Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
CamaroFemme

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Do Your Good Deed For The Day: Help A Suspension Noob

Car is my daily driver and will probably never see a track. The fiance' doesn't want to lower it (but is wavering in this..oh yes, he is) so my question is...what suspension mods do you recommend that won't sacrifice too much ride quality?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
VEESIKS
formerly 2011Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS IBM M6
From what I understand by reading some posts on here is that lowering doesn't take too much effect on ride quality on the 5th gens. The general feel seems to be that it's a LITTLE firmer but nothing too bad to complain about.
2011 IBM M6 Built 06/17/2010 Injen CAI,Black Ice-olator, Barton shifter, BBK LT's, DSS aluminum driveshaft, VMAX TB, RX Intake Manifold/Catch-can/Breather, Corsa catback, 18" MSR 045's, Nitto NT555's, FE3 SS springs and sways, Trifecta Tuning. Best ET so far in the 1/8th 9.301
Born on the Island and raised in the sand.
Semper Fidelis
VEESIKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
CamaroFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Camaro View Post
From what I understand by reading some posts on here is that lowering doesn't take too much effect on ride quality on the 5th gens. The general feel seems to be that it's a LITTLE firmer but nothing too bad to complain about.
Well, the main reason is that I live in the countryside, and the roads aren't the best here, so I was looking into what I could do WITHOUT lowering (but again, that isn't set in stone. Feel free to talk up the benefits of lowering.)
Old 11-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to danhr
trailing arms would be a good starting point
Old 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
Go here all the info you need, also see post 19 and 20 its where I ask about mine and daily driving.
And no I have not gotten around to it yet. :(
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Ride quality will suffer when a spring is shortened to do the job or the spring rate is increased during the "winding" of some "lowering" springs.

Of course all of this could be avoided by using coilovers. Most co's use a threaded shock body for raising/lowering adjustments and don't affect spring rate with these changes. But they are pricey compared to lowering springs....

If you can find a set that only lowers up to 1.00in, the inherent spring rate increase should be very minimal/livable. You will do more for the handling of the car by doing sway bars than springs until you really start pushing things.

Just my .02 worth. I have Pfadt bars & CO's and them btw
Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
CamaroFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You will do more for the handling of the car by doing sway bars than springs until you really start pushing things.
Speaking of pushing things, I suppose I should add that the car is currently stock, with plans to get a CAI and custom tune, and perhaps exhaust. That will probably be it.

Probably.

Thanks to all, and keep the good advice coming.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
A good lowering spring will improve the looks of the ride height but ALL will make your car ride stiffer. If someone says it's the same as stock, they're lying. Ride stiffness is VERY subjective and can only be assessed by YOU. What may feel nice to one person might feel like riding in a wagon to another. My advise is to find someone close to you that has springs and take a ride. If they're nice, they'll let you drive it to see how you like them. I did that very thing for a local C5 member. You will get a dozen different answers as to which is best.

I chose Pfadts for a few different reasons. The main one being that they are a top notch company that has lots of experince with suspension parts for Corvettes and now Camaro's. They also lowered the car just a tad more than most others while staying within the range to get the alignment good without any extra parts. They advertise a drop of ~1.25in which, IMO, is absolutely perfect for the Camaro. Once you drop below the 1.25in range, you run the risk of needing alignment add-ons parts. The ride is definitely stiffer but IMO not bad at all. In stock form the car floats and does't give you a good feel for the road. Adding springs increases the feel of the road and gives you more control. Adding sways, especially the rear, really tightens things up. That's the feeling I had when I added the rear bar. I drove it for two days before I added the front. The front didn't make as much difference after the rear but it was noticeably better.

Seeing that Pfadt chose to only offer the one size spring, if I wanted the standard 1in drop, I would have chosen Pedders or possibly BMR or Hotchkis. All four are within ~$20 of eachother when not on sale. Pfadt has a SEMA special going on right now that has their springs and both sways on sale for $600 with free shipping. That's $170 off their regular price. I'm sure others have sales going on but i'm not aware of them. Eibachs and Vogtlands are the known cheaper brands. If you want the cheapest price on springs, those are probably your best bet.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
roccky08

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White/Beige Interior
I would say start with upgraded sway bars, and trailing arms. If adjustable coilovers are within your budget, go for it. I recently upgraded my Suspension with Pfadt coilovers, sway bars, BMR trailing arm and Toe rods and the car handles incredibly well. I couldn't be happier
- Pfadt End-links - Installed
- Pfadt Strut Tower Brace - Pending
- BMR Trailing Arm - Installed
- BMR Toe Rod - Installed
Thank you Vengeance Racing for install and recommendation
Thank you Borla for the ATAK Exhaust
roccky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
hypurone

Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFemme View Post
Speaking of pushing things, I suppose I should add that the car is currently stock, with plans to get a CAI and custom tune, and perhaps exhaust. That will probably be it.

Probably.
Yeah sure! Keep tellin' your self that. It doesn't work. Resistance is futile!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Yeah sure! Keep tellin' your self that. It doesn't work. Resistance is futile!
+1 BILLION.

Modding is like a drug. Once you start, it's hard to stop.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I personally went with coilovers because they retain the full range of spring compression. As mentioned earlier lowering springs reduce the overall travel. I lost very little ride quality and the best thing is the ride quality is adjustable to 30 settings so I can adjust to stock anytime. Of course coilovers are a lot more expensive than springs but I also have complete adjustibilty on ride height. I lowered mine over 2.25" all the way around and I can raise it up anytime. My alignment is ideal too for an aggressive street setup.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
+1 BILLION.

Modding is like a drug. Once you start, it's hard to stop.
Wait, wut? You can stop?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
CamaroFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I personally went with coilovers because they retain the full range of spring compression. As mentioned earlier lowering springs reduce the overall travel. I lost very little ride quality and the best thing is the ride quality is adjustable to 30 settings so I can adjust to stock anytime. Of course coilovers are a lot more expensive than springs but I also have complete adjustibilty on ride height. I lowered mine over 2.25" all the way around and I can raise it up anytime. My alignment is ideal too for an aggressive street setup.
Since no one I know has a vehicle w/ suspension mods, I like the idea of being able to change something back to stock if I don't like it. How much are coilovers?

*braces self*
Old 11-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
thedonkeyslayer

Drives: XK 4x4 Ordered '11 2SS/RS SW LS3
Quote:
Since no one I know has a vehicle w/ suspension mods, I like the idea of being able to change something back to stock if I don't like it. How much are coilovers?

*braces self*

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94734

"Use discount code "CAM5FORUM" at checkout and get the Camaro5 member special! $2099 SHIPPED!!!"
thedonkeyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
seddon

Drives: RED JEWEL 2SS
Quote:

*braces self*
Coilover's range from $1k to $3k plus cost of install if you are not up to the task. I would recommend pedders,pfadt, or kw.
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:

*braces self*
Yes CO's are the best but that comes with a price. I think the KW 1's are $1k and the Pfadts are over $2k. They all pretty much fall inbetween. That's a lot of jack if you have no plans to race it or show it. It's all a matter of what you can afford and if you think it's worth it.

The problem with adjusting the ride height is that you'll need to have it realigned everytime you change ride height. If you don't, your tire wear will suffer and car may not feel right as the tires aren't riding the way they're suppose to.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Femme, when you say you are looking for suspension mods, what are you looking to do with the car? Do you want to lower it for looks? Do you want better handling, cornering, braking?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
CamaroSS8491

Drives: 2010 SS/RS LS-3
All I can tell you is what I did. I got pfadt lower springs, subframe bushings, front and rear sway bars, and trailing arms.

I love the ride it is close to a stock ride and it is very fun to drive on back country roads. I also like the aggressive stance that the lowering springs give the camaro. Me personally, this will give you the best bang for your buck....
CamaroSS8491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Car is my daily driver and will probably never see a track. The fiance' doesn't want to lower it (but is wavering in this..oh yes, he is) so my question is...what suspension mods do you recommend that won't sacrifice too much ride quality?
If you are looking to improve street handling without changing out your stock springs I would recommend a set of Pfadt sport adjustable sway bars as a good starting point. Upgrading your stock bushings also makes a big difference.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
for a good start i say pedders daily driver kit, it will tighten up the mushy bushings but still give you a very nice ride quality
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
CamaroFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Femme, when you say you are looking for suspension mods, what are you looking to do with the car? Do you want to lower it for looks? Do you want better handling, cornering, braking?
Doc! How are you, darlin'? Like I said, mod noob here, so "improve the car without sacrificing too much in the way of ride quality" is basically my mission statement at the moment. I suppose what I want to know is, what will give me the most bang for my buck in terms of getting power to the wheels better + improved handling?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
B1urr

Drives: SIM 2010 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonkeyslayer View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94734

"Use discount code "CAM5FORUM" at checkout and get the Camaro5 member special! $2099 SHIPPED!!!"
Yep i think i threw up a little... Damn thats expensive! But hey you get what you pay for I guess
HIDs (non RS),
CGM bowties,
Custom exhaust,
20" Axis Zeros riding on Pirelli Zero Scorpion tires
Gloss black bumble bee stripes,
Injen short ram intake.
More mods to come!
B1urr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #24
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
As what seems to be the general consensus, bushings and swaybars will make the most noticeable difference in handling without lowering the vehicle. If lowering, we have a set of 1" lowering springs that come very close to maintaining the OE ride. As mentioned above, it is just not physically possible to increase spring rates without firming up the ride somewhat. The good news is that this chassis and suspension is designed very well. It is much more "accepting" when it comes to increases in spring rate and swaybar rate. You can run a larger rate increase in this platform than previous platforms before the ride quality is significantly reduced.

A combination of springs, swaybars, and bushings will inspire more confidence in the driver by making the car more predictable and consistent while cornering. This, in turn puts more fun into your driving experience

Click HERE for the full line of BMR suspension products for your Fifth Gen.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote