoiler). The Saleen Mustangs are easier to identify by their different body panels. Roush Mustangs need the unique vinyl tape striping that Roush adds to help tell their cars apart from standard Mustang GTs. I only bring this up lest someone propose that a Yenko Camaro would be priced more like a Roush than a Saleen. But the Yenko would be equipped more like the Saleens, if the Yenko included replacing the stock hood with the hood with the '67 'vette scoop and stinger.
Ummm.... Even the Roush Stage 1 features unique front and rear fascias (including taillight panel), unique spoiler, side skirts, window vents, basically all the same junk as a Saleen does. The difference is Roush is larger than Saleen, and they build way more of them, offer many different versions, and do more of their own manufacturing so hence some models are cheaper. There is NO mistaking a Roush with a regular GT.... In fact many Roush Models look more aggressive than their equivalent Saleens. That said, the Stage 1 is barely much more than a body kit and some MINOR boltons. Stage 2 adds more boltons and suspension bits, Stage 3 is where you finally get a Supercharger. They also have cheap V6 and Sport Models (stickers and body kits), in addition to the 427R and so forth (total of 14 models - some very limited editions) which are priced in the range of equivalent Saleen models.

Saleen however offers 7 models, 5 of which are Supercharged, and even the N/A models are cranked up compared to a Stock GT (such as a 390 hp 5 liter). Either way they all ain't cheap.

I guess my point is comparing price between the two is irrelevant, you need to get into the more heavily modified ones to be equivalent, and there the price is similar.
I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Daily Driver
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1993 Volkswagen Fox - Race Car (yes seriously)

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #114
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Might ask Mr. Guldstrand if he could see what he could do with it if you could get his head out from under that vette hood long enough to look!

He was on a Jay Leno vid, 80 year old kid lol. They don't make drivers like that anymore...And VERY intelligent guy.

Screw Saleen...Oh I already said that. Well, screw him again.

I don't know when weasel changed his name, maybe he weren't gettin no respekt from his kin-folk widda name like dat lol
Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #115
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Screw Saleen...Oh I already said that. Well, screw him again.
YEAH!! He needs to see some of these
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #116
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
'garagelogic', you are well entitled to your opinions, and they are welcome here.

And it appears that you're a fan of Saleen, which is all fine and well.

That being said, there are many who are not fans of Saleen, for whatever the reason may be, and their opinions are welcome and respected.

I'd ask that everyone be respectful of each others opinions and not imply that opinions are based on ignorance, ie; "if you will actually take the time...".

This thread appears to be headed towards a "heated" discussion, () and I'd ask folks to think before posting, accept each others opinions, and accept the fact that everyone will have a different opinion and not jump to the conclusion that because ones opinion doesnt match what yours is, that they're ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Okay, you know what, I refrained from saying anything in the “Saleen trashed the Camaro” thread, but enough is enough. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to buy whatever car they want and, if they desire to do so, have it massaged by an aftermarket tuner, some things need to be said.

One. If you watch the YouTube video where Steve Saleen was addressing the crowd at a gathering of Mustang aficionados, it is true that the Camaro was the focus of his humor. However, if you really believe that he was trying to take credit for the design and engineering of the car, then you are really, really reaching. Like others have already pointed out, he was simply stating that he “built” the Camaro used in the Transformers movie (which he did, based on the templates provided to him by GM, on a different cars chassis). What would you expect from someone who has been invited to speak to a bunch of Mustang owners? A diatribe about how great GM products are? How many of you on this forum, let alone at a gathering of Camaro-specific enthusiasts, poke fun and take pot-shots at the Mustang and Ford?

Two. I am confident that the vast majority of people who have said they would not buy a Saleen Camaro or purchase any of the parts he is going to offer for that car are not basing that decision off anything remotely related to how the final version of the Saleen Camaro will look/perform. They are basing their decision on the mere fact that, in the past, Saleen chose to build his cars around the Mustang platform. Although it is a very flimsy reason, so be it. However, I will let you know that the vast majority of the people who are likely to hold that opinion are not in the target demographic that Steve Saleen is going after, so I’m not sure that the money you don’t plan to spend on his products will ever be missed.

Three. I am a fan of the earlier fox-body based Saleen Mustangs but, like many others I know, I was not a big fan of a his SN-95 based cars and even less so of the 2005-2009 versions of the S197 platform. I consider his later cars too flashy, busy and over-the-top for my tastes.

Four. Saleen did/does a whole lot more than simply modify Mustangs. If you will actually take the time to read about the man and all the things he does, you’d be surprised on how much knowledge he has and what he has brought to the table in terms of aftermarket performance. If you think all that Saleen brings to the table is a body kit and some go-fast aftermarket goodies for Mustangs, then I suggest you take a look at the S7.

Five. From a business perspective, Steve is doing exactly what he needs to do to position his company for continued success and bring his own unique visions to the marketplace. Not only is this good for Steve Saleen, but it’s great for the domestic automobile industry as a whole. If you hold such a myopic view of things that you cannot see this, then I can do nothing but simply feel sorry for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #117
gsxrpilot

Drives: 1969 Z28
Just for reference he produced a car that was suppose to be a racer. He is not "Shebly" and never will be! If you want a Z-28 Buy a ZR-1 crate motor and build your own! I worked for a S7 dealer that never got it's car.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #118
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

By the way. I think we all agree that this isn't purely because Saleen has such a huge history with the Mustang.
If Carol Shelby himself made his own version of the Camaro I would more than welcome it. It's just the fact that Steve Saleen's previous comments prove that he's just a greedy jerk going out to get people's money by expanding his repertoire.
And that's just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #119
littlecammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Comparing price between the Roush and Saleen tuner Mustangs is irrelevant, you need to get into the more heavily modified ones to be equivalent, and there the price is similar.
I am now so sorry that I included the final paragraph about some differences between Roush Mustangs and Saleen Mustangs that I have deleted it from my post. Roush versus Saleen really has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. I initially included that paragraph hoping to prevent someone alse from bringing up Roush because they felt that I had overlooked Roush. Instead, including the paragraph caused Rogue Leader to focus on Roush versus Saleen and ignore the real question I was asking.

My point was this: SMS will add a supercharger to the stock block and heads of a 5.7L Challenger R/T (plus other stuff, of course) and charge $60K for it. Fairly obvious that SMS will be doing the same things to a 1SS Camaro and charge the same $60K for it. A lot of posters seem to dislike Saleen, so we need to eliminate him and SMS from the equation. So, other than SMS, whose tuner Camaro would you pay $60K for, if they left the LS3 block and heads totally stock and added a supercharger and the rest of their package?

Would anyone pay any tuner company $60K for a supercharged Camaro that doesn't even have a forged crank and forged connecting rods? If so, what legendary name would make it worth the money? Mustang owners are willing to pay more for models with the Shelby name on them. Is there a name that would make you pay big to have it on your tuner Camaro?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #120
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Would anyone pay any tuner company $60K for a supercharged Camaro that doesn't even have a forged crank and forged connecting rods? If so, what legendary name would make it worth the money? Mustang owners are willing to pay more for models with the Shelby name on them. Is there a name that would make you pay big to have it on your tuner Camaro?
I don't think that any real chevy tuner would charge $60K for a supercharger and no forged crank, connecting rods...etc.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #121
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Some posts have been removed. Please refrain from name calling. You're free to express your disinterest in anything Saleen related, but please post in a mature manner. No need for foul language, name calling or other unbecoming posts. Further posts of this type will be removed.

Thank you.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #122
littlecammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I don't think that any real chevy tuner would charge $60K for a supercharger and no forged crank, connecting rods, etc.
Count on it! That's exactly what Steve Saleen has announced SMS is doing to the 5.7L Challenger R/T. And I guarantee that SMS will be doing the same thing to the 1SS Camaro once they have been out for several months and they can get them from GM at a discount. Roush and Saleen have been supercharging the 4.6L 3-valve Mustang GTs for years without forging the internals. It is very cost effective for tuners not to have to open up the stock motor.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #123
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Count on it! That's exactly what Steve Saleen has announced SMS is doing to the 5.7L Challenger R/T. And I guarantee that SMS will be doing the same thing to the 1SS Camaro once they have been out for several months and they can get them from GM at a discount. Roush and Saleen have been supercharging the 4.6L 3-valve Mustang GTs for years without forging the internals. It is very cost effective for tuners not to have to open up the stock motor.
You missed the part where I said Real Chevy Tuners
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #124
littlecammi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
You missed the part where I said Real Chevy Tuners
No, I didn't. Any tuner basically wants to get $30K for their appearance and performance package which includes bolting a supercharger to the stock block and heads. Any tuner includes every tuner, even real Chevy tuners. And they all start with the cheapest V8 model they can, so their $30K add-on doesn't push the total price over the $60K price point. That's why tuners start with the 4.6L Mustang GT (and not the 5.4L GT500) and that's why SMS is starting with the 5.7L Challenger R/T (and not the 6.1L SRT8). And you can darn sure bet that Chevy tuners will be starting with the 1SS Camaro and putting a supercharger on the stock block and heads and want to get that $30K additional for their package just like the rest.

And if someone like Lingenfelter does forge the internals before adding a twin screw supercharger, the deluxe model will cost a lot more than $60K.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #125
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
No, I didn't. Any tuner basically wants to get $30K for their appearance and performance package which includes bolting a supercharger to the stock block and heads. Any tuner includes every tuner, even real Chevy tuners. And they all start with the cheapest V8 model they can, so their $30K add-on doesn't push the total price over the $60K price point. That's why tuners start with the 4.6L Mustang GT (and not the 5.4L GT500) and that's why SMS is starting with the 5.7L Challenger R/T (and not the 6.1L SRT8). And you can darn sure bet that Chevy tuners will be starting with the 1SS Camaro and putting a supercharger on the stock block and heads and want to get that $30K additional for their package just like the rest.

And if someone like Lingenfelter does forge the internals before adding a twin screw supercharger, the deluxe model will cost a lot more than $60K.
I guess only time will really tell what will happen. I still seriously doubt that most (excluding SMS) will charge that much for so little.

Closed Thread